+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran

Did anyone else find Ross' punt returns funny?

Every time Ross took a punt in the 2nd half he did the same thing- make a sure catch, take a few tentative steps forward with both arms wrapped around the ball, and collapse into a heap on the ground as soon as a 49er got within 5 yards of him.

I thought this was funny for a few reasons:

1. He was probably scared to death of being the goat and TC's wrath if he fumbled

2. Even though he probably had a chance to break some big returns if he tried, every single giants fan in the world wanted him to do exactly what he was doing

Re: Did anyone else find Ross' punt returns funny?

I liked Ross back there. Showed the staff was laying it all on the table, and I just feel safer with hem than I do with blackmon

Bench Player

Listen man, every single kick/punt return I hold my breath and want to look away. I wish we had a dangerous and reliable return man. Would be sooooo nice...something to look at for next year. (+ new special teams coach?)

it wasn't funny, I'm sure he was coached that way, which was entirely appropriate for the situation.

[quote user="Desepx"]Listen man, every single kick/punt return I hold my breath and want to look away. I wish we had a dangerous and reliable return man. Would be sooooo nice...something to look at for next year. (+ new special teams coach?)
    [/quote]

I really am pleased that the giants have been able to do alright without having Hixon. He was a reliable returner.

Bench Player

yea, hixon was a stud for us, missing him for sure.

I would be fine with a fair catch on every punt. We don't have differnce makers back there anyway. So might as well just make sure that we don't turn it over. I bet Ross was told that due to weather and field contions to not take any chances at all. And I am fine with that.

[quote user="jhamburg"]Every time Ross took a punt in the 2nd half he did the same thing- make a sure catch, take a few tentative steps forward with both arms wrapped around the ball, and collapse into a heap on the ground as soon as a 49er got within 5 yards of him. I thought this was funny for a few reasons: 1. He was probably scared to death of being the goat and TC's wrath if he fumbled 2. Even though he probably had a chance to break some big returns if he tried, every single giants fan in the world wanted him to do exactly what he was doing[/quote]He was doing exactly what he was told to do. Secure field position.

[quote user="jhamburg"]Every time Ross took a punt in the 2nd half he did the same thing- make a sure catch, take a few tentative steps forward with both arms wrapped around the ball, and collapse into a heap on the ground as soon as a 49er got within 5 yards of him.

I thought this was funny for a few reasons:

1. He was probably scared to death of being the goat and TC's wrath if he fumbled

2. Even though he probably had a chance to break some big returns if he tried, every single giants fan in the world wanted him to do exactly what he was doing[/quote]I have no issues with what ross and even cruz did.

They tried to make a move or two, but once it got tight and the way the weather has been, anything could happen, so drop down and get ready for the next play.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

After the impact that we saw returns have on the game yesterday, I am completely fine with Ross' strategy.
    Definitely got a chuckle after about the third time I saw him just be happy to secure the ball.