+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A word on Rain

A word on Rain

Which leads to the question of which team will be helped more? The seemingly obvious answer is the 49ers, who have a more simplified, run-oriented offense and a stout defensive front seven. But some Giants players believe their passing game could actually benefit.

“I feel like it’s always to the receivers’ advantage because we know where we’re going on a route,” wide receiver Hakeem Nicks said. “DBs are just guessing or playing their coverage.”

Nicks said the key for receivers is not leaning back while running (“having your nose over your toes”), wearing long spikes on their cleats and paying attention to the finer points of their routes.

Also complicating matters is that Eli Manning might have to throw a wet ball, hence the bucket of water the Giants have used in the past to simulate a rain-soaked ball. Troy Aikman, who once played in a bit of mud at Candlestick in the ’93 NFC Championship Game, said that used to be a problem for him.

“If I was one of these quarterbacks I would not be able to sleep all week long knowing rain was in the forecast,” said Aikman, who will call Sunday’s game for Fox.

“But since I’ve gotten into television I’ve asked these quarterbacks where the weather’s been poor if they can throw a wet ball and they look at me, stunned I’m even asking the question, and say, ‘Of course I can throw a wet ball. What’s the problem?’?”

Asked why today’s quarterbacks don’t have an issue, Aikman laughed and replied, “I just think they’re better athletes.”

So are the receivers, which is why Aikman agrees with Nicks.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...er_for_nf.html

Re: A word on Rain

ELI BIG DAY SUNDAY ON TO INDY TO SEE PEYTON!!! 28-17 GIANTS

Well, that was a few more words than "A" word on rain.

Two years ago, Eli played in a soaking deluge down in Washington and he had a great game. In fact, Eli has had some of his best games in cold and rain, and some of his worst games under the best weather conditions and in domes.

When Eli has a bad game. it's just Eli having a bad game. It has never had anything to do with the weather. And now, Eli has gotten to a point where he's having fewer bad games and more good and great games. That's just what happens when you're an elite quarterback.

That doesn't mean Eli can't have a bad game this week or any other week. It's just becoming less likely. Rodgers had a bad game last week. That's tough noogies. See ya'.

All-Pro

[quote user="Gianthunter"]

Which leads to the question of which team will be helped more? The seemingly obvious answer is the 49ers, who have a more simplified, run-oriented offense and a stout defensive front seven. But some Giants players believe their passing game could actually benefit.

“I feel like it’s always to the receivers’ advantage because we know where we’re going on a route,” wide receiver Hakeem Nicks said. “DBs are just guessing or playing their coverage.”

Nicks said the key for receivers is not leaning back while running (“having your nose over your toes”), wearing long spikes on their cleats and paying attention to the finer points of their routes.

Also complicating matters is that Eli Manning might have to throw a wet ball, hence the bucket of water the Giants have used in the past to simulate a rain-soaked ball. Troy Aikman, who once played in a bit of mud at Candlestick in the ’93 NFC Championship Game, said that used to be a problem for him.

“If I was one of these quarterbacks I would not be able to sleep all week long knowing rain was in the forecast,” said Aikman, who will call Sunday’s game for Fox.

“But since I’ve gotten into television I’ve asked these quarterbacks where the weather’s been poor if they can throw a wet ball and they look at me, stunned I’m even asking the question, and say, ‘Of course I can throw a wet ball. What’s the problem?’?”

Asked why today’s quarterbacks don’t have an issue, Aikman laughed and replied, “I just think they’re better athletes.”

So are the receivers, which is why Aikman agrees with Nicks.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...er_for_nf.html

[/quote]

I just have this feeling that we are in the middle of witnessing another magical end to a season. Enjoy the ride.
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

All-Pro

[quote user="krygny"]Well, that was a few more words than "A" word on rain.

Two years ago, Eli played in a soaking deluge down in Washington and he had a great game. In fact, Eli has had some of his best games in cold and rain, and some of his worst games under the best weather conditions and in domes.

When Eli has a bad game. it's just Eli having a bad game. It has never had anything to do with the weather. And now, Eli has gotten to a point where he's having fewer bad games and more good and great games. That's just what happens when you're an elite quarterback.

That doesn't mean Eli can't have a bad game this week or any other week. It's just becoming less likely. Rodgers had a bad game last week. That's tough noogies. See ya'.

[/quote]
    This team just won't be denied
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***