+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

cant advance a fumble? thats stupid rule

The play that hit the returners leg makes it a fumble why would they make a rule that you cannot advance the ball when every other fumble you can seems inconsistent to me!!!

Re: cant advance a fumble? thats stupid rule

its not a fumble, its a muffed punt, thats why.

so is forward progress. an eye for an eye

Nevermind, wrong punt.

The returner never had the ball and the ball touched him that is why the defender can't run with it since he can down the ball at the spot on returns.

[quote user="BigBlueFanNJ"]The play that hit the returners leg makes it a fumble why would they make a rule that you cannot advance the ball when every other fumble you can seems inconsistent to me!!![/quote]

Assumably the rule is there to keep the kicking team from squibbing it at their opponents.

Bad rule imo.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

This. Clearly you know the rules.

All-Pro

[quote user="Mark444"]so is forward progress. an eye for an eye
    [/quote]

Why is that a stupid rule? The player is stopped and being pushed back. So them they should down him where they tackle him?

[quote user="MikeIsaGiant"][quote user="slipknottin"]its not a fumble, its a muffed punt, thats why.[/quote] hmmmm, but he was progressing no? Wouldn't that count as a fumble? If he was standing still and dropped it, wouldn't that be a muffed punt?[/quote]

I learned this one the hard way while coaching pee wee football and one of our guys picked up a muff and went all the way only to get the ball at the spot of the muff, another stupid rule.

Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

[quote user="Joe Morrison"]

[quote user="MikeIsaGiant"][quote user="slipknottin"]its not a fumble, its a muffed punt, thats why.[/quote] hmmmm, but he was progressing no? Wouldn't that count as a fumble? If he was standing still and dropped it, wouldn't that be a muffed punt?[/quote]

I learned this one the hard way while coaching pee wee football and one of our guys picked up a muff and went all the way only to get the ball at the spot of the muff, another stupid rule.

[/quote]

Was speaking about the wrong punt, I got confused haha