+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vernon Davis

Vernon Davis

Even though he plays tight end instead of wide receiver, Davis is probably SF's biggest pass threat. Since he's a TE, we'll probably have Boley cover him and put Webster on Crabtree, their top WR. I saw some analyst (unfortunately I forget where so I can't link to it) suggest that the Giants should put Webster on Davis and Ross or Prince on Crabtree. This would then free up Boley to rush Smith, stop the run, or cover a lesser target. It's an interesting idea but I doubt the Giants will do it. What are your thoughts on this?

Re: Vernon Davis

I think we play our system...we kept Witten and Gonzalez in check, no reason to believe Davis will do any better than them...

i dont believe we have to put our LB on their TE simply bc of the positions they play. Davis is their best option, like you mentioned, so I'd put Ross on him. Ross fairs pretty well against bigger WRs. I wouldnt put Webster on him because I wouldnt like the Ross vs Crabtree match up. Crabtree may drop a few balls but he can prob right right past Ross most of the time.

davis's size would be an issue for webster imo. he'd still cove him but davis could box him out and post him up too easily imho.

id rather bracket coverage with zone rolled towards him. like u said, their wr's arent anything to get worried about so davis should be the focal point of the safeties

All-Pro

We kept Davis to 40 yards the first time, and the vast majority of those came on one play where the coverage was blown.

One thing that no has mentioned is that the Packers recievers couldn't get open against our DBs.

I'd say that Green Bay has a head and shoulders better passing attack than the 49ers..ipso facto; I don't see San Fran moving the ball much sunday unless Frank Gore goes crazy which I think is also doubtful.

Vernon Davis is a beast but I don't think he'll make a difference.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

[quote user="TrueBlue07"]i dont believe we have to put our LB on their TE simply bc of the positions they play. Davis is their best option, like you mentioned, so I'd put Ross on him.* Ross fairs pretty well against bigger WRs.* I wouldnt put Webster on him because I wouldnt like the Ross vs Crabtree match up.* Crabtree may drop a few balls but he can prob right right past Ross most of the time.
    [/quote]

How we cover him will depend on how he lines up. If he's inside, let a LB or safety cover him...if he's on the outside, put a CB on him. Let the system do it's job...

Veteran

[quote user="yoeddy"]I think we play our system...we kept Witten and Gonzalez in check, no reason to believe Davis will do any better than them...[/quote]

Finley too.

[quote user="yoeddy"][quote user="TrueBlue07"]i dont believe we have to put our LB on their TE simply bc of the positions they play. Davis is their best option, like you mentioned, so I'd put Ross on him. Ross fairs pretty well against bigger WRs. I wouldnt put Webster on him because I wouldnt like the Ross vs Crabtree match up. Crabtree may drop a few balls but he can prob right right past Ross most of the time.
    [/quote]

How we cover him will depend on how he lines up. If he's inside, let a LB or safety cover him...if he's on the outside, put a CB on him. Let the system do it's job...[/quote]

That's true. When Davis lines up at WR they won't have Boley go out there with him. If I recall correctly most of Davis's damage was done after we lost Boley. We probably can play to our system and not make any drastic changes.

It's natural for us to worry about Davis, but Fewell isn't going to be a moron like Williams and continue to blitz even though it's clearly leaving major holes in the D.

I heard on NFL radio Williams was saying before the game "we're gonna pressure the f*ck out of him" in a macho sort of way, like he didn't respect Smith. Luckily for us the Saints allowed the 49ers to put plenty of material on tape for us to see we need to respect them.

All-Pro

[quote user="TrueBlue07"][quote user="yoeddy"][quote user="TrueBlue07"]i dont believe we have to put our LB on their TE simply bc of the positions they play. Davis is their best option, like you mentioned, so I'd put Ross on him. Ross fairs pretty well against bigger WRs. I wouldnt put Webster on him because I wouldnt like the Ross vs Crabtree match up. Crabtree may drop a few balls but he can prob right right past Ross most of the time.
    [/quote]

How we cover him will depend on how he lines up. If he's inside, let a LB or safety cover him...if he's on the outside, put a CB on him. Let the system do it's job...[/quote]

That's true. When Davis lines up at WR they won't have Boley go out there with him. If I recall correctly most of Davis's damage was done after we lost Boley. We probably can play to our system and not make any drastic changes.

[/quote]

You are correct. Boley left in the 2nd qtr which left the Giants with Greg Jones and he effed up coverage on the play where Davis got his TD.