+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ARTICLE : Giants QB Eli Manning gets serious

[link]http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/35605/eli-manning-gets-serious[/link]

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. Eli Manning isn't the only one sick of the "Is Eli Elite?" story line. But in response to a question Tuesday about a half-year-old story that started out silly and hasn't grown any less so, the New York Giants' quarterback left no doubt that he's not interested in spending the next two weeks dissecting the context or the consequences of a claim he made in a radio interview last summer.

[+] Enlarge
    Greg M. Cooper/US PRESSWIRE
    Eli Manning and the Giants last beat the Patriots on Nov. 6, 2011. Their next game is Feb. 5.
    Asked at the time by ESPN New York radio host Michael Kay whether he considered himself an elite quarterback in the class of the Patriots' Tom Brady, a confident Manning answered in the affirmative. A nearly inexplicable firestorm of debate ensued, and the story has followed Manning throughout his best NFL season. As he steered the Giants into their second Super Bowl appearance in five years, Manning left little doubt that he belongs on the list of the best quarterbacks in the league. But he never had any such doubt in the first place, and as a result, he told his questioner Tuesday, he never regretted what he'd told Kay.

"I thought I gave an honest answer," Manning said Tuesday. "I didn't regret it at the time or think anything of it at the time. Obviously, it was made into a big deal, but I can't control that. I'm worried about getting ready to play this game, play my best football and get our team ready to play our best football. My job is to play the game. It's your job to talk and make up stories."

Sheesh. A little bit harsh there at the end, if you ask me. But then again, the message of the day from Manning was that it's time to get serious. Prior to meeting the media, Manning addressed his teammates and gave a speech about how it should be conducting itself during this first of two weeks of Super Bowl practice and preparation. He told them to make sure and get all of their administrative stuff taken care of tickets, hotel accommodations for family and things like that so they could focus on practicing as if they were playing this Sunday instead of next Sunday.

"I was just telling them a little bit about how to prepare for this," Manning said. "Just a few things on just the mindset of this week. Prepare this week like you're playing this week, because once we get to Indianapolis, you've got to take a bus ride to practice and the whole schedule gets thrown off."

Manning is one of 15 current Giants who played in the Super Bowl against the Patriots four years ago, and there are others in the locker room who have played in other Super Bowls. But Manning is taking on the role of locker room leader and making sure the team's mindset is where it needs to be with one more football game yet to play and win and a slew of distractions along the way there.

"Excellent message from Eli," Giants safety Antrel Rolle said. "Even for a player like myself who's been to a Super Bowl, it's still great to hear someone speak with that kind of leadership. Eli doesn't say much, but when he says it, he means it and you know it comes from the heart."

Oh yeah. This is Eli Manning's team now. And whether it's with his play or his measured, direct message in the locker room, he's left no doubt in the mind of anyone in the building.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

All-Pro

Re: ARTICLE : Giants QB Eli Manning gets serious

ELI FTW!!!!

This season was way too emotional, we need this super bowl, it'd make for one of the best stories ever

Veteran

Good stuff, I expect nothing less from Eli

[quote user="MikeIsaGiant"]This season was way too emotional, we need this super bowl, it'd make for one of the best stories ever[/quote]Just when we thought 07 couldn't get better.

IMHO 11 was a much tougher road 2 the SB, but the Pats were better in 07. Yet I still do not under estimate them.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Love it!

Last time around this was transitioning from Tiki's team to Eli's team.

But Strahan was still, by and large, THE GUY.

No more. Thanks EA!

Never underestimate New England Patriots. They will be prepared and they will bring it. Contrary to what they may say I am sure that Bill Belecheck and Tom Brady have been wanting this game for the last 4 years. This game will be a war. NY Giants are going to have to bring their A game and I am confident that we will.

NY Giants are bringing it against New England Patriots.

All In.

I bELIeve.

Bench Player

Great article. Eli has matured into an all-time great time quarterback. I don't think his comment was harsh at all in reference to the writer. Eli was being sincere and honest.

"My job is to play the game. It's your job to talk and make up stories."

translation= go play in traffic.

[quote user="SanDiablo"]Great article. Eli has matured into an all-time great time quarterback. I don't think his comment was harsh at all in reference to the writer. Eli was being sincere and honest.[/quote]The occasional Jab is fine. He does it in a passive-aggressive way. And he is correct. As what when Hanlon did the same vs Rex and the Jets.

If you want to talk, back it up, if not STFU.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul