+ Reply to Thread

How Good is the Patriots's O-Line?

Are they good enough to negate the Giants pass rush? How are they compared to the Packers or Niners O-Lines?

Bench Player

Re: How Good is the Patriots's O-Line?

[quote user="RonJon"]Are they good enough to negate the Giants pass rush? How are they compared to the Packers or Niners O-Lines?[/quote]

Wondering about this too. Stats are okay, but anyone actually watch them play much all season?

Gotta believe they are pretty good, considering Tom's success, and Tom is not anywhere close to being a mobile QB.

They are not bad at all. I think Matt Light is overrated tho, and Osi has manhandled him before. Nate Solder is looking lie a good tackle and made some key blocks against the Ravens. Brian Waters is a very solid veteran who pretty physical. The Patriots do have a solid offensive line...but our Defensive Line is soooo talented it stll will be a major challenge for them.

Im just worried about their pass rush vs our OLine, and our safeties and Linebackers covering their tight ends and Wes Welker. If Rolle covers Welker....who is going to cover Gronkonski and Hernandez?

they can protect him pretty well, but they don't have much of a ground game.

Bench Player

[quote user="RonJon"]Are they good enough to negate the Giants pass rush? How are they compared to the Packers or Niners O-Lines?[/quote]

Probably one of the best in the league and certainly one of the deepest in the league too. The Patriots interior O-line is arguably the second best in the league next to the Saints - it will be absolutely vital for the underrated Giants DTs to get an interior push up the middle.

As a Colts fan, I can't begin to state the importance of a good interior pass rush - Freeney and Mathis have never had a complimentary interior pass rush from the DT spot except for 05-06 when we won a Superbowl and had a healthy Corey Simon. If an OL has a strong middle (like the Pats) a QB can simply step up in the pocket and still step into his throws

Conversely, for years I've seen Manning had the middle pushed back into his face and forcing him to move laterally off his spot affecting accuracy - Tom Brady and Drew Brees are no different ..if you can move them off their spot, you will have a good chance of forcing mistakes but the problem is those 2 QBs have arguably the best interior OLs in the league.

Brian Waters is playing at an All-Pro level this year as is Mankins. Solder is the latest in stalwart Patriot OLinemen (injured starter at RT Sebastian Volmer is himself a BEAST). Matt Light might actually be the weak-link but even he is solid. If you watched the OL against the Raven's vaunted front 7 they absolutely bulldozed them and gave Brady a clean pocket.

Now you factor into account the fact that Gronkowski is a devastating inline blocker and the fact most teams usually play the Pats in a base nickel package, it gives them the option to really cram it down your throat. Their OL is great at run blocking - they abused the Ravens front 7 last week but luckily they have no home run hitters.

It will be very tough to put Brady on his butt because he loves quick, short throws where his receivers can get YAC - pair that up with a dominant OL and it can be a frustrating day seeing his jersey completely unblemished by game's end.

All-Pro

you know one thing we heard going into Super Bowl 42 was how great their line was and admittedly they got the best of our D in the regular season finale, but we dominated them in the Super Bowl

that NE team was more of a standard passing offense ... sure they would dink it to Welker, but they were always looking to hit the big one to Moss

this Pats team is way more dink and dunk and seam routes, meaning Brady will be getting the ball out of his hands quicker, but as always if we can get them in 3rd and long, well it will be lookout Mr. Brady

People Generally don't get near Brady and that's been true over his entire career, hence his inflated stats.

When teams gets near him you get games from him like the ones he's played against us and his crapfest from sunday.

So they block it pretty well and don't think your going to get a holding call on them either...the refs know that Prince Brady is not to be touched.

All that said..our weak defense harrassed him last time we played so I don't see why our strong defense wont more or less chase him out of the building.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.