+ Reply to Thread

Smith says Eli No.1 in scrutiny

Sure, Alex Smith has had seven offensive coordinators, but he’s never had seven million critics – give or take – analyzing his every move.

Today, the 49ers quarterback was asked about the similar paths he and Giants quarterback Eli Manning have taken to the NFC Championship Game on Sunday. The game will mark the second time quarterbacks who were No. 1 overall picks will meet in a conference championship game. Denver’s John Elway met the Jets’ Vinny Testaverde in the 1998 AFC Championship Game.

Smith said he didn’t many similarities beyond their draft slot, noting the pressurized environment Manning inherited after he was the No. 1 pick in the 2004 draft.

“To be Peyton’s little brother, the No. 1 pick and you go to New York to play for the Giants,” Smith said. “That’s a lot of pressure. I don’t think anyone has been in the situation he has … Those are pretty unique circumstances. Your older brother is arguably the greatest quarterback ever and a lot of expectations are on you and you go to a big city like New York. I didn’t have to face those things.”

* Smith said the Giants have dialed back their defense since their 27-20 loss in San Francisco on Nov. 13. New York has forced 16 turnovers in its past nine games, including four in last week’s 37-20 divisional playoff win against the Packers.

“I think schematically, doing a little less is what I see,” Smith said. “Playing faster, though. I think it’s even helped them. Seem to be creating more turnovers. Playing faster on defense. Not quite doing as much, but just playing really sound football.”

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/01...s-of-scrutiny/

Re: Smith says Eli No.1 in scrutiny

Good article....very true indeed

Alex Smith-easy guy to root for.

[quote user="Pop it Ahmad"]Alex Smith-easy guy to root for.
    [/quote]

Except for this week!!! lol
    I want to see Eli in a new system before I throw in the towel in him.

***OK I have seen it and I'm a bit worried***

[quote user="Tony Bruno"][quote user="Pop it Ahmad"]Alex Smith-easy guy to root for.
    [/quote]

Except for this week!!! lol[/quote]

you beat me to it
    FUTURE NFL STAR

through 4 games

13 rushes for 100 yards and a td
    13pancake blocks
    16 tackles 1 sack (3 td saving tackles including final tackle as time expired to clinch win, hit of the game 9/14 )
    4-0 record

I say Romo gets more scrutiny...

...but it's earned in that scenario.

Alex Smith good kid bad fan base

very classy of him. I'd say that being the #1 overall pick, for a franchise that had 2 of the greatest QBs of all time (and a pretty good one in Garcia as well), wasn't exactly a picnic.

[quote user="ryan12"][quote user="Tony Bruno"][quote user="Pop it Ahmad"]Alex Smith-easy guy to root for.
    [/quote]

Except for this week!!! lol[/quote]

you beat me to it[/quote]

Great minds think alike!!! ;-)
    I want to see Eli in a new system before I throw in the towel in him.

***OK I have seen it and I'm a bit worried***