+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

STACY ANDREWS HOSPITALIZED

Giants OT Stacy Andrews will be out today as he was hospitalized last night. He was admitted for pulmonary embolisms in both lungs. He is expected to be released from the hospital on Monday.

Re: STACY ANDREWS HOSPITALIZED

What exactly is pulmonary embolisms?

[quote user="titwio"]What exactly is pulmonary embolisms?[/quote]

From what I understand, it's blood clots in the lungs.

[quote user="titwio"]What exactly is pulmonary embolisms?[/quote]
    I think it's blood clotting or pooling. I don't think is necessarily serious but, like anything else, it can be a manifestation of something that is.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Veteran

[quote user="Overdrive92"][quote user="titwio"]What exactly is pulmonary embolisms?[/quote] From what I understand, it's blood clots in the lungs.[/quote]

Sounds serious....hope he's okay.

[quote user="JMFP2"]

[quote user="Overdrive92"][quote user="titwio"]What exactly is pulmonary embolisms?[/quote] From what I understand, it's blood clots in the lungs.[/quote]

[/quote]agree. Hang in there Stacey

Veteran

[quote user="Rusty192"][quote user="JMFP2"]

[/quote]agree. Hang in there Stacey
    [/quote]

I have the same thing. It can be life threatening if not caught or if the clots are large enough. They put a filter in my groin to prevent large clots from traveling from my legs to my heart. They will put him on blood thinners for a while and he should be ok!

[quote user="DVision"]...
    I have the same thing. It can be life threatening if not caught or if the clots are large enough. They put a filter in my groin to prevent large clots from traveling from my legs to my heart. They will put him on blood thinners for a while and he should be ok![/quote]
    What can cause it?

Not a doctor, just a lowly pre-med student, so hopefully a real MD will come along and offer more insight, but....

A pulmonary embolism is a blockage of one or more arteries in the lungs. It usually goes hand in hand with deep vein thrombosis (DVT)- in which a clot that originates (usually) in your legs travels to your lungs. PEs can be fatal- but that they caught it and he is expected to be released on Monday is a good sign. The two together (PE and DVT) are referred to as venous thromboembolism.

One of the bigger concerns with a PE is that the blockage can actually damage the surrounding lung tissue- essentially depriving it of oxygen and causing the tissue to die.

Usually it's treated with an anti-coagulant. How serious his case is depends on a lot of factors, and without knowing specifics it's hard to comment. It may be something that he'll need long-term treatment for, maybe not. I can't say.

I do hope he has a speedy recovery!

[quote user="krygny"][quote user="DVision"]...
    I have the same thing. It can be life threatening if not caught or if the clots are large enough. They put a filter in my groin to prevent large clots from traveling from my legs to my heart. They will put him on blood thinners for a while and he should be ok![/quote]
    What can cause it?

[/quote]

Usually a blood clot from your legs or another area related to DVT, but it could be air bubbles, it could be fat from the marrow of a broken bone... it depends.