+ Reply to Thread

What will Manningham face? Same as Ocho?

We all know Manningham wasn't the brightest, and this limited his time on the field and productivity.
    Read this about Ochocinco.
    http://my.yahoo.com/?fr=yfp-t-403
    (copy and paste? Sorry, link linking not working for me)
    Ocho was lost in the Patriots offense, which limited his productivity.
    Anyone here know the intricacies of SF's offense, and does Alex Smith run as many options as the Pats?? ... or are they more like Ocho's Bengels?
    I think the answer as to SF's inticacies will determine Mario's failure or success. It will be interesting to see.

Re: What will Manningham face? Same as Ocho?

I think he will do fine there. He may be the one exception of guys leaving the Giants and being sucessful. Don't see Jacobs or Ross doing that well.
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Anyway we knew we couldn't keep all the FAs and with Nicks, JPP, Tuck, Cruz contacts running out soon our front Office had to make a business decision to let MM go and look at he big picture and focus on the guys they really want to keep in future
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

[quote user="miked1958"]Anyway we knew we couldn't keep all the FAs and with Nicks, JPP, Tuck, Cruz contacts running out soon our front Office had to make a business decision to let MM go and look at he big picture and focus on the guys they really want to keep in future[/quote]
    I agree with both your posts.
    Manningham still hadn't completely gotten our offense. He played much more and much better than before, but was just catching on to our offense and Eli's audibles. There were times he still ran the wrong route, and I remember at least one INT where Mario went out and Eli threw in, and one 'shoulda been an INT" that Eli threw to where Mario was supposed to be.
    But, I don't think Smith runs that intricate an offense... and, I think Mario's experience with us will help him if there is a learning curve in SF
    It'll also be interesting to see if Moss has anything left.

The thing with the 49ers is that they are predominately a power rushing, 2 TE offense, 22 personnel type team. Manningham will not be in a complicated system in SF's offense. That offense is somewhat simplified to Alex Smith's capabilities.

Manningham is a deep threat, the 49ers (who I don't see changing their core philosophy) appear to have signed him just for the respect he should warrant from defenses. Same with Randy Moss.

We have about the same amount of sight adjustment routes as NE, and probably just as complex a scheme as they do.

[quote user="zimonami"]We all know Manningham wasn't the brightest, and this limited his time on the field and productivity.
    Anyone here know the intricacies of SF's offense, and does Alex Smith run as many options as the Pats?? ... or are they more like Ocho's Bengels?
    I think the answer as to SF's inticacies will determine Mario's failure or success. It will be interesting to see.[/quote]

For starters, the comparison make little sense. Ocho is at the end of his career, Rio still has his future in front of him. As always, there has to be a kick in the guys rib about his level of intelligence.

Ocho was and still is a royal pain in the @ss. Manningham was never a problem for us. He was a great teammate who I hated to see leave. He didn't leave for the money. He left for a chance to receive more catches. He had the right to leave, and so he did. Did you see what SF offered him?

I just don't understand why almost every post about the guy is a put down. I wish him well, and who knows, maybe someday he will return. If not, then I'll remember him for the big plays he made for us. And yes, he made mistakes. So did Cruz and Nicks. Let it go. PLEASE!

[quote user="I Bleed Blue"][quote user="zimonami"]We all know Manningham wasn't the brightest, and this limited his time on the field and productivity.
    I think the answer as to SF's inticacies will determine Mario's failure or success. It will be interesting to see.[/quote]

For starters, the comparison make little sense. Ocho is at the end of his career, Rio still has his future in front of him. As always, there has to be a kick in the guys rib about his level of intelligence.

Ocho was and still is a royal pain in the @ss. Manningham was never a problem for us. He was a great teammate who I hated to see leave. He didn't leave for the money. He left for a chance to receive more catches. He had the right to leave, and so he did. Did you see what SF offered him?

I just don't understand why almost every post about the guy is a put down. I wish him well, and who knows, maybe someday he will return. If not, then I'll remember him for the big plays he made for us. And yes, he made mistakes. So did Cruz and Nicks. Let it go. PLEASE![/quote]
    The comparison makes perfect sense... you didn't understand it. Read the Ocho article.
    I'm not comparing Mario and Ocho's ages, speed, and physical capabilities at all.
    I'm asking if someone (gmen0820 answered the question perfectly) knows how intricate the SF offense is.
    The article \points out that Ocho didn't play much because he couldn't grasp the options.
    Mario has played very little because it has taken him all these years to grasp our complex offense, and Eli's audibles. Mario was frequently not running the correct routes.
    SO, if SF's offense is as complicated as ours, he may have the same problem understanding their offense as he had here... and as Ocho had in NE. Ocho's lack of playin g time had nothing to do with his physical capabilities

[quote user="zimonami"]We all know Manningham wasn't the brightest, and this limited his time on the field and productivity.
    SF doesn't have nearly as intricate as of an offense as we do, so he should do fairly well if Smith can actually get him the ball.

I remember when the Bengals were on Hard Knocks and someone explained the concept of interest (in the investment sense) to Chad Johnson, and he replied "That don't make no sense at all."</P>

Not surprising that he had a tough time with a complex system . . . . .</P>