+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Breed of Tight End

Was reading an article on the NY Times ( subscription ) that the only to truly stop these guys is to press them at the line and disrupt the timing. They are not the quarter horse type of receiver and take a little longer to get up to speed.
    It might seem obvious but John Lynch ( not a bad safety [6]and Bobby Beatherd both feel they are given way too much of a free release. You cannot let these guys get into the holes in a zone untouched in any way. Vernon Davis might not be the Gronk or J Graham but we'll see how we defend him this weekend......................................

Re: New Breed of Tight End

[quote user="RedskinHater"]Was reading an article on the NY Times ( subscription ) that the only to truly stop these guys is to press them at the line and disrupt the timing. They are not the quarter horse type of receiver and take a little longer to get up to speed.
    *It might seem obvious but John Lynch ( not a bad safety [6]and Bobby Beatherd both feel they are given way too much of a free release. You cannot let these guys get into the holes in a zone untouched in any way. Vernon Davis might not be the Gronk or J Graham but we'll see how we defend him this weekend......................................
    [/quote]
    You're right, he is better than Jimmy Graham.

can you imagine Vernon Davis with brees or brady. that would be something to watch

Davis is a beast but so is Ballard he may not be as fast as those guys but he's tough to get on the ground...

[quote user="RedskinHater"]Was reading an article on the NY Times ( subscription ) that the only to truly stop these guys is to press them at the line and disrupt the timing. They are not the quarter horse type of receiver and take a little longer to get up to speed.
    *It might seem obvious but John Lynch ( not a bad safety [6]and Bobby Beatherd both feel they are given way too much of a free release. You cannot let these guys get into the holes in a zone untouched in any way. Vernon Davis might not be the Gronk or J Graham but we'll see how we defend him this weekend......................................
    [/quote]The way you defend against TE like these is to bring pressure so they keep them back for extra protection.

[quote user="Eli TO Shockey"]can you imagine Vernon Davis with brees or brady. that would be something to watch
    [/quote]
    I've always thought he was the best tight end in the game.

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="Eli TO Shockey"]can you imagine Vernon Davis with brees or brady. that would be something to watch
    [/quote]
    I've always thought he was the best tight end in the game.[/quote]

I don't know. Gronk seems to be a Frankenstein character : size, speed and an unearthly athletic ability. ( Got to hand it to Belacheat drafting him and Hernandez and redoing the position...or at least what can be done there )

[quote user="RedskinHater"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="Eli TO Shockey"]can you imagine Vernon Davis with brees or brady. that would be something to watch
    [/quote]

I don't know. Gronk seems to be a Frankenstein character : size, speed and an unearthly athletic ability. ( Got to hand it to Belacheat drafting him and Hernandez and redoing the position...or at least what can be done there )
    [/quote]
    If we drafted a beast tight end to go with Ballard. My goodness.

Bench Player

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="Eli TO Shockey"]can you imagine Vernon Davis with brees or brady. that would be something to watch
    [/quote]

I would say the most athletic. He can be a little frustrating at times. Looks unstoppable like he did against the Saints, and then sometimes makes bonehead plays or has hand troubles.

A beast though, that's for sure.

Veteran

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="RedskinHater"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="Eli TO Shockey"]can you imagine Vernon Davis with brees or brady. that would be something to watch
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    If we drafted a beast tight end to go with Ballard. My goodness.[/quote]One name: Dwayne Allen