+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Giants played a good game yesterday afternoon.

Bench Player

The Giants played a good game yesterday afternoon.

My prediction was that so long as the 49ers kept doing what they were doing and did not make mistakes, they would win. Sadly, I was correct.

Without the huge, amateurish error by our second string punt returner, the 49ers probably would have won the game 17-10. The offense and the defense basically had the game won, putting up 17 points and only allowing 10, sadly, Kyle Williams blew it, giving up the first two special teams turnovers of the season.

You guys deserved to win that game because your defense really stepped up and played beyond the ability they were showing through the regular season and nobody on the Giants made any mistakes. We played sloppy on special teams, our coach made a rare mistake allowing Williams to stay in the game after twice showing poor judgement.

While the outcome was disappointing (being defeated by your own player's amateurish mistakes is a much more bitter pill to swallow than simply being outplayed) it was a great game and I am looking forward to a rematch next season. Good luck in the Super Bowl.

Re: The Giants played a good game yesterday afternoon.

thanks for the good luck but I have a problem with most of what you say.</P>

Too bad about the breaks. Didn't your team beat NO that way with 5 turnovers? Didn't you win most of your games because of great turnover ration? Did you ever call for a replay of the last play in 2002 playoff game? When Rich Seubert was mugged but no interference.</P>

I view the fumble as agreat play by J. Williams. Your guy didn't just fumble without being touched like Jerry Rice did one playoff game. Williams knocked the ball out of his hands. Give some credit where credit due.</P>

[quote user="SFranciscan"]My prediction was that so long as the 49ers kept doing what they were doing and did not make mistakes, they would win.* Sadly, I was correct.

Without the huge, amateurish error by our second string punt returner, the 49ers probably would have won the game 17-10.* The offense and the defense basically had the game won, putting up 17 points and only allowing 10, sadly, Kyle Williams blew it, giving up the first two special teams turnovers of the season.

You guys deserved to win that game because your defense really stepped up and played beyond the ability they were showing through the regular season and nobody on the Giants made any mistakes.* We played sloppy on special teams, our coach made a rare mistake allowing Williams to stay in the game after twice showing poor judgement.*

While the outcome was disappointing (being defeated by your own player's amateurish mistakes is a much more bitter pill to swallow than simply being outplayed) it was a great game and I am looking forward to a rematch next season.* Good luck in the Super Bowl.*

[/quote]

GOD Bless Williams ! Yes,Looking forward to a rematch next season. This time at Giant stadium, Nothing Sweeter than a repeater ! Same score...Right ?

Bench Player

[quote user="JMGGIANTS"]

thanks for the good luck but I have a problem with most of what you say.</p>

Too bad about the breaks. Didn't your team beat NO that way with 5 turnovers? Didn't you win most of your games because of great turnover ration? Did you ever call for a replay of the last play in 2002 playoff game? When Rich Seubert was mugged but no interference.</p>

I view the fumble as agreat play by J. Williams. Your guy didn't just fumble without being touched like Jerry Rice did one playoff game. Williams knocked the ball out of his hands. Give some credit where credit due.</p>[/quote]

You know, I do hope the NFL reviews the supposed non-fumble just because it seemed to be a bad call and if that is the case, I hope the NFL does something to prevent such a bad call from being made in the future (maybe make it reviewable). Even if the NFL does rule that that should have been called a fumble I am not going to get too upset because it was a tough play to call and not a blatant mistake by the refs. What I am upset about was our backup punt returner and the poor judgement he showed.

Williams mistakes were inexcusable. The first big turnover was not even in any way attributable to the Giants. That was 100% on Williams. It cost us 7 points and the game.

Watch the footage on the overtime fumble that turned the ball over to the Giants in field goal range. Williams is swinging the ball away from his body while running into coverage. There is no excuse for that, especially for a team that has given up zero turnovers on special teams all year. The ball did not pop out on its own, but Williams deserves most of the credit for that fumble. If it were baseball, it would have earned him an error.

Maybe the Jets can take him off our hands. He's getting death threats in the Bay Area and considering he won the NFC Championship for New York, I think he might have a better time there.

9ers had 60 min to win or lose that game dont come in here with your half hearted congrats then say if it wasn't for we would of won. See you next year and by the way get some recievers and a QB who can do better then 1 for 13 on third down.

Veteran

[quote user="SFranciscan"][quote user="JMGGIANTS"]

Too bad about the breaks.* Didn't your team beat NO that way with 5 turnovers?* Didn't you win most of your games because of great turnover ration? Did you ever call for a replay of the last play in 2002 playoff game?* When Rich Seubert was mugged but no interference.</p>

I view the fumble as a*great play by J. Williams.* Your guy didn't just fumble without being touched like Jerry Rice did one playoff game.* Williams knocked the ball out of his hands. Give some credit where credit due.</p>[/quote]

You know, I do hope the NFL reviews the supposed non-fumble just because it seemed to be a bad call and if that is the case, I hope the NFL does something to prevent such a bad call from being made in the future (maybe make it reviewable).* Even if the NFL does rule that that should have been called a fumble I am not going to get too upset because it was a tough play to call and not a blatant mistake by the refs.* What I am upset about was our backup punt returner and the poor judgement he showed.*

Williams mistakes were inexcusable.* The first big turnover was not even in any way attributable to the Giants.* That was 100% on Williams.* It cost us 7 points and the game.

Watch the footage on the overtime fumble that turned the ball over to the Giants in field goal range.* Williams is swinging the ball away from his body while running into coverage.* There is no excuse for that, especially for a team that has given up zero turnovers on special teams all year.* The ball did not pop out on its own, but Williams deserves most of the credit for that fumble.* If it were baseball, it would have earned him an error.*

Maybe the Jets can take him off our hands.* He's getting death threats in the Bay Area and considering he won the NFC Championship for New York, I think he might have a better time there.
    [/quote]

What is your specific issue with the forward progress call? The only thing I've heard is that the whistle was "too quick" but I don't think the rulebook has a stipulation for a certain amount of time to pass. Do you disagree that his forward progress was stopped? (He was wrapped up and going backwards)

[quote user="SFranciscan"]My prediction was that so long as the 49ers kept doing what they were doing and did not make mistakes, they would win. Sadly, I was correct.

Without the huge, amateurish error by our second string punt returner, the 49ers probably would have won the game 17-10. The offense and the defense basically had the game won, putting up 17 points and only allowing 10, sadly, Kyle Williams blew it, giving up the first two special teams turnovers of the season.

You guys deserved to win that game because your defense really stepped up and played beyond the ability they were showing through the regular season and nobody on the Giants made any mistakes. We played sloppy on special teams, our coach made a rare mistake allowing Williams to stay in the game after twice showing poor judgement.

While the outcome was disappointing (being defeated by your own player's amateurish mistakes is a much more bitter pill to swallow than simply being outplayed) it was a great game and I am looking forward to a rematch next season. Good luck in the Super Bowl.

[/quote] Jaquain made a great play getting his hand in there as he seemed to be beat by Williams and jaquain reached back and took a stab at the football and made the play!(very athletic and great awareness by our Rook LB).. Also lets not forget the 10catches by Victor Cruz which was a huge reason we won this game as u guys simply coulden't stop him! Then how about the 3rd and 15 TD pass? If your vaunted Defense stops that one play and holds us to a FG u win the game! Sure Kyle Williams hurt ya but the Giants made enough plays and u guys didn't make enough plays .. Again your D don't give up that TD on 3rd and 15 and Ky Williams 2nd Fum dosen't even happen!

Bench Player

[quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="SFranciscan"][quote user="JMGGIANTS"]

Too bad about the breaks. Didn't your team beat NO that way with 5 turnovers? Didn't you win most of your games because of great turnover ration? Did you ever call for a replay of the last play in 2002 playoff game? When Rich Seubert was mugged but no interference.</p>

I view the fumble as agreat play by J. Williams. Your guy didn't just fumble without being touched like Jerry Rice did one playoff game. Williams knocked the ball out of his hands. Give some credit where credit due.</p>[/quote]

You know, I do hope the NFL reviews the supposed non-fumble just because it seemed to be a bad call and if that is the case, I hope the NFL does something to prevent such a bad call from being made in the future (maybe make it reviewable). Even if the NFL does rule that that should have been called a fumble I am not going to get too upset because it was a tough play to call and not a blatant mistake by the refs. What I am upset about was our backup punt returner and the poor judgement he showed.

Williams mistakes were inexcusable. The first big turnover was not even in any way attributable to the Giants. That was 100% on Williams. It cost us 7 points and the game.

Watch the footage on the overtime fumble that turned the ball over to the Giants in field goal range. Williams is swinging the ball away from his body while running into coverage. There is no excuse for that, especially for a team that has given up zero turnovers on special teams all year. The ball did not pop out on its own, but Williams deserves most of the credit for that fumble. If it were baseball, it would have earned him an error.

Maybe the Jets can take him off our hands. He's getting death threats in the Bay Area and considering he won the NFC Championship for New York, I think he might have a better time there.
    [/quote]

What is your specific issue with the forward progress call? The only thing I've heard is that the whistle was "too quick" but I don't think the rulebook has a stipulation for a certain amount of time to pass. Do you disagree that his forward progress was stopped? (He was wrapped up and going backwards)[/quote]

I am hardly an expert, but I have read many who seem to think it was a questionable call, especially considering how they were calling the rest of the game. I think the issue more or less is not so much the question as to whether or not it should have been called a fumble as the issue that based on the footage, Harbaugh thought it should have been called a fumble and he should have had the opportunity to challenge it.

Bench Player

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="SFranciscan"]My prediction was that so long as the 49ers kept doing what they were doing and did not make mistakes, they would win. Sadly, I was correct.

[/quote] Jaquain made a great play getting his hand in there as he seemed to be beat by Williams and jaquain reached back and took a stab at the football and made the play!(very athletic and great awareness by our Rook LB).. Also lets not forget the 10catches by Victor Cruz which was a huge reason we won this game as u guys simply coulden't stop him! Then how about the 3rd and 15 TD pass? If your vaunted Defense stops that one play and holds us to a FG u win the game! Sure Kyle Williams hurt ya but the Giants made enough plays and u guys didn't make enough plays .. Again your D don't give up that TD on 3rd and 15 and Ky Williams 2nd Fum dosen't even happen!
    [/quote]

The difference is that the Giants earned the touchdown. The Giants simply outplayed the 49ers defense on that drive and put it in the end zone. What stings it was a conscious decision by Williams to get in the way of a ball that he should have known that he was not reasonably able to field. That was not bad luck or a lack of talent. That was just an obviously stupid decision, like running a red light and considering that the Giants did not make any stupid mistakes like that and we did, they earned the win.

Veteran

[quote user="SFranciscan"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="SFranciscan"][quote user="JMGGIANTS"]

Too bad about the breaks.* Didn't your team beat NO that way with 5 turnovers?* Didn't you win most of your games because of great turnover ration? Did you ever call for a replay of the last play in 2002 playoff game?* When Rich Seubert was mugged but no interference.</p>

I view the fumble as a*great play by J. Williams.* Your guy didn't just fumble without being touched like Jerry Rice did one playoff game.* Williams knocked the ball out of his hands. Give some credit where credit due.</p>[/quote]

You know, I do hope the NFL reviews the supposed non-fumble just because it seemed to be a bad call and if that is the case, I hope the NFL does something to prevent such a bad call from being made in the future (maybe make it reviewable).* Even if the NFL does rule that that should have been called a fumble I am not going to get too upset because it was a tough play to call and not a blatant mistake by the refs.* What I am upset about was our backup punt returner and the poor judgement he showed.*

Williams mistakes were inexcusable.* The first big turnover was not even in any way attributable to the Giants.* That was 100% on Williams.* It cost us 7 points and the game.

Watch the footage on the overtime fumble that turned the ball over to the Giants in field goal range.* Williams is swinging the ball away from his body while running into coverage.* There is no excuse for that, especially for a team that has given up zero turnovers on special teams all year.* The ball did not pop out on its own, but Williams deserves most of the credit for that fumble.* If it were baseball, it would have earned him an error.*

Maybe the Jets can take him off our hands.* He's getting death threats in the Bay Area and considering he won the NFC Championship for New York, I think he might have a better time there.
    [/quote]

What is your specific issue with the forward progress call? The only thing I've heard is that the whistle was "too quick" but I don't think the rulebook has a stipulation for a certain amount of time to pass. Do you disagree that his forward progress was stopped? (He was wrapped up and going backwards)[/quote]

I am hardly an expert, but I have read many who seem to think it was a questionable call, especially considering how they were calling the rest of the game.* I think the issue more or less is not so much the question as to whether or not it should have been called a fumble as the issue that based on the footage, Harbaugh thought it should have been called a fumble and he should have had the opportunity to challenge it.

[/quote]

You can't challenge forward progress by rule. If you want to change the rulebook, fine- but the rulebook says when the referee determines at his own discretion that the runner has little or no opportunity to make forward progress, the play is blown dead and it is not challengable. I don't see how the call on the field is a bad one based on that.

+ Reply to Thread