+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Janoris Jenkins (CB)?

Veteran

Re: Janoris Jenkins (CB)?

[quote user="Neverend"][quote user="bLuereverie"]I think the only "physically freak" thing about Barden was his height.[/quote]

Agreed. The guy has no speed, quickness, or burst. Vastly overrated[/quote]

I fail to see how a mid-rounder who bested Jerry Rice's college production could be over-rated. (by the by, he's also faster than Plax. low 40 of 4.48 vs 4.59). But then again, I never expected him to be the "savior" of the franchise and the only piece missing from a superbowl run.

Unless we're saying he's overrated because he couldn't crack a top 3 that featured two of the 3 best receivers in the team's 87 year history... after a bad ankle injury, in an offense that demands chemistry with not only the QB, but every other member of the offense.

But then I don't remember anyone calling him a bust or overrated when he made tough, physical, possibly game deciding 3rd down catches when Nicks was out.

'Rio will likely be gone this offseason, and Barden will likely step up to he 3rd receiver slot. Lets see what he does when given a legitimate shot.

Overrated in the sense of how some fans have unrealistic expectations of this guy. Overrated in that his third round pick was clearly a 3 round reach then, and it's showing now.

He had ONE big catch against NE in what was ultimately finished as a two catch performance.

He's had shots when he wasn't injured, and he has shown nothing that suggests he can gain separation from an NFL DB.

If he produces, great. That will only help the team. But it would be foolish for the Giants to not search to improve the third receiver position based on faith on Barden alone. The 40time is perhaps one of the most exaggerated stat in scouting.

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="heavyhitter"]<font size="2">The Giants shouldn't even have to take a CB in the 1st round after taking Amukamara at 19th overall last year. When you draft a player that high, you expect big things from him and to at least be a starter. Everyone knows JR picks BPA, & if Jenkins happens to be that guy I'd be thrilled. I think one, maybe 2 DB's (mid-late rounds) may be drafted this year. I think they target an OL or DL w/ the 1st rounder.</font>
    [/quote]

Eh not precisely true .... he took JPP over Iupati in 2010 (Iupati being a more NFL ready talent at the time and a need position).

JR generally does a pretty good job of blending need/desire/BPA.

Ramses Barden was a great example of desire over BPA. There were better receivers that year earlier/later (and available) but JR wanted another possible Plax (bad decision but there ya go).[/quote]

Seems a little revisionist to give him props for taking a chance on a physical freak like JPP, bu then condemning him for doing the exact same thing in round 3 with Barden.

Both were physical freaks and considered a bit "developmental." 1 worked out in droves and the other has* yet to work out, in part because of injuries, which can hardly be predicted by a GM(in most cases.)

Back when we picked Nicks, Reese said we missed the physical outside presence since Plax departure. So, we had the guy who replaced Plax already. Therefor your guess as to why Reese selected Barden to replace plax doesnt really work. I think its fair to say Barden was selected because the guy really is a physical specimen and he produce quite amazing numbers in college.
    [/quote]

1) I was only pointing out that BPA means different things to different people. Reese's draft board BPA might not necessarily be the same as yours or what conventional wisdom might dictate.

2) Reese was quoted as saying "We see Barden as a potential replacement for the size we lost with Plax".

Having looked at our last few starting CBs (CWeb, T2, Ross, Prince, etc ...) they are all uniformly 6-0". To Slipknot's point, I agree that JJ's size alone might lower his stock on the Giant's draft board.

Conversely he has a better 40 time then Ross did coming out of college and that was one of the reasons we drafted Ross. It will be interesting to see what his Combine numbers turn up.

I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="heavyhitter"]<font size="2">The Giants shouldn't even have to take a CB in the 1st round after taking Amukamara at 19th overall last year. When you draft a player that high, you expect big things from him and to at least be a starter. Everyone knows JR picks BPA, &amp; if Jenkins happens to be that guy I'd be thrilled. I think one, maybe 2 DB's (mid-late rounds) may be drafted this year. I think they target an OL or DL w/ the 1st rounder.</font>
    [/quote]

Eh not precisely true .... he took JPP over Iupati in 2010 (Iupati being a more NFL ready talent at the time and a need position).

Ramses Barden was a great example of desire over BPA. There were better receivers that year earlier/later (and available) but JR wanted another possible Plax (bad decision but there ya go).[/quote]

Seems a little revisionist to give him props for taking a chance on a physical freak like JPP, bu then condemning him for doing the exact same thing in round 3 with Barden.

Both were physical freaks and considered a bit "developmental." 1 worked out in droves and the other has yet to work out, in part because of injuries, which can hardly be predicted by a GM(in most cases.)

Back when we picked Nicks, Reese said we missed the physical outside presence since Plax departure. So, we had the guy who replaced Plax already. Therefor your guess as to why Reese selected Barden to replace plax doesnt really work. I think its fair to say Barden was selected because the guy really is a physical specimen and he produce quite amazing numbers in college.
    [/quote]

1) I was only pointing out that BPA means different things to different people. Reese's draft board BPA might not necessarily be the same as yours or what conventional wisdom might dictate.

2) Reese was quoted as saying "We see Barden as a potential replacement for the size we lost with Plax".

Having looked at our last few starting CBs (CWeb, T2, Ross, Prince, etc ...) they are all uniformly 6-0". To Slipknot's point, I agree that JJ's size alone might lower his stock on the Giant's draft board.

Conversely he has a better 40 time then Ross did coming out of college and that was one of the reasons we drafted Ross. It will be interesting to see what his Combine numbers turn up.[/quote]<font size="2">I can see Dallas making a move for Janoris Jenkins or Dre Kirkpatrick unless they sign a Cortland Finnegan or other big name CB in free agency. They could use the help, that's for sure.</font>

[quote user="heavyhitter"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="heavyhitter"]<font size="2">The Giants shouldn't even have to take a CB in the 1st round after taking Amukamara at 19th overall last year. When you draft a player that high, you expect big things from him and to at least be a starter. Everyone knows JR picks BPA, & if Jenkins happens to be that guy I'd be thrilled. I think one, maybe 2 DB's (mid-late rounds) may be drafted this year. I think they target an OL or DL w/ the 1st rounder.</font>
    [/quote]

Both were physical freaks and considered a bit "developmental." 1 worked out in droves and the other has* yet to work out, in part because of injuries, which can hardly be predicted by a GM(in most cases.)

[/quote]

Conversely he has a better 40 time then Ross did coming out of college and that was one of the reasons we drafted Ross. It will be interesting to see what his Combine numbers turn up.[/quote]<font size="2">I can see Dallas making a move for Janoris Jenkins or Dre Kirkpatrick unless they sign a Cortland Finnegan or other big name CB in free agency. They could use the help, that's for sure.</font>
    [/quote]

Agree.
    I have met you. You dont even look good in a winter coat let alone a wet t-shirt... -GameTime

If Ingram is sitting on their lap at 14. I think Dallas has a better draft by replacing Spencer with him, then work rounds 2-5 in a deep CB draft to fix their secondary. That is what I am hoping they won't do.

With his track record I do not think he would be a good fit in the birhgt lights of NYC.

[quote user="Neverend"][quote user="bLuereverie"]I think the only "physically freak" thing about Barden was his height.[/quote]

Agreed. The guy has no speed, quickness, or burst. Vastly overrated[/quote]If u have no quickness or burst u need to be physical to be successful and he isnt that either. That pick bothered me when they made it but I did understand it.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Neverend"][quote user="bLuereverie"]I think the only "physically freak" thing about Barden was his height.[/quote]

Agreed. The guy has no speed, quickness, or burst. Vastly overrated[/quote]If u have no quickness or burst u need to be physical to be successful and he isnt that either. That pick bothered me when they made it but I did understand it.[/quote]

It bothers me more that he's still on the team.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Neverend"][quote user="bLuereverie"]I think the only "physically freak" thing about Barden was his height.[/quote]

Agreed. The guy has no speed, quickness, or burst. Vastly overrated[/quote]If u have no quickness or burst u need to be physical to be successful and he isnt that either. That pick bothered me when they made it but I did understand it.[/quote]

It bothers me more that he's still on the team.[/quote]

I agree with both of you.

+ Reply to Thread