+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rust or bad execution?

Between Finley, Jones, and Nelson , there were alot of dropped balls ,.. Driver had his a better game. The only common denominator is Rodgers.. Im not sure if I call that game rusty ,. I think it was more along the lines of Rodgers being rushed ,agree or disagree?

Re: Rust or bad execution?

Rodgers seemed to handle the rush pretty well, at least early on. He got outside the pocket and made plays with his legs when the pocket collapsed on him. I think was the early drops that got to him, just like early drops got to him @ Kansas City. That's Rodgers' achillies heel. It's the quicksand Shane Falco refers to in "The Replacements". He needs to work on shortening his memory during the offseason.

I wouldn't call it rust though. Green Bay took the entire offseason off last year - didn't have one single player organized workout during the NFL lockout. Yet came out to start the season on fire, scoring TD's on each of their first 3 possessions of the season. They weren't rusty after 5 months to start the season, so I can't see a reason why they'd be rusty after 3 weeks to start the postseason.

Not to make excuses, but, being that it was the offensive side of the ball that truly let Green Bay down on Sunday, I have to wonder just how much Michael Philbin's death earlier in the week affected them. Joe Philbin is the offensive coordinator, and it was his group that wasn't focused. The whole group it seemed. So I have to wonder.

To ue some corny coachspeak, I don't think the Giants need concern themselves on whether or not Green Bay was rusty, or not. They have no control over how the other team plays, or why they are playing that way. All the Giants can do is to try and play their best, commit less errors, less turnovers, & to take full advantage of whatever opportunities are made available to them by their opponent, which they did. I see zero reason to apologize for the wins the Giants obtained, & earned.

[quote user="SIMMS5611"]To ue some corny coachspeak, I don't think the Giants need concern themselves on whether or not Green Bay was rusty, or not. They have no control over how the other team plays, or why they are playing that way. All the Giants can do is to try and play their best, commit less errors, less turnovers, & to take full advantage of whatever opportunities are made available to them by their opponent, which they did. I see zero reason to apologize for the wins the Giants obtained, & earned.[/quote]

My intent in posting this was to ask for opinion on what the major reason for the GB collapse was. Was it collectively a Team failure of execution or was it due to Rodgers offense not materializing as he envisioned the plays were supposed to?

Because if not for a couple of questionable calls there would have been alot more splainin for Lucy.

How about they just got their asses beat? I've never heard anyone talk about our drops when we lose. Hey sports media....Rodgers got his *** whooped. Move on.

Its the timing of the offense. Typically you draw up plays based how much time it takes for a receiver to enter his break, and try to release the ball at that precise moment. Green Bay in particular runs allot of these type of timing routes. Pressure makes the QB release the ball quicker which disrupts the entire play. Technically they could have still made some of those catches, but to our benefit, they didn't. Good defensive game plan, good execution, a little luck.

All-Pro

The Giants defense had a lot more to do with that than they are given credit for... they had great coverage most of the day, and put enough pressure on Rodgers to make him skittish. Some of those throws should have been caught, but GB came up against a defense that was playing physical football, something they didn't expect and didn't know how to handle. Seemed to me that the whole GB offense was hearing footsteps every time they got near the ball.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

[quote user="dan1552"]Between Finley, Jones, and Nelson , there were alot of dropped balls ,.. Driver had his a better game. The only common denominator is Rodgers.. Im not sure if I call that game rusty ,. I think it was more along the lines of Rodgers being rushed ,agree or disagree?
    [/quote]

I think a lot of the mis-throws/dropped passes had EVERYTHING to do with Rodgers being hurried. He released the ball before he wanted too and either under/overthrew someone. He was forced out of his comfort zone and had to scramble just to avoid being sacked. The front four definitely threw off thier offensive rhythm.

[quote user="dan1552"]Between Finley, Jones, and Nelson , there were alot of dropped balls ,.. Driver had his a better game. The only common denominator is Rodgers.. Im not sure if I call that game rusty ,. I think it was more along the lines of Rodgers being rushed ,agree or disagree?
    [/quote]The pressure seemed to get turned up more in the 2nd half. But the drops were killer for the Packers. I would say a couple of the passes were on Rodgers, but for the most part the receivers should have caught the majority of the passes.

I think the rush and the coverage by the Giants, did not allow Rodgers to get into a rhythm. The Giants did not allow any big plays downfield, which was key as well.

I guess sometimes its better for a team to play wildcard weekend to keep their momentum/rhythm going. But there are times when the bye week helps for teams recovering from injuries.
    One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them--Jack Lengyel Marshall University

The Packers hadn't played for real in two weeks, Rodgers three.

The Giants never let the QB or receivers feel comfortable. Sometimes it was with pressure but other times it was just in giving him looks he was unfamiliar with. Rushing just 4 is a huge deal. You can do alot with 7 guys back in coverage. You could see Rodgers being tentative with the ball back there because we never allowed him to find rhythm. It wasgreat defensive game plan.

No one remembers who came in second.