+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran

Best Wide Receiver of All Time

Don Hutson

When you compare his statistics v. his peers, saying Jerry Rice was better is like saying Hank Aaron was better than Babe Ruth.

Re: Best Wide Receiver of All Time

It was actually Jerry Rice, who was ranked not only the greatest WR of all time but the greatest player of all time regardless of position. But Hutson was very good though.

Veteran

[quote user="look@dafilm"]It was actually Jerry Rice, who was ranked not only the greatest WR of all time but the greatest player of all time regardless of position. But Hutson was very good though.
    [/quote]

When I think "football", I think Walter Payton, LT,Butkus, Johnny Unitas.

Jerry Rice is a top 20 of all time....but #1 of all time? No.

Hutson was better. Look at his stats v. his competition.

Rice's records will be broken ALOT quicker than Hutson's were.

[quote user="JMFP2"]

[quote user="look@dafilm"]It was actually Jerry Rice, who was ranked not only the greatest WR of all time but the greatest player of all time regardless of position. But Hutson was very good though.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

First of all, lol at "top 20". NFL films ranked him #1 player ever.

You realize the closest person to Rice in all his stat leading categories are wayyyyy behind right? The closest in yards is like 5000-6000 away, the closest in catches is like 400 away, and the closes in TD is like 50 away. Good try though.

jerry rice was the greatest wide receiver of all time. i wouldn't consider him the best player though. not even close.

i'm not saying he even deserves to be mentioned with the best of all time at this point....but nicks has the potential to be one of the all time greats. as long as he stays healthy and catches the ball. he's got all the tools. it'll be exciting to see what kind of numbers him and eli will put up together in the future.

I'd say Jerry Rice then Cris Carter after him

Veteran

[quote user="look@dafilm"][quote user="JMFP2"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You realize the closest person to Rice in all his stat leading categories are wayyyyy behind right? The closest in yards is like 5000-6000 away, the closest in catches is like 400 away, and the closes in TD is like 50 away. Good try though.
    [/quote]

I saw the NFL Films special. And I agree with Peter King....Don Hutson was the best wide receiver of all time.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2009...ds-peter-king/

When you compare Hutson with his peers, it's no contest:

Most seasons leading league in pass receptions (8),

Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receptions (5),

Most seasons leading league in pass receiving yards gained (7),

Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receiving yards gained (4),

Most seasons leading league in pass receiving touchdowns (9),

Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receiving touchdowns (5),

Most seasons leading league in scoring (5),

Most consecutive seasons leading league in scoring (5)

Calling a wide receiver - any wide receiver - the best player of all time is a joke. Rice was a great player....Top 20. But wide receivers see the ball maybe 5 to 10 times per game...the position simply doesn't influence the game like a QB, RB, or DL/LB does.

Like I said, Rice's stats will fall alot quicker than Hutson's.

Hutsons numbers are certainly impressive, but if you're going to knock Jerry Rice's numbers for playing in a pass happy league, then you have to knock Hutson for playing in a non-integrated league. When Jackie Robinson was in college he played an all-star game against the champion Chicago bears, and players said "the only time they worried was when Jackie Robinson was in there" and "I thought Hutson was fast but Robinson could spot Hutson five yards and still pass him by." Rice is the best of all time, and to me it's not even close. His records might stand for a while too.

After looking at Jerry Rice's career stats, it is fairly easy to say that he was the best WR of all time. He never ran over people like T.O. used to or had the speed of a Randy Moss but Rice was the best. He had 14 years of over 1,000 receiving yards. And most of them were around 1,200-1,500.

Nearly 23,000 receiving yards and 7,000 receiving yards over the 2nd all-time receiver. It is crazy. Rice does have a couple big advantages though and that is having Montana and Young. He also had the great california weather conditions in his career.

Randy Moss? If Randy Moss ever fixed his "mental issues of taking plays off" and tried harder, he could have surpassed Rice's career. He retired when he was only 33 years old and he should have put up at least 1,300 every year for like 15 years.

[quote user="JMFP2"][quote user="look@dafilm"][quote user="JMFP2"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I saw the NFL Films special. And I agree with Peter King....Don Hutson was the best wide receiver of all time.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2009...ds-peter-king/

When you compare Hutson with his peers, it's no contest:

Most seasons leading league in pass receptions (8),

Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receptions (5),

Most seasons leading league in pass receiving yards gained (7),

Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receiving yards gained (4),

Most seasons leading league in pass receiving touchdowns (9),

Most consecutive seasons leading league in pass receiving touchdowns (5),

Most seasons leading league in scoring (5),

Most consecutive seasons leading league in scoring (5)

Calling a wide receiver - any wide receiver - the best player of all time is a joke. Rice was a great player....Top 20. But wide receivers see the ball maybe 5 to 10 times per game...the position simply doesn't influence the game like a QB, RB, or DL/LB does.

Like I said, Rice's stats will fall alot quicker than Hutson's.

[/quote]

He was amazing, no doubt, but not as amazing as the guy (Rice) who played the game at a high level until he was like 42-43 years old. And I don't know where you're getting this "Rice's records will be broken quickly" crap from. Even if Fitzgerald, who is on a record setting pace career wise with catches, continues on an even a pace remotely similar to the one he's on for like 10+ years, he still won't break Rice's record for TDs or yards, not even close. Megatron might get close in terms of TDs, but I doubt even he will sniff it.

And the reason he's first all time is because of his longevity and work ethic and attitude. All the little things that make you a great football player, he did 10x better than anyone else. He is the GOAT regardless of position.

Oh, and just to brag, on that same NFL films list, Montana was #2