+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I always rave about reeses drafts and look who Agrees! Top 4 in the NFL according to CBS research

Veteran

Re: I always rave about reeses drafts and look who Agrees! Top 4 in the NFL according to CBS research

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]Jerry Reese can flat out draft! End of story!

AFTER FURTHER REVIEW: Reese’s strong drafts reason Giants in playoffs

12:01 PM, January 3, 2012
    ?
    By JUSTIN TERRANOVA

Jerry Reese is the guy who before the season starter
    guaranteed the Giants would make the playoffs, the guy who was taking a
    lot of the criticism for a quiet offseason, and the guy whose job would
    have been called into question had the Giants not fulfilled his
    preseason prediction.

He’s also the guy whose drafting ability is the reason the Giants are
    the NFC East champs and playing host to the Falcons on Sunday.

In 2007 when the Giants won the Super Bowl it was seventh-round
    unknown rookie Ahmad Bradshaw who emerged at the end of the season and
    helped carry the Giants into the playoffs and beyond.

This year it’s two players from the 2010 draft who have become the
    most important on the Giants outside of quarterback Eli Manning. Reese’s
    first-round pick was Jason Pierre-Paul, who had played football one
    year at South Florida, and defensive end was one position the Giants had
    depth at with Justin Tuck, Osi Umenyiora and Mathias Kiwanuka all
    high-level players. But the Giants took Pierre-Paul with the 13th pick
    anyway, and he has become the team’s best defensive player in his second
    season.

But Reese’s best decision came after the draft when he signed Victor
    Cruz out of UMass. The New Jersey native immediately impressed with 297
    receiving yards in the Giants’ 2010 preseason opening victory over the
    Jets, but after playing sparingly in the regular season, Cruz hurt his
    hamstring and was put on injured reserve. Cruz has come back this year
    as a star. With Hakeem Nicks and Mario Manningham battling nagging
    injuries, Cruz has been the one receiving constant for a Giants team
    that also lost Steve Smith to the Eagles.

It was the departure of Smith and tight end Kevin Boss that had
    Giants fans struggling to understand the team’s post-lockout plan. Their
    big free agent signing was center David Baas, while the Jets were
    making splashes with the re-signing of Santonio Holmes and adding of
    Plaxico Burress, who spurned a Giants reunion.

Injuries to key players on the Giants defense (Prince Amukamara,
    Terrell Thomas, Jonathan Goff) was also a reason for trepidation. It was
    Reese’s strong 2011 draft that helped patch up that defense with rookie
    linebackers Jacquian Williams (sixth round), Greg Jones (sixth round)
    and Mark Herzlich (undrafted) all playing meaningful time. The defense
    was vulnerable at times, but played its best football the final two
    weeks of the season to beat the Jets and Cowboys and win the NFC East.

They have Reese to thank for that. The Giants GM puts his stamp on
    this team during April’s draft, not the free-agent period, and it’s the
    reason the Giants were able to survive crippling injuries and get back
    to the playoffs for the first time in three years.

[/quote]

Or is it!?
    *DUN DUN DUN!!!*

From the draft genius and all knowing Count Cho... I mean Mel Kiper:

Although the Giants have had a very good season based on where they
    are, it's fair to say the draft hasn't really played a role. Prince Amukamara
    is seeing significant time now but was out early after a broken foot.
    He has played a bit better in recent weeks, but it's hard to say at this
    point whether he projects as more than a solid regular. Marvin Austin was a good value based on talent, but the defensive tackle out of North Carolina got hurt early and hasn't factored in. Jerrel Jernigan
    hasn't really worked his way into the offense. Greg Jones was a nice
    value, but he has seen only spot duty thus far. One promising rookie
    year has come from Henry Hynoski
    -- but he was an undrafted free agent. There's talent here, but it's
    still early days, and this class hasn't really had a noticeable effect
    on the season.
    (Note: Kiper has regraded the Giants' 2011 draft from "B-" to "C")

That Jerry Reese is such a buffoon for knowingly drafting guys who will get hurt. And special teams doesn't matter. Its not a game has EVER been won or lost on special teams play.

...And Jaquan Williams doesn't exist. That's why Kiper never knew who he was.

Re: I always rave about reeses drafts and look who Agrees! Top 4 in the NFL according to CBS research

[quote user="Coloradokid"]I do not agree with the so called experts. Draft picks look great on paper but on field performance is what matters. With (1) exception name draft picks that play a consistent major role. The Giant draft picks spend more time hurt than healthy. Nicks, Beatty, Prince, Kiwi, Manningham, All the selected LB's have spent significant time on IR or missed games. I would like to know what the criteria used for evaluating the draft was.[/quote]

And injuries that occur over the course of the game are the fault of talent evaluators? Those guys didn't have injury concerns prior to being drafted. Is it Reese's fault that they get hit?

The article also forgot about Canty and Baas as starters not drafted by the Giants.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="myles2424"]2009 & 2010 draft were horrendous.....[/quote] what? I coulden't dissagree more! Prince JPP Nicks Beatty Barden(coming along now that healthy) Joseph and then u got Injuries to guys like Chad Jones which is kinda bad luck and injuries have derailed alot of hope for some seemingly great Draft picks for us If guys like Goff Chad Jones TT Austin could of stayed healthy I think our teams Completely diffrent right now! Reese is a awesome drafting Gm !
    [/quote]

Really?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="myles2424"]2009 & 2010 draft were horrendous.....[/quote] what? I coulden't dissagree more! Prince JPP Nicks Beatty Barden(coming along now that healthy) Joseph and then u got Injuries to guys like Chad Jones which is kinda bad luck and injuries have derailed alot of hope for some seemingly great Draft picks for us If guys like Goff Chad Jones TT Austin could of stayed healthy I think our teams Completely diffrent right now! Reese is a awesome drafting Gm !
    [/quote]

Really?
    [/quote] Thats quite all right hes contributed anyways and theres alot of other names on that list that make up for barden.

All-Pro

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="myles2424"]2009 & 2010 draft were horrendous.....[/quote] what? I coulden't dissagree more! Prince JPP Nicks Beatty Barden(coming along now that healthy) Joseph and then u got Injuries to guys like Chad Jones which is kinda bad luck and injuries have derailed alot of hope for some seemingly great Draft picks for us If guys like Goff Chad Jones TT Austin could of stayed healthy I think our teams Completely diffrent right now! Reese is a awesome drafting Gm !
    [/quote]

Really?
    [/quote] Thats quite all right hes contributed anyways and theres alot of other names on that list that make up for barden.
    [/quote]

wonder who gets the #3 job if manningham walks.

[quote user="lawl"]

[/quote]

I'd be willing to bet Hixon after his second knee injury [and if still signed], Jerrell Jernigan and Devin Thomas would be ahead of Barden on the depth chart in the event no other receiver is signed/drafted.

[quote user="bLuereverie"][quote user="lawl"]

[/quote]

I'd be willing to bet Hixon after his second knee injury [and if still signed], Jerrell Jernigan and Devin Thomas would be ahead of Barden on the depth chart in the event no other receiver is signed/drafted.[/quote]

2 injuries to the same knee within 2 years is gonna be a tough recovery for him. Same for Sintim.

Both these guys may be done in the NFL.

[quote user="lawl"]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="myles2424"]2009 & 2010 draft were horrendous.....[/quote] what? I coulden't dissagree more! Prince JPP Nicks Beatty Barden(coming along now that healthy) Joseph and then u got Injuries to guys like Chad Jones which is kinda bad luck and injuries have derailed alot of hope for some seemingly great Draft picks for us If guys like Goff Chad Jones TT Austin could of stayed healthy I think our teams Completely diffrent right now! Reese is a awesome drafting Gm !
    [/quote]

Really?
    [/quote]

[/quote] well u got Barden who adds size to the strengths of cruz and nicks and u got jerrnigan who in theory is a versatile speedster slot type guy.. I'd think those 2 would get cracks at the gig and we may just add a guy at some point in the draft in the mid to late rounds to compete with those 2 for the gig and 2 round out the depth.. I really don't see Hixon returning to the Giants next season and Devin Thomas has shown very little in my estimation.. A guy like Eric Page WR Toledo or Greg Childs WR Arkansas in the 5-7 range would be nice to compete against Barden and Jerrnigan.. maybe a guy like Bj Cunningham drops to rd 7 or so and we take a flier on a guy who slips through the cracks? Tough to say

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="bLuereverie"][quote user="lawl"]

[/quote]

I'd be willing to bet Hixon after his second knee injury [and if still signed], Jerrell Jernigan and Devin Thomas would be ahead of Barden on the depth chart in the event no other receiver is signed/drafted.[/quote]

2 injuries to the same knee within 2 years is gonna be a tough recovery for him. Same for Sintim.

Both these guys may be done in the NFL.
    [/quote]

I acknowledge just how hard it is. I'm just saying Barden looks that bad.

Bench Player

for the same money MM is going to get i'd go after NOR Robert Meachem to be our 3rd WR (SE). Better health, longer/ taller, better hands, good in red zone and can also run.

instead of Barden who was a wasted pick i would go for Cotchery or Hagan.

+ Reply to Thread