+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NFLGame Rewind

NFLGame Rewind

Some of us commented on, and noticed this during the game and I had to go back and double-check. But here's yet another under-the-radar example of just how senseless it is for 9ers fans to be on here complaining about AB's would-be fumble. Which was ruled correctly.

Here's a recap of the Niners final drive of the 1st Half:

(2:51- Niners start at their own 16 Yard Line. The score is 7-7 and NYG have 2 timeouts).

2:51- 1st and 10- Gore brought down for a loss and a crystal-clear whistle could be heard at 2:47.

2:47- 2nd and 11- You're thinking they have to take the snap and Aikman even says, "This is a big 2nd down for SF because if they don't convert, you have to believe the Giants will use a timeout".

Buck......"And we're at the 2 Minute Warning." (What???!!!)

Aikman trails off, as everything he just says is nullified by this. He is then speechless.

So, at 2:47, the whistle blew, and Alex Smith took it to the 2-Minute Warning without incurring a Delay of Game penalty. I'm no mathematician but 40 seconds aint 47 seconds.

It gets weirder- if you look at the play clock up by Fox's Scoreboard Graphic, it's locked on 10 seconds all the way from 2:16, right on down to the 2-Minute Warning. (Okay...so how does that work?)

(Now at) 2:00- 2nd and 11 (again)- Gore run for 2 yards and the Giants burn one of their two remaining timeouts.

1:55- 3rd and 9- Alex Smith scrambles for 5 yards, NYG use their final timeout at 1:49 and the ball is punted back to them.

Now, why does this all matter?

Well, glad you asked. Had SF correctly had to snap it before the 2-Minute Warning, regardless of the outcome, the clock would've stopped at the "Warning" and the Giants would have had to spend one less timeout they had to spend. Then, on the other side of the 2-Minute Warning, the 6 seconds that came off the clock after the failed 3rd Down Conversion would have left 1:54 and a Timeout in-hand, and NYG ball with 1:36 left at their own 41.

Instead, we drove it down the field to the SF 11, twice had to "Clock It," and to boot, Eli had to take a Delay of Game penalty when he didn't have any timeouts left and lost track

We settled for "3".

Now, I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories but my argument against it is dwindling by the week. I can rattle off about 10 times this year where I simply cannot explain how stupid things seem to routinely go against us and for no good reason. This would be one of them.

Do we know that this would have mattered? Of course not.

But all anyone's asking for is to "Gimme a freakin' break already with all the nonsense." Never seen anything like this, in any sport, routinely happen to one team. Nobody's asking for a handout. Just call it right. Damn.

Rant over. Someone PLEASE enlighten me.

Re: NFLGame Rewind

[quote user="SackingMyths"]Some of us commented on, and noticed this during the game and I had to go back and double-check. But here's yet another under-the-radar example of just how senseless it is for 9ers fans to be on here complaining about AB's would-be fumble. Which was ruled correctly.

(2:51- Niners start at their own 16 Yard Line. The score is 7-7 and NYG have 2 timeouts).

2:51- 1st and 10- Gore brought down for a loss and a crystal-clear whistle could be heard at 2:47.

2:47- 2nd and 11- You're thinking they have to take the snap and Aikman even says, "This is a big 2nd down for SF because if they don't convert, you have to believe the Giants will use a timeout".

Aikman trails off, as everything he just says is nullified by this. He is then speechless.

So, at 2:47, the whistle blew, and Alex Smith took it to the 2-Minute Warning without incurring a Delay of Game penalty. I'm no mathematician but 40 seconds aint 47 seconds.

It gets weirder- if you look at the play clock up by Fox's Scoreboard Graphic, it's locked on 10 seconds all the way from 2:16, right on down to the 2-Minute Warning. (Okay...so how does that work?)

(Now at) 2:00- 2nd and 11 (again)- Gore run for 2 yards and the Giants burn one of their two remaining timeouts.

1:55- 3rd and 9- Alex Smith scrambles for 5 yards, NYG use their final timeout at 1:49 and the ball is punted back to them.

Well, glad you asked. Had SF correctly had to snap it before the 2-Minute Warning, regardless of the outcome, the clock would've stopped at the "Warning" and the Giants would have had to spend one less timeout they had to spend. Then, on the other side of the 2-Minute Warning, the 6 seconds that came off the clock after the failed 3rd Down Conversion would have left 1:54 and a Timeout in-hand, and NYG ball with 1:36 left at their own 41.

Instead, we drove it down the field to the SF 11, twice had to "Clock It," and to boot, Eli had to take a Delay of Game penalty when he didn't have any timeouts left and lost track

We settled for "3".

Now, I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories but my argument against it is dwindling by the week. I can rattle off about 10 times this year where I simply cannot explain how stupid things seem to routinely go against us and for no good reason. This would be one of them.

But all anyone's asking for is to "Gimme a freakin' break already with all the nonsense." Never seen anything like this, in any sport, routinely happen to one team. Nobody's asking for a handout. Just call it right. Damn.

[/quote]

if you are correct in what you say why hasnt anyone esle brought it up...???

Get the game tape of that sequence and put it up....I would like to see it...

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

Re: NFLGame Rewind

[quote user="GameTime"]

[quote user="SackingMyths"]Some of us commented on, and noticed this during the game and I had to go back and double-check. But here's yet another under-the-radar example of just how senseless it is for 9ers fans to be on here complaining about AB's would-be fumble. Which was ruled correctly.

We settled for "3".

[/quote]

if you are correct in what you say why hasnt anyone esle brought it up...???

Get the game tape of that sequence and put it up....I would like to see it...

[/quote]

Bro, I'd LOVE TO. But it's a paid subscription and I don't think I can do that (legally).

But they'll be re-airing it all throughout the week and I can assure you I was watching as I was typing to verify accuracy. Please do refer back to this thread when you're getting to the end of the first half. You can't miss it and I know a few of us didn't miss it as it was happening.