+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tom Coughlin can coach...PERIOD !

The guy can coach...i mean cmon he's a superbowl winner. Now he may have his flaws, he's human after all and it will be his flaws (hiring soft Co-ordinators) that could (not will) but could cost him his job at some point. Im a Tom Coughlin fan but certainly no Coach Coughlin homer.

However, for to say he cant coach or he's outdated is just dumb. Although he has not consistently had us atop the NFC, we have been competative most season under his tenure and ultimatly he is one of only two head coaches to bring us Giants fans a Lombardii.

The injuries we have had to cope with this season Tom has done a great joib jiggling the roster around to suit our gameplans. The serious lack of cap space under which the Giants have had to work, sheds a bad light on Reese if anyone.

The Giants wont sack Coughlin even if this season passes us by. He deserves one more year..and he will get it.

Re: Tom Coughlin can coach...PERIOD !

No disrespect/malice/sarcasm is intended, but.....did we really need another thread like this one when there are literally dozens of them already in existence?[]

[quote user="Die-Hard"]No disrespect/malice/sarcasm is intended, but.....did we really need another thread like this one when there are literally dozens of them already in existence?[]
    [/quote] VeryTrue diehard, very true.

Your optimism is a welcome relief from all of the doomsayers on this board . . . . .

[quote user="britishblue2"]However, for to say he cant coach or he's outdated is just dumb. [/quote]

Yet there have been head scratchers where clearly the game plan is not working and he cannot adjust. You know, those games where the Giants get completely and utterly destroyed.

Then there's the fact that he just can't stop these late season swoons -- he has no answers for it. Nor can he stop nor explain gut-wrenching disasters like the Saints or Eagles games -- or his Hall of Shame blowout disasters in big games and playoff duds. Do we ever get answers for the 2010 Eagles loss or the sleepwalk the following week at Green Bay? Losing the last ever game at Giants Stadium 41-9? You get the point, I hope I don't have to list the dozen or so flops in big spots. And there are times he is CLEARLY outcoached -- such as just about every Eagles game.

[quote user="britishblue2"]Although he has not consistently had us atop the NFC, we have been competative most season under his tenure[/quote]

at least up until week 8

[quote user="britishblue2"]He
    deserves one more year..and he will get it.[/quote]

He's already had "one more year" for the past 3 years. Honestly should have been sacked after the 2008 campaign -- finishing 1-3 and losing at home to the Eagles 23-11.

If this team misses the playoffs for the 3rd year in the row, I think the Maras will finally stop the merry-go-round.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]

Yet there have been head scratchers where clearly the game plan is not working and he cannot adjust. You know, those games where the Giants get completely and utterly destroyed.

Then there's the fact that he just can't stop these late season swoons -- he has no answers for it. Nor can he stop nor explain gut-wrenching disasters like the Saints or Eagles games -- or his Hall of Shame blowout disasters in big games and playoff duds. Do we ever get answers for the 2010 Eagles loss or the sleepwalk the following week at Green Bay? Losing the last ever game at Giants Stadium 41-9? You get the point, I hope I don't have to list the dozen or so flops in big spots. And there are times he is CLEARLY outcoached -- such as just about every Eagles game.[/quote]

He clearly outcoached Reid in the first eagle game this year, so your final point is wrong. And you make a point about Coughlin's losses, yet forget to mention that Bill Parcells had games such as the 88 Jet game to get into the playoffs, Flipper Anderson, etc. He gets a pass for his losses but Coughlin doesn't?

at least up until week 8
    We've been in playoff contention the final week of every season since Coughlin's been here except for his first year. We have had one losing season under his tenure, also his first year. You want to bring back Ray Handley, or post-93 Dan Reeves, or most years of Jim Fassel? Get over yourself.

He's already had "one more year" for the past 3 years. Honestly should have been sacked after the 2008 campaign -- finishing 1-3 and losing at home to the Eagles 23-11.
    Why, because Plaxico Burress is an idiot and can't take care of himself like an adult? Without him shooting himself we repeat that year. We beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh and Arizona in Arizona.

If this team misses the playoffs for the 3rd year in the row, I think the Maras will finally stop the merry-go-round.
    Yeah, you're probably right. But regardless of that, the fact remains that other than Parcells, Coughlin is the best coach the Giants have had in the super bowl era.

[quote user="GOBIGBLUE52"][quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]

Yet there have been head scratchers where clearly the game plan is not working and he cannot adjust.* You know, those games where the Giants get completely and utterly destroyed.

Then there's the fact that he just can't stop these late season swoons -- he has no answers for it.* Nor can he stop nor explain gut-wrenching disasters like the Saints or Eagles games -- or his Hall of Shame blowout disasters in big games and playoff duds.* Do we ever get answers for the 2010 Eagles loss or the sleepwalk the following week at Green Bay?* Losing the last ever game at Giants Stadium 41-9?* You get the point, I hope I don't have to list the dozen or so flops in big spots.* And there are times he is CLEARLY outcoached -- such as just about every Eagles game.[/quote]

He clearly outcoached Reid in the first eagle game this year, so your final point is wrong. And you make a point about Coughlin's losses, yet forget to mention that Bill Parcells had games such as the 88 Jet game to get into the playoffs, Flipper Anderson, etc. He gets a pass for his losses but Coughlin doesn't?

at least up until week 8
    We've been in playoff contention the final week of every season since Coughlin's been here except for his first year. We have had one losing season under his tenure, also his first year. You want to bring back Ray Handley, or post-93 Dan Reeves, or most years of Jim Fassel? Get over yourself.

He's already had "one more year" for the past 3 years.* Honestly should have been sacked after the 2008 campaign -- finishing 1-3 and losing at home to the Eagles 23-11.
    Why, because Plaxico Burress is an idiot and can't take care of himself like an adult? Without him shooting himself we repeat that year. We beat Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh and Arizona in Arizona.

Yeah, you're probably right. But regardless of that, the fact remains that other than Parcells, Coughlin is the best coach the Giants have had in the super bowl era.
    [/quote]

Your wasting your breath responding to a guy who thinks that TC should have been fired after the 2008 season. The guy is a raving lunatic.

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]Your optimism is a welcome relief from all of the doomsayers on this board . . . . .[/quote] Thanks mate...just trying to keep the spirits up. I hate all this negative s###. People banging on about quitting and quitters and its these people that have done exactly that with there support of the team. Its laughable in some cases it really is.

[quote user="GOBIGBLUE52"]
    He clearly outcoached Reid in the first eagle game this year, so your final point is wrong.[/quote]

OK, so he's 1-for-8 then since they had a 6 game winning streak going into that and he CERTAINLY got out coached by a decimated Eagles team with no Vick and no Maclin in the last game. He still got outcoached 7 times out of 8.

And you make a point about Coughlin's losses, yet forget to mention that Bill Parcells had games such as the 88 Jet game to get into the playoffs, Flipper Anderson, etc. He gets a pass for his losses but Coughlin doesn't?[/quote]

Bill Parcells lost ONE time in the opening round the playoffs, and only lost ONCE at home -- both were the 1989 Flipper Anderson game. Yet he gave us so many great memories at Giants Stadium in the playoffs.

Tom Coughlin has NEVER WON A HOME PLAYOFF GAME and HAS LOST IN THE OPENING ROUND THREE TIMES. He's given us some of the most sickening performances in team history at home -- such as the 2005 playoff loss to the Panthers 23-0; the 2008 playoff loss to the Eagles 23-11; in 2009 losing the last ever game at Giants Stadium 41-9; in 2010 fumbling away the NFC East crown with 7:30 left against the Eagles; and failing to bury the Eagles this year losing 17-10.

We've been in playoff contention the final week of every season since Coughlin's been here except for his first year. We have had one losing season under his tenure, also his first year. You want to bring back Ray Handley, or post-93 Dan Reeves, or most years of Jim Fassel? Get over yourself.[/quote]

I want the team to stop choking. Get over yourself.

[/quote]

So one player being an idiot was able to stop the coaching brilliance of Tom Coughlin and 52 other men? I thought he was a great coach? The team went 1-3 and lost a playoff game at home. All that is on Plaxico? You don't think the coach's inability to focus his team had anything to do with that?

[/quote]

People seem to get really mad at me for criticizing Tom Coughlin. I like the guy. He will always have a place in Giants history. He's pretty darned good too. I'm not saying he's garbage. The problem is he is flawed and cannot overcome this flaw after many repeats of the same failure, therefore someone else deserves a chance.

It's the same way I feel about Joe Torre. His place as a Yankee legend is more than secure and he's probably the best Yankee manager I'll see in my lifetime. But by 2003 it was clear something was fatally wrong with him and the magic was never going to return. It took several more years of repeating the same failure (destroyed in 2003 WS, biggest collapse in franchise history vs Red Sox in 2004 ALCS, and then three consecutive first round exits) before they figured out they needed to move on. Exactly where the Giants are now.

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="GMENCOLLAPSEAGAIN"]Your wasting your breath responding to a guy who thinks that TC should have been fired after the 2008 season. The guy is a raving lunatic.[/quote]

LOL, the guy who uses statistics and past performance in a clear and logical manner is a lunatic -- but the guy curled up in the corner hoping the same thing that's happened in 7 of the 8 Coughlin years won't happen again, and wants to keep trying to make it 8 of 9 next year, is reasonable. LOL. You're funny. Note also it is "you're" which is a contraction for "you are", not "your" which indicates possession.

I have yet to hear you present anything remotely resembling a logical argument why I'm wrong -- and I'm glad you don't try because you simply cannot. The facts are completely against you. You've got nothing other than irrational hope. So keep stomping your feet there Tommy.