+ Reply to Thread

Another Mock Draft!

Rd 1: Dont'a Hightower (ILB/Alabama)

-As I've stated too many times, this is my #1 target in the draft.

Rd 2: Orson Charles (TE, Georgia) or best OL available. This pick is the hardest to guess because the first round is so tough to predict right now. This would be assuming Fleener and Allen are gone.

Rd 3: Bernard Pierce(RB/Temple) (if Boykin (CB/UGA) is available, TAKE HIM here and get Vick Ballard (RB/MSU) in a later round). Michael Egnew is another TE I like here if we haven't addressed it yet

Rd 4: Senio Kelemete (OT/Washington) if we are still needing OL ..Joe Adams (WR, Arkansas) if he's still available. I expect his draft stock to rise. Dequan Menzie (CB/ Alabama), Marcus Forston (DT/Miami

Rd 5: Danny Trevathan (OLB/Kentucky), Olivier Vernon (DE/Miami) or Jake Bequette
    (DE/Arkansas), Vick Ballard (RB/MSU if we
    missed on a RB) BJ Cunningham (WR/Michigan State) Tauren Poole
    (RB/Tennessee)

Rd 6: Greg Childs (WR/ Arkansas), Demario Davis (LB/Ark State), Bryce Brown
    (RB/his couch), Jerrell Harris (OLB/Alabama)

Re: Another Mock Draft!

IMO, Hightower is a 3-4 LB....
    2nd is high for Charles...
    3rd is high for pierce....
    & I can't see Danny trevathan lasting until the 5th....

Keep in mind where we may be picking though. When you're picking (hopefully) last, you have to reach and can't just view someone as second or 3rd rounders.

I would prefer Boykin in the 3rd. I wouldn't disagree that Pierce in the 3rd is a bit of a stretch... but when I do this I go by who I think will be available and most of the top backs I already have off the board when we pick. I'd be more than happy if they waited to get Ballard or even happier if some guys I rate higher dropped to us. Pierce is a guy with some good potential though... assuming he can stay healthy and become a better blocker. Doug Martin would be a 3rd rd rated guy to watch for as well.

Charles is projected by everyone I have read as a late 2nd rounder or early 3rd rounder. So us taking him as one of the last picks in the 2nd doesn't seem all too high for him. He does lack the ideal size for a TE so I wouldn't have imagined taking him in the 2nd, more like an early to late 3rd, but we may have to reach a bit in this draft. This is also based on the assumption that Allen and Fleener will be long gone and I consider this a down year for TEs as a whole.

I disagree that Hightower is strictly a 3-4 linebacker. Saban is known for a 3-4 but he runs plenty of formations with 4 on the line. Hightower is also extremely smart, very athletic and could move to DE if needed and still be very successful. If you watch, you'll see that at some point in the game just about every player will drop into coverage at some point (even DTs). Hightower may not be the best in coverage but he's far from bad IMO and I've seen him track down some pretty speedy players.

As for Trevathan... I'm not sure we really need a OLB that bad to go earlier than the 5th. I'm a big of Danny's but if he's already gone, I think a guy like Jerrell Harris could be great option even later in the draft.

[quote user="critters"]Rd 1: Dont'a Hightower (ILB/Alabama)
    -As I've stated too many times, this is my #1 target in the draft.

Rd 2: Orson Charles (TE, Georgia) maybe Sean Spence here if he's available, depending on what happens first round. This pick is the hardest to guess because the first round is so tough to predict right now. If we go OL here or 1st round I guess I can't complain.

Rd 3: Bernard Pierce(RB/Temple) (if Boykin (CB/UGA) is available, TAKE HIM here and get Vick Ballard (RB/MSU) in a later round) or if we still need to address ILB - Audie Cole (ILB, NC State)... although to be honest, I think Chris Marve from Vandy could be a steal in a later round)

Rd 4: Senio Kelemete (OT/Washington) or best available OL.

Rd 5: Danny Trevathan (OLB/Kentucky) if we still need LB, Jake Bequette (DE/Arkansas), Olivier Vernon (DE/Miami), Vick Ballard (RB/MSU if we missed on a RB) BJ Cunningham (WR/Michigan State) Tauren Poole (RB/Tennessee)

Rd 6: Greg Childs (WR, Arkansas), Chris Marve (ILB/Vandy), Bryce Brown (RB/his couch), Jerrell Harris (OLB/Alabama) if we still need CB, Dequan Menzie (CB/Alabama) would be a steal here! I would even take him in the 4th or 5th if his stock has risen by then.

- I did not list a safety or a DT because I didn't see any worth reaching for in our position. I mean, if Mark Barron wants to drop to us in the first, I'd take it. If we ended up with Marcus Forston in the 4th, I'd take it.
    [/quote]

Bryce Brown is super talented and was a highly regarded recruit coming out of High School. However, he is a head case!! Pulled a "hold out" on NSD, when he was committed to Miami... then decided to go to Tennessee.... then when Kiffin bailed, he decided to bail to KSU.... and never played.... he would be an interesting FA signing.

"Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Totally agree on Bryce. I was a big fan of his brother Arthur coming out of high school and still have my eye on him. Bryce has done every possible thing wrong that you can in regards to his future in sports. However, the guy does have a TON of potential, so if the maturity aspect kicked in, he could turn into a decent NFL player. FA would be ideal, but I wouldn't be upset if he has some sort of pro day, puts on a good show, and was taken with our last pick... assuming after interviews he isn't labeled as still being a complete headcase.