+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Defense or Offense First?

If we win the toss, would you elect to go defense or offense first?

I know if the Giants win the toss, they will most likely take the ball and go on offense first. So, here are my thoughts:

Reason to go offense first:
    1) Keep Brady and the Pats offense off the field
    2) We have a tendency to start off slow on offense, so give us a chance to have more offensive possessions.
    3) Have a chance to score first, gain some momentum, drain the clock, tire out the defense and reinforces #1.

Reasons to go on defense first:
    1) If we can get the Pats offense off the field, we'll gain momentum for our defense
    2) Everyone starts off with jitters....may make their offense start out of sync...gives us momentum
    3) We will get the ball at the start of the 2nd half, so regardless of how the first half goes, we know we'll get the ball.
    4) Limits the number of possessions for the Pats offense in the 2nd half

Again, I'm sure the Giants will want the ball, but I always prefer to send the Defense out first to make a statement and get the ball first in the 2nd half....thoughts?

Re: Defense or Offense First?

i'm usually a deferral guy, but this game is the exception.

we can't start slow against brady.

it gives him room to breath, it gives the pats defense which is playing better confidence, and it plays away from our defense's strength which is getting after the QB.

We need to start quick in this game.

i want the ball first.

Getting the ball to start the 3rd to me is more important because your into the flow of the game already.

Exactly....think how much more confidence we would have if the Pats go 3 and out....I want the ball to start the 3rd!

[quote user="Hoova0797"]Exactly....think how much more confidence we would have if the Pats go 3 and out....I want the ball to start the 3rd![/quote]

that's not alot of respect for an offense that deserves alot of respect.

if you're going to beat down a unit on the pats, it'll be their defense, and beating their defense down will help you do what you do best on offense.

we'll have a tonne of confidence if the pats go 3 and out whether we've had a possession or not.

i'd rather have tom come out and feel he has to score and has to move the ball downfield, because there's already 7 points on the board.

that plays to the strength of our passrush, and gives our defense some cushion against a pats offense that will put up points this game.

I think both offenses come out a bit conservative at first so the first possesion or two will be a non factor. If they win the toss go on D and get the ball to start the 3rd.

Getting the ball to start the 3rd is huge because if you are behind it gives a chance to catch up and if you are ahead it gives the opportunity to increase your lead right off the bat...

"Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

i personally like the strategy GB used so effectively. and thats defer. with eli, we can always score in the 2 min drill at the end of the half. if we can go into halftime with a lead, than u start the 3rd with the ball, momentum, and a score gives us a two possession lead and puts a ton of pressure on NE, and with our d, them playing catchup really hurts there chance of winning.

Play defense, I don't respect their offense that much - yeah it's good, but we'll be okay.

Our defense is stepping up, and if our defense allows Brady to go 3 and out, and rattle him up a bit on the first drive, I think he'll be in for a rude awakening the whole game... Plus I want the ball back in the 3rd to make a comeback if need be.

[quote user="Hoova0797"]If we win the toss, would you elect to go defense or offense first?

I know if the Giants win the toss, they will most likely take the ball and go on offense first. So, here are my thoughts:

Reason to go offense first:
    1) Keep Brady and the Pats offense off the field
    2) We have a tendency to start off slow on offense, so give us a chance to have more offensive possessions.
    3) Have a chance to score first, gain some momentum, drain the clock, tire out the defense and reinforces #1.

Reasons to go on defense first:
    1) If we can get the Pats offense off the field, we'll gain momentum for our defense
    2) Everyone starts off with jitters....may make their offense start out of sync...gives us momentum
    3) We will get the ball at the start of the 2nd half, so regardless of how the first half goes, we know we'll get the ball.
    4) Limits the number of possessions for the Pats offense in the 2nd half

Again, I'm sure the Giants will want the ball, but I always prefer to send the Defense out first to make a statement and get the ball first in the 2nd half....thoughts?[/quote]

I'd go first hoping for the fast break out of the gate.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Banned

We go on offense.

The only reason to defer is because of weather, and weather is not a factor.

We go on offense and try to set the tone.