+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needs?

Needs?

I've basically missed the entire year so I'm admittedly a little lost in what this team will be targeting come draft time....So fill me in in what we need and whose underperformed

LT/RT- is Beatty the answer or do we target one early/ is Kareem finnally showing signs of slowing down?

MLB- Goff's status is up in the air (Injury/contract), is Jones the answer or do we target Kuechly?

Secondary- We have the 29th ranked pass defense plus TT and Ross will be FA's....Corner appears to be a likely early target.

Anything else?

Veteran

Re: Needs?

We need a massive upgrade on the oline. Mainly LG and RT but C and LT could also be upgraded. Cornerback will probably be a need as you said, and LB is obviously a huge need.

Other minor needs are RB, TE, and Safety.

My hope for this offseason is to sign Carl Nicks in free agency to sure up the left guard spot and draft a stud linebacker or cb in the first round. But as always BPA.

[quote user="Spizi"]We need a massive upgrade on the oline. Mainly LG and RT but C and LT could also be upgraded. Cornerback will probably be a need as you said, and LB is obviously a huge need.

Other minor needs are RB, TE, and Safety.

My hope for this offseason is to sign Carl Nicks in free agency to sure up the left guard spot and draft a stud linebacker or cb in the first round. But as always BPA.[/quote]
    Petrus is the future at LG, book it...The question is how much faith do we have in Brewer as the successor at RT, if he isn't the answer then we may target someone like Riley Reiff (Who I love) in the first

As for LB, although it may very well be a need, we've been through this song and dance with Reese way too many times to be fooled again....The guy simply will not address LB early in the draft.

Personally I'm very high on Jaquain Williams and feel that with in time he will develope in to a good one. I also liked what I saw from greg Jones in pre season, although the fact that Blackburn starts over him isn't a very good sign

Veteran

What this team needs more than anything is to get freakin' healthy.

Now, a TE like Dwayne Allen would be the perfect complement to Ballard. I also really like Luke Kuechly. He would pretty much make this defense complete.

I fully expect Reese to pick up a G/T sometime in the first 3/4 rounds. LT isn't an issue. Beatty has played well, and I definitely like Petrus at LG (funny, I was calling for him to replace Diehl back before the bye...). A versatile backup who could push for a starting spot (maybe one of those Wisconsin linemen).

I'm not ready to write Baas off as C. The OL thrives off of continuity, and he's new, and NOBODY has been healthy. Likewise, a lot depends on how they think Brewer is coming along. They might just have to throw him to the wolves and see what happens.

I wouldn't mind seeing a RB reasonably early. I'm very high on Montee Ball at the moment. I definitely like the way he runs. Of course, I also have my fingers crossed that Trent Richardson will get busted with pot and be sitting there in the 1st...

All in all, the need is more Talent (can any team ever have enough?)

Veteran

[quote user="juice33s"]As for LB, although it may very well be a need, we've been through this song and dance* with Reese way too many times to be fooled again....The guy simply will not address LB early in the draft.

Personally I'm very high on Jaquain Williams and feel that with in time he will develope in to a good one. I also liked what I saw from greg Jones in pre season, although the fact that Blackburn starts over him isn't a very good sign
    [/quote]

The problem in the past was that there were no linebackers worth the pick that we had. This year we will most likely fall into the range were the stud lbs will be available. Keuchley, Te'o, Burfict, and Brown would all be valuable additions to complete our lb core.

[quote user="Spizi"]We need a massive upgrade on the oline. Mainly LG and RT but C and LT could also be upgraded. Cornerback will probably be a need as you said, and LB is obviously a huge need. Other minor needs are RB, TE, and Safety. My hope for this offseason is to sign Carl Nicks in free agency to sure up the left guard spot and draft a stud linebacker or cb in the first round. But as always BPA.[/quote]I agree completely but a massive upgrade at OL is understated. Ditto for LB.
    No one remembers who came in second.

All-Pro

Don't be shocked to see another DE drafted in the first two rounds.

Osi has to be traded this offseason.

Tuck and Kiwi will both be FAs after next year.

That's potentially 3 guys lost in the next two years, thats alot of turnover at a position that our FO likes to keep loaded.

As for need, Greg Jones has not played well at all and Goff is hurt. MLB is the biggest question mark, as we really have noone suitable on the team to play it.

Cornerback- TT and Ross possibly gone this offseason with Webster aging another year, we need another high quality player at the position. Even if TT is re-signed, I'd like to see us draft a corner with great measurables in the 3rd-4th rd area so that when it's time for Webster to go, we have a quality player.

TE/RB- our team is slowly becoming a passing juggernaut. A true athlete to play TE would be ideal. Pass catching RB fits into this as well.

[quote user="lawl"]

Don't be shocked to see another DE drafted in the first two rounds.

Osi has to be traded this offseason.

Tuck and Kiwi will both be FAs after next year.

That's potentially 3 guys lost in the next two years, thats alot of turnover at a position that our FO likes to keep loaded.

As for need, Greg Jones has not played well at all and Goff is hurt. MLB is the biggest question mark, as we really have noone suitable on the team to play it.

Cornerback- TT and Ross possibly gone this offseason with Webster aging another year, we need another high quality player at the position. Even if TT is re-signed, I'd like to see us draft a corner with great measurables in the 3rd-4th rd area so that when it's time for Webster to go, we have a quality player.

TE/RB- our team is slowly becoming a passing juggernaut. A true athlete to play TE would be ideal. Pass catching RB fits into this as well.

[/quote]This is all right on the mark.
    No one remembers who came in second.

[quote user="juice33s"]I've basically missed the entire year so I'm admittedly a little lost in what this team will be targeting come draft time....So fill me in in what we need and whose underperformed

LT/RT- is Beatty the answer or do we target one early/ is Kareem finnally showing signs of slowing down?

MLB- Goff's status is up in the air (Injury/contract), is Jones the answer or do we target Kuechly?

Secondary- We have the 29th ranked pass defense plus TT and Ross will be FA's....Corner appears to be a likely early target.

Anything else?
    [/quote]

OLine- Doesnt matter what position just the best guy U can find.They have some flexibility to move guys

TE- If theres a new coaching staff Ballard may not cut it as a Starter

RB-Jacobs is as good as gone and Bradshaws always hurt.An in between the tackles horse like Chris Polk could be the answer.

CB-Will depend on what happens with Thomas and Ross. If the giants bring both back they will boast a very deep secondary.

S-Id like to see a rangy FS brought in but I doubt the Giants do it.

QB-I think the Giants could take a QB in the middle rounds if theres a new coaching staff.

DT- A lot depends on FA.Canty could get cut.Bernard isnt a lock.Austin hasnt played in 2 years and the run defense is awful.

DE- I could see the Giants drafting an end with Kiwi and Osi being FA's in 2013.The spot is crowded if they move kiwi back like they should.

LB-Jacquain Williams and Michael Boleywill make a very strong nickel Duo in the future. The real "?" is at MLB. If Goff is brought back things are looking up.Still a guy that could play as a SOLB or MLB would be ideal.

Its hard to predict what the giants will be looking for because there could be some coaching changes.That will determine how this offense and defense shakes out