Now there are a lot of us fans who do not care for the current BCS set-up in college football. </P>

</P>

A possible solution that a friend of mine and I were discussing about 2 years back would be as follows:</P>

There are currently 11 Conferences in Div 1(FBS). I think that all 11 conferences winners plus 5 "wildcards", if you will, face off in a single elimination 16 team playoff.</P>

</P>

</P>

Now this was discussed before all of the realignment started in the Pac 12, Big 12, Big 10, SEC and ACC. But I know our idea would need some fine tuning. For instance, would conferences have or not have conference championship games? I mean the rule now is that your conference needs 12 teams at least to have a conference championship game. I think that has to be part of a potential overhaul of the current BCS. Sometimes these conference championships benefit or hurt a team---see Houston in the conf USA game today, or possibly Alabama this year, not having to be in a championship game, but could get a shot at the title. And that argument has been made in the past as well. The year LSU beat Oklahoma, a few years back, Oklahoma lost to Kansas St in the Big 12 Championship game I believe, but still made the title game.</P>

</P>

I know there is a lot of money in these championship games and Bowl games. Then you have the presidents of these schools who worry about kids missing classes in December. To me that is nonsense---schools start getting ready for the Christmas break, and what about march Madness? These same students don't miss any time? Yeah right---come on!</P>

</P>

I think the schools can still profit from the bowls/championships in a new playoff format.</P>

</P>

Maybe use the smaller bowls as the 1st rd games and quarterfinals, then the Sugar, Rose, Orange and Fiesta bowls for your semis and finals. Maybe rotate every year which of the 4 Big Bowls host the Championship games.</P>

</P>

Another thing that needs fine tuning is the ranking system and computers---I say scrap the computers and use the coaches and AP Polls. Throw in strength of schedule---none of these schools are to play any Div 1AA(FCS). If you want to not have a completely brutal schedule, then all teams can schedule 1 "cupcake" or "tune-up" game. I hate hearing the critics always saying that schools like the Boise States, Houston's, TCU's etc play asoft schedule, or they wouldnt survive in the bigger conferences. You play the schedule you are dealt, and its not the students/players faults that they cant make the schedules or that they dont play in the SEC, ACC, Big 10 etc.</P>

</P>

Hopefully there will be a change in the next few years so that the fans, coaches and media will enjoy the college footballpost season like we do with the NCAA mens basketball postseason.</P>