+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Parcells Compares This Team to 1990 Giants

Ahhh ..., now those were the days. Hard to imagine ever losing a game with these guys on the sideline.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...9ers-1.3459763

Bill Parcells likes Giants' chances vs. 49ers

Take it from another Giants coach who has gone into
    San Francisco for the NFC Championship Game and come away with a ticket to the Super Bowl:
    This Giants team has every reason to believe it can make the
    cross-country journey and earn a future trip to Indianapolis by beating
    the 49ers in a rematch of the conference title game from the 1990-91
    season.

"I think they have a real shot," two-time Super Bowl-winning coach Bill Parcells
    told Newsday yesterday in a telephone interview from his home in
    Jupiter, Fla. "They've got a good quarterback , they're an adept passing
    team, and they can knock the quarterback down. Now, they have a couple
    of holes, but so does everybody. They've been improving a great deal in
    recent weeks."

Parcells works these days as an ESPN analyst, but make no mistake: He's bleeding Giants' blue for this one.

"Who do you think I'm
    rooting for, the 49ers?" he said. "I couldn't root for the 49ers if
    they're playing the Giants, can I? Too much blood."

After watching the Giants dispatch the Falcons, 24-2, in the wild-card round and then the Packers,
    37-20, in Sunday's divisional playoffs, Parcells thinks the Giants have
    what it takes to duplicate his own NFC Championship Game win over the
    49ers.

Parcells achieved an unlikely 15-13 win over the 49ers at Candlestick Park as backup quarterback Jeff Hostetler outperformed two-time defending Super Bowl champion quarterback Joe Montana in one of the Giants' greatest playoff upsets ever.

"I knew we had a shot because we had a
    good team," Parcells said. "It wasn't glamorous, but we could do things
    well. We could run it, play defense and play in close games. Our
    players wouldn't crack mentally. That was a very underrated team."

Parcells sees many similarities to
    this season's Giants, especially when it comes to mental toughness. He
    thinks it showed in a big way in Sunday's win over the defending Super Bowl champion Packers.
    He likened the Giants' upset to a boxing match, and referenced a
    memorable scene from "Rocky," in which Apollo Creed's trainer, Duke,
    tells his fighter after an early knockdown to take Rocky more seriously.

"He doesn't know it's a damn show. He thinks it's a damn fight," Duke said. "Now finish this bum and let's go home."

"The Giants knew it was a fight in Green Bay, and I'm not sure the Packers
    knew that," Parcells said. "Sometimes, when you have a guy who can bail
    you out, human nature says you just rely on him. The Giants, they're
    not like that. Manning's terrific. They got a team there. Tom Coughlin has done a terrific job."

Parcells said the Giants' fighting
    spirit has carried them a long way in these playoffs. He thinks it can
    carry them at least another week for a chance at a fourth Super Bowl title.

"The Giants are tough mentally, but
    that's what it's supposed to be about," he said. "I think they've had
    that over the years. I think it's kind of inbred. Players wind up
    hearing about it. I think it helps them."

Mental toughness was a hallmark of Parcells' teams, particularly the 1990 squad that overcame the late-season loss of Phil Simms
    to an ankle injury, The Giants used a strong running game, some timely
    passes from Hostetler, and an excellent defense to overcome Montana's 49ers.

Parcells recalled one play in particular that convinced him the Giants would win.

"I remember Ottis [Anderson] stiff-arming Ronnie Lott on a short-yardage play and thinking to myself, 'They're really, really trying to win this game.' "

The Giants, who trailed 13-6 in the second half, knocked Montana out of the game in the fourth quarter, used a fake punt to set up a Matt Bahr field goal to make it 13-12 with 5:47 remaining and then won it on Bahr's 42-yard field goal with no time left.

The Giants immediately traveled to Tampa for Super Bowl XXV, which was scheduled for the following Sunday.

"The plane ride was unbelievable,"
    said Parcells, whose team beat the Bills in the Super Bowl a week later.
    "We had a couple of beers, and we had five hours to celebrate. I told
    the players, 'Tonight's your night. Team meeting tomorrow night at 6
    o'clock. Find out where it is, and be there.' "

Twenty-one years later, there might be
    another memorable plane ride home and another Super Bowl for the
    Giants. The old coach thinks it's about to happen.

Re: Parcells Compares This Team to 1990 Giants

He actually compared the Niners to the 1990 Giants then went on to say that the current Giants are better than the Niner.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Veteran

[quote user="jomo"]He actually compared the Niners to the 1990 Giants then went on to say that the current Giants are better than the Niner.[/quote]

He also said he was done coaching 4 different times. His word is as good as a 3 dollar bill. Once a phony always a phony.

Banned

[quote user="yatitle"][quote user="jomo"]He actually compared the Niners to the 1990 Giants then went on to say that the current Giants are better than the Niner.[/quote]

He also said he was done coaching 4 different times. His word is as good as a 3 dollar bill. Once a phony always a phony.
    [/quote]

I don't see it

This team is a thoroughbred.........the 1990 team was patched together but just good enough to win.

This is the 1st Giants "Dominant" team since the 1986 team........prior to that you have to go back to the 1950's

Veteran

[quote user="BParcells777"][quote user="yatitle"][quote user="jomo"]He actually compared the Niners to the 1990 Giants then went on to say that the current Giants are better than the Niner.[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't see it

This team is a thoroughbred.........the 1990 team was patched together but just good enough to win.

This is the 1st Giants "Dominant" team since the 1986 team........prior to that you have to go back to the 1950's
    [/quote]

9-7 dominant? I know today's NFL is watered down but cmon!

Banned

unlike a lot of people, I factor in injuries, schedules and home stretch results.....mid season they were winning but not yet dominant......that tough stretch toughened them mentally, and the team is finally healthy

the Packers were 15-1 and got the Bejzuuus kicked out of them........but for the refs they would have lost by 50 points

I know a dominant team when I see one

[quote user="BParcells777"][quote user="yatitle"][quote user="jomo"]He actually compared the Niners to the 1990 Giants then went on to say that the current Giants are better than the Niner.[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't see it

[/quote]

I agree with your Statement but also am old enough to remember that 90 team. they were awesome. however i also agree with your statement that the current team is a Thoroughbred. (spelling?lol) but with the Weather Forecast for Sunday all the AIRSHOW stuff we have be Living off of last 4weeks may go right out the Window. This type game does not favor us if we have to run it the whole day.

Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Banned

[quote user="miked1958"]

[/quote]

I don't see it

[/quote]

I agree with your Statement but also am old enough to remember that 90 team. they were awesome. however i also agree with your statement that the current team is a Thoroughbred. (spelling?lol) but with the Weather Forecast for Sunday all the AIRSHOW stuff we have be Living off of last 4weeks may go right out the Window. This type game does not favor us if we have to run it the whole day.

[/quote]

Hi Miked.......I became a Giants fan in my Dad's car in 1958 at the age of 10 listening to the "Greatest Game ever Played (Baloney btw, maybe the greatest played to that time)" while he was with my mom in the restaurant- The Old Robin Hood Inn in Clifton.

I've listened to players and coaches discuss muddy fields over the years.......actually it favors the passing game and the WRs as they know where they are going and cutting and the defenders are left to slip all over the place.....it does not favor runners as they cannot get traction. The length of your cleats is a big also......hopefully the Giants bring the right equipment.

In the end it will be decided by force of will in this game as both teams are extremely physical.

The 1990 team had a lot of guts and pluck but was hardly dominant....I define dominant as destroying opponents and running up the score game after game

[quote user="yatitle"][quote user="jomo"]He actually compared the Niners to the 1990 Giants then went on to say that the current Giants are better than the Niner.[/quote]

[/quote]
    This is true. While the guy was a brilliant coach, he never managed to be forthright with any organization he was with. Double-dealed all of them. Except the last one, Miami. I guess he just ran out of saps to play off of.

You guys make it seem like Sunday will be rainy and muddy, it's still Wednesday, anything can change.