+ Reply to Thread

Huh. interesting article on Gilbride

definitely worth a read

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1013448

The hands clap and the huddle breaks and the receivers jog out to their positions. Kevin Gilbride has already relayed the play to Eli Manning, but the receivers still have no idea where they’re going to go.

That’s part of the beauty of the Gilbride offense. Everything the receivers do is based on what happens next. Is there man-to-man coverage or a zone? Which way are the safeties shading? Are the corners pressing on the line or leaving a cushion?

Then, when the ball is snapped and the defense goes in motion, everything could change...again.

“Yeah, it’s definitely tough,” says receiver Victor Cruz. “It’s one of the biggest things I had to adjust to, learning how to read coverages and adjust mid-route. We had a few read-routes in college, but nothing to this extent where it’s 15 yards down field and you have to make an adjustment. Sometimes they may line up one way, then when the ball comes they move to somewhere else. So you have to see all of that.”

It’s a demanding system. It can be confusing. It can be frustrating, too, especially to a young player. It’s also explosive, “quarterback-friendly,” potent, and the most prolific offensive system the Giants franchise has ever seen.

“That’s the beauty of it,” says backup quarterback David Carr. “When we’re rolling, it’s hard to stop.”

That’s what the 60-year-old Gilbride has created in his eighth season with the Giants and fifth since taking over as the offensive coordinator. He’s helped turn Eli Manning from an erratic, interception-prone quarterback into a near-5,000-yard passer. He’s built an offensive machine that has rallied from six fourth-quarter deficits this year. It can strike so quickly, the Giants never feel like they’re out of a game.

And he’s done that with a rebuilding offensive line, the 32nd-ranked rushing attack in the league, and a tight end (Jake Ballard) and star receiver (Victor Cruz) who had never had a single catch in the NFL before this year.

Manning gets all the credit, and much of it is deserved. But it’s not like he’s on the field drawing up plays in the dirt.

“Eli’s playing so well and that’s a tribute to Kevin,” says former Giants quarterbacks coach Chris Palmer, who is now the offensive coordinator with the Tennessee Titans. “The guy is an outstanding football coach and does a great job. What is perceived about him and what is real is not necessarily one and the same. Kevin should get a lot of credit for the success they’ve had this year.”

Ask anyone in the locker room, and Gilbride does get the credit. Tom Coughlin praises his ability as a teacher and his players praise his patience and the way he calls a game. It drives them crazy that he’s a target for angry fans, who sometimes call him “Killdrive” when games don’t go the Giants’ way.

The hands clap and the huddle breaks and the receivers jog out to their positions. Kevin Gilbride has already relayed the play to Eli Manning, but the receivers still have no idea where they’re going to go.

That’s part of the beauty of the Gilbride offense. Everything the receivers do is based on what happens next. Is there man-to-man coverage or a zone? Which way are the safeties shading? Are the corners pressing on the line or leaving a cushion?

Then, when the ball is snapped and the defense goes in motion, everything could change...again.

“Yeah, it’s definitely tough,” says receiver Victor Cruz. “It’s one of the biggest things I had to adjust to, learning how to read coverages and adjust mid-route. We had a few read-routes in college, but nothing to this extent where it’s 15 yards down field and you have to make an adjustment. Sometimes they may line up one way, then when the ball comes they move to somewhere else. So you have to see all of that.”

It’s a demanding system. It can be confusing. It can be frustrating, too, especially to a young player. It’s also explosive, “quarterback-friendly,” potent, and the most prolific offensive system the Giants franchise has ever seen.

“That’s the beauty of it,” says backup quarterback David Carr. “When we’re rolling, it’s hard to stop.”

That’s what the 60-year-old Gilbride has created in his eighth season with the Giants and fifth since taking over as the offensive coordinator. He’s helped turn Eli Manning from an erratic, interception-prone quarterback into a near-5,000-yard passer. He’s built an offensive machine that has rallied from six fourth-quarter deficits this year. It can strike so quickly, the Giants never feel like they’re out of a game.

And he’s done that with a rebuilding offensive line, the 32nd-ranked rushing attack in the league, and a tight end (Jake Ballard) and star receiver (Victor Cruz) who had never had a single catch in the NFL before this year.

Manning gets all the credit, and much of it is deserved. But it’s not like he’s on the field drawing up plays in the dirt.

“Eli’s playing so well and that’s a tribute to Kevin,” says former Giants quarterbacks coach Chris Palmer, who is now the offensive coordinator with the Tennessee Titans. “The guy is an outstanding football coach and does a great job. What is perceived about him and what is real is not necessarily one and the same. Kevin should get a lot of credit for the success they’ve had this year.”

Ask anyone in the locker room, and Gilbride does get the credit. Tom Coughlin praises his ability as a teacher and his players praise his patience and the way he calls a game. It drives them crazy that he’s a target for angry fans, who sometimes call him “Killdrive” when games don’t go the Giants’ way.

FINISH THE REST AT LINK.

Re: Huh. interesting article on Gilbride

Gilbride,always get's the blame never the praise!!! Coaches coach players play!! Enough with the Killdrive does he drop the passes or miss the block?

I always defended KG against the masses. MOST teams fans hate thier OC.

great article on the giants streak and read principle offense. i'm surprised that YA Title didn't start the thread. ;-)

i'm enjoying all these in-depth articles. i'll keep posting them.

twitter has been the best source all season.

Really good article. While he does leave me scratching my head with some of his calls, he's had us as a top-10 offense consistently. I really believe you can plug most receivers into his offense and he would be successful.

The sad thing is there's still a ton of people that think we're successful in spite of KG, not because of him.

[quote user="BlueReign"] I really believe you can plug most receivers into his offense and he would be successful.
    [/quote]

I disagree on this point. To be successful as a WR in KG's system you have to be able to properly read defenses on the fly which is something that not all receivers can do.