+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Bench Player

Saints fan here, Could you guys school me on Spags?

Hi Giants fans, good luck in the NFCCG, sure wish we were playing u guys but it is what it is. Pulling for the hometown kid Eli to go all the way!

Anyway, can any of you guys school me on Spagnuolo? We hired him as our new DC since Gregg Williams went with his old buddy Jeff Fisher.

I liked Gregg Williams, but he blitzed a little too much for my liking. He always said "live by the blitz, die by blitz" and thats what we did against San Fran (blitzing while in single coverage on V.Davis, when ur protecting a 3 pt lead with less then a minute left in the game?!?! Really?!)

But anyway, you guys had him as your DC for a few seasons so maybe you can give me some insight. Unfortunately, our D-Line isnt as talented as yours was (and still is) so it will be interesting to see what he can do.

Veteran

Re: Saints fan here, Could you guys school me on Spags?

[quote user="bnrwhodat"]Hi Giants fans, good luck in the NFCCG, sure wish we were playing u guys but it is what it is. Pulling for the hometown kid Eli to go all the way!

Anyway, can any of you guys school me on Spagnuolo? We hired him as our new DC since Gregg Williams went with his old buddy Jeff Fisher.

I liked Gregg Williams, but he blitzed a little too much for my liking. He always said "live by the blitz, die by blitz" and thats what we did against San Fran (blitzing while in single coverage on V.Davis, when ur protecting a 3 pt lead with less then a minute left in the game?!?! Really?!)

But anyway, you guys had him as your DC for a few seasons so maybe you can give me some insight. Unfortunately, our D-Line isnt as talented as yours was (and still is) so it will be interesting to see what he can do.
    [/quote]

One thing I noticed while he was our D coach were second half adjustments that were made that actually worked. If we were getting run over or a team was passing at will against us, our D seemed to come back in the second half and put the kabosh on their offense. He's also a players coach. A lot of us here wanted him back, me included.

[quote user="bnrwhodat"]Hi Giants fans, good luck in the NFCCG, sure wish we were playing u guys but it is what it is. Pulling for the hometown kid Eli to go all the way!

[/quote]
    He's awesome, we all love him, and probably must of (including me) wanted him back before the D started playing a lot better of the past 4 weeks since getting bodies back.

He disguises the blitz very well. I don't remember him overly blitzing because we had a lot of star pass rushers, but brought the blitz to change things up, confuse the offense, and also if it were necessary. The D loved playing for him.

Congrats -- you got a keeper. I was hoping that he would hold off until whenever our season ended incase our current DC (Fewell) became a HC somewhere else.

[/quote]Well he designed the defenses that stopped TB, Dallas, GB and the 18-0 Patriots in 07. He is a great defensive mind.. He did not do well as a head coach but will turn your D around
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

[quote user="sc_markt"][quote user="bnrwhodat"]Hi Giants fans, good luck in the NFCCG, sure wish we were playing u guys but it is what it is. Pulling for the hometown kid Eli to go all the way!

[/quote]

One thing I noticed while he was our D coach were second half adjustments that were made that actually worked. If we were getting run over or a team was passing at will against us, our D seemed to come back in the second half and put the kabosh on their offense. He's also a players coach. A lot of us here wanted him back, me included.[/quote]
    Great point -- his adjustments always seemed to be on target. That has been one strike against Fewell (our current DC). Hopefully Fewell has changed.

[quote user="miked1958"][quote user="bnrwhodat"]Hi Giants fans, good luck in the NFCCG, sure wish we were playing u guys but it is what it is. Pulling for the hometown kid Eli to go all the way!

[/quote]Well he designed the defenses that stopped TB, Dallas, GB and the 18-0 Patriots in 07. He is a great defensive mind.. He did not do well as a head coach but will turn your D around[/quote]
    Kind of scares me to think your Saints could have a defense as good as your offense. Scary thought. U could be unstoppable for seasons to come
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Players coach,will be better then Greg Williams!!! His blitzes always seem to get there! Good-Luck next year!!

He can do well with marginal talent IMO. People like to think we had an incredible amount of talent, but he took over a pretty bad defense.

The DL, that was always pretty good.

The LBers, he took Kawika Mitchell, Antonio Pierce and Reggie Torbor and won a SB with them.

Secondary was a wreck when he took over. We beat Philly in 2007 with Craig Dahl an UDFA and Michael Johnson 7th round rookie. Webster was a nobody. Ross was a rookie, Sam Madison was old, R.W McQuarters was a pretty bad starter.

He is a players coach, he runs a sound scheme, and as a DC he has had success (granted 2 years). There isn't much more you can do as a DC.

Bench Player

Thanks for the feedback guys!!!

[quote user="bnrwhodat"]Thanks for the feedback guys!!!
    [/quote]Keep in mind, if some of this feedback seems unbelievably good, it probably is. We had two great years with Spags, and when he left, his legend just grew and grew.

He isn't god, but he is a good football coach who will run a sound scheme.