+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Here's an example of ALL IN..

And why we will win tomorrow:

GIANTS' DEFENSIVE BACKS GET IT TOGETHER WITH THE HELP OF WEEKLY GET-TOGETHERS

"Aaron Ross was in a hurry to leave the Giants’ practice facility the other day,
    though he took time to answer a question about the meetings the defensive backs
    have held on their own.

In fact, that’s why he was scrambling to get out of the Timex Performance
    Center in East Rutherford.

“We’re going right now to go do ’em,” the Giants cornerback said. “It’s been
    helping us a lot. We get a chance to go through the film and go over with the
    coaches the next morning. We might see something we don’t like and ask the
    coaches if we can change it.”

The defensive backs started these meetings earlier in the season, once per
    week at the players’ houses, about an hour in length. It was a way of conducting
    the meetings at their own pace and with them taking the lead.

It wasn’t a mutiny against the coaching staff by any means, but rather a
    chance to take control of the remote and talk about what they see on film — not
    only what they’re supposed to see.

Before the game against the Washington Redskins, in which Corey Webster and
    Kenny Phillips grabbed interceptions early on, the frequency of the
    get-togethers increased. Now, as the players prepare for Sunday NFC Championship
    Game against the San Francisco 49ers, they’re up to three sessions per week.

And the fact they even have the chance to get ready for this game is a
    testament to what the meetings have done for their on-field communication since
    a few communication breakdowns earlier in the season against the Niners, Dallas
    Cowboys and New Orleans Saints.

“It’s crisp. Everything is coming out fast, it’s coming out loud,” said
    linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka, who can hear the chatter behind him. “There are no
    questions about who is saying what or who has what. The communication has been
    tremendous.

“If you watch how they played (on Sunday against the Green Bay Packers),
    there was obviously a difference. You could see it, and you could hear it on the
    field, too.”

Instead of Dez Bryant running free, Laurent Robinson breaking up the seam or
    Jabar Gaffney catching an uncontested touchdown, the Giants have often seen Tony
    Romo, Mark Sanchez, Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers holding the ball longer while
    looking for an open receiver — and many times, not finding one.

In the 13 games before the meetings were increased, the Giants allowed 263.7
    passing yards per game and a 61.4 percent completion rate. In the five games
    since, they’re allowing 215.6 yards per game and a completion percentage of 59.9
    percent.

“The chemistry is just crazy right now,” Phillips said. “I don’t want to say
    it’s just the meetings, but guys are just dialing in to what we’re doing.”

He continued: “It’s knowing what the other guy’s going to do. You don’t have
    to talk on every play. If I see something, I just come off and go get it and
    somebody will cover me up. There’s been a lot of that going on.”

Phillips’ house is the closest to the stadium, so he’s often the host for the
    meetings. Sometimes, they’ll order pizza or wings, though the sessions often go
    uncatered.

Everyone gets a chance to work the remote and go through the calls based on
    the looks the offense is given — even the rookies.

“Everybody has their opinion,” rookie safety Tyler Sash said, adding with a
    wry smile: “Even though some people’s opinions are respected more than
    others.”

The opinions of veterans Deon Grant and Antrel Rolle mean a ton to defensive
    coordinator Perry Fewell, who admits he has gotten better at accepting
    feedback.

“Because I know the players a lot better, definitely,” said Fewell, in his
    second year with the Giants. “I think that as a coordinator, and as a leader,
    you’re most effective when you’re listening, not talking.”

Fewell simplified the game plan a bit before the victory over the Jets, in
    part because of the suggestions that came from the players’ off-site
    meetings.

“We jot it down and say, ‘We think it’ll be a lot easier for us to play it
    like this,’” Grant said, “and he has an open ear when it comes to that.”

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: Here's an example of ALL IN..

That is awesome in so many ways!

ALL IN

Nice to know the secondary is working together to get better, It has certainly shown with less miscommunications since the redskins game, let's hope they can improve, and play lights out against the 49'ers.

Let's GO GMEN

that is awesome

its up to 3 times a week now?

fantastic!!

in these times its all about the extra effort

and the fact the Fewell listens and takes into consideration what the players feel comfortable with speaks volumes about him as a coach

Nice to see the players knowing the problems and taking time to work on it themselves.

ALL IN! Let's go giants

Being willing to put in "overtime" to watch film in a comfortable setting and then bring their thoughts to the coaches who hopefully figure how to work what the players see into the game plan is HUGE.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Bench Player

As a fan for more than 3 decades, I have always taken for granted that players did this sort of stuff all the time. I have only recently realized that most players don't work that much after practices and games. After meeting some players and seeing them outside of games, they became much more like ordinary people and much less like superstars only there for my entertainment. I figured they all had private chefs and butlers. Tutors for their kids. Personal assistants for all the "running of the household" stuff that most people have to do. Who would've thought that players like Victor Cruz actually have to get up in the middle of the night to rock a crying baby back to sleep?

Now I can appreciate that these players are putting in this extra time, and that they want to do it to win games. Playoffs are a perfect time to be putting in extra effort. In two words - ALL IN. Maybe the best team slogan of all time.

Great read and great work ethic on the part of the players.

the results are showing

This is awesome, I'm really happy they're doing this and it's obviously paying dividends. Barring questionable calls last week they really have gone against two potent offenses without allowing them to score and no one running wide open. Great job to them, we should call our secondary "The Overacheivers" because our whole team has this season and I couldn't be happier about it.

I made the ALL IN graphic with Nicks for the NFC Champ game my Facebook picture, GO BLUE