+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Most PostSeason Wins by a Starting QB on the Road or Neutral Field.

[quote user="miked1958"]

All this yet.. seems like everyday on tv, radio and internet they all feel the need to debate weather Eli is Elite... </p>

What does this guy have to do to get some Props. He will have 2SBs in 4 yrs over what is considered a Dynasty type CLUB</p>[/quote]

To be fair, I don't think Eli is Elite. I just don't. He makes nice plays and is a pretty damn good QB, but not to the magnitude of the guys that I would call elite (Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers).

Why you may ask? Despite this being his "best year" he still had an awful TD/TO ratio, accuracy wasn't that great, and there were at least 3 other quarterbacks in the NFC alone that had better years.

And when you look objectively at his performances in the last portion of the season and playoffs, how great were they really? They were enough to get the job done and he's more than a 'bus driver'. But c'mon. Jets game? If not for fancy footwork by Cruz, and a 99 yard td Eli's numbers look like this...

8 of 26 (30%) 126 yards (4.2 ypa) 1 int

That was coming off the redskins game where he was also putrid. Then he had a few good games in between, and then the redskins game happened. Felt like he played incredibly in the first half but in the second, he was not the difference maker he usually is, and fortunately had two interceptions slip through the hands of 9ers defenders.

I'd put him at the top of the next tier though as the number 5 overall QB because he finds ways to win so to speak, and has been to the superbowl twice. He's just too inconsistent for me to say he belongs with the names above him.

Edit: From a media standpoint, I think he would have been crowned elite a long time ago if it weren't for his awful first few years. It's hard to get over first impressions if drastic change doesn't happen (IE: Brees switching NFL teams).

[quote user="jjj45"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]Pretty impressive stat I agree. But that means he's 1-2 at home?

Therefore, does that indicate that in order for Eli to succeed, they Giants have to be the underdog and play from the wildcard spot?

Kudos for the Giants being able to win on the road, but why the struggles at home?
    [/quote]I might ask you the same question. []
    [/quote]

Because Jerry Jones is our general manager.

[quote user="miked1958"]didnt see that one... link[/quote]

[link]http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/2457239.aspx[/link]
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

Veteran

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="miked1958"]

All this yet.. seems like everyday on tv, radio and internet they all feel the need to debate weather Eli is Elite... </p>

What does this guy have to do to get some Props. He will have 2SBs in 4 yrs over what is considered a Dynasty type CLUB</p>[/quote]

To be fair, I don't think Eli is Elite. I just don't. He makes nice plays and is a pretty damn good QB, but not to the magnitude of the guys that I would call elite (Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers).

Why you may ask? Despite this being his "best year" he still had an awful TD/TO ratio, accuracy wasn't that great, and there were at least 3 other quarterbacks in the NFC alone that had better years.

And when you look objectively at his performances in the last portion of the season and playoffs, how great were they really? They were enough to get the job done and he's more than a 'bus driver'. But c'mon. Jets game? If not for fancy footwork by Cruz, and a 99 yard td Eli's numbers look like this...

8 of 26 (30%) 126 yards (4.2 ypa) 1 int

That was coming off the redskins game where he was also putrid. Then he had a few good games in between, and then the redskins game happened. Felt like he played incredibly in the first half but in the second, he was not the difference maker he usually is, and fortunately had two interceptions slip through the hands of 9ers defenders.

I'd put him at the top of the next tier though as the number 5 overall QB because he finds ways to win so to speak, and has been to the superbowl twice. He's just too inconsistent for me to say he belongs with the names above him.

Edit: From a media standpoint, I think he would have been crowned elite a long time ago if it weren't for his awful first few years. It's hard to get over first impressions if drastic change doesn't happen (IE: Brees switching NFL teams).
    [/quote]

So then Aikman defnietly is not elite right?

[quote user="CGYgiant"]

So then Aikman defnietly is not elite right?
    [/quote]

Aikman played in a different era. If he played today and put up the same stats that he did then, I'd say absolutely not.

Was he elite in his era? Well that's also hard to judge. The media would have you think so, but compared to other guys like Marino, Young, Moon, Elway, and in later years Favre, he was little more than a bus driver. However he was very consistently ranked amongst those guys in YPA, completion percentage, int%, QB rating, etc etc, while making a few appearances on the leaderboards in completed passes, yards, and TDs. Combine that with 3 superbowl rings and it's still on the edge. It depends on how you look at it.

[quote user="miked1958"]didnt see that one... link[/quote][link]http://boards.giants.com/forums/2458774/ShowThread.aspx#2458774[/link]
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]Pretty impressive stat I agree. But that means he's 1-2 at home?

Therefore, does that indicate that in order for Eli to succeed, they Giants have to be the underdog and play from the wildcard spot?

Kudos for the Giants being able to win on the road, but why the struggles at home?
    [/quote]All his early games were @ home. So he still was green and inexperienced. Also do not forget that Giants stadium was/is one of the worst stadiums to play in based on the wind, and those playoff games are now coming at the worst times of the year based on weather/winds.

How many QBs win any type of playoff games early in their career (home or away), without being helped by the team to get them throughout it? And again, not many have such hostile conditions @ times.

Just look at the last playoff game. If he have had played bad, then you might of had a point.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

All-Pro

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]Pretty impressive stat I agree. But that means he's 1-2 at home?

[/quote]Yes he had his struggles early on in his career. Then the year Plax shot himself we started out 11-1 but with the Dline breaking down and no backups we were booted out in 1st round in a bad game. </P>

in 05 lost 23-0 to carolina at home</P>

in 08 (yr after SB) lost in at home to Philly 23-11. </P>

However I wouldnt call beating a team with roddy white, Julio and Turner @ home 24-2 struggling. </P>

He also set another record this season. Prior to this year the record for most TD passes in the 4th quarter was shared by peyton manning and Johnny Unitas with 14 each. This year Eli threw for 15 of them. </P>

He has done it again in the 4th quarther of playoffs. He is clutch when it counts.</P>
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Starter

[/quote]

Well I guess that would be a chances thing as well because he hasn't had nearly as many chances at home then on the road.

About Eli not being Elite I figure 4000 yards and 30 TD's in the last 2 seasons before this year help prove that consistency has developed in his game since the Superbowl run. And now this year when most QB's took it up a notch Eli didn't just stay back he kicked it up and was just a few yards short of being a handful of QB's to break 5K. As for the TD/INT ratio well obviously he had a rough go for the 1st 3 years or so but last year and this year hasn't had the best protection, lots of WR tipped balls last year. Being truthful I as well didn't think I would ever view Eli as an Elite QB because of many of the reasons you listed but when you factor in that we are probably not only missing the playoffs but selecting top 5 in the draft without him. He puts us in a position to win every game even if nobody else shows up for 3 quarters our team knows if they keep it close enough that Eli can go out there and win.

All-Pro

[quote user="DragonSoul"][quote user="miked1958"]didnt see that one... link[/quote][link]http://boards.giants.com/forums/2458774/ShowThread.aspx#2458774[/link][/quote]</P>

thanks</P>
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***