+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to beat the Pats? Press man to man coverage

thats how the steelers and giants both beat NE this season. Pitt showed that if u press their passing targets and disrupt the timing and reroute them, Brady starts to make bad decisions and throws into tight coverage.

thats how our defense will dominate their offense imo. it gives our DL more time to get after tom tom, while also setting the tone of being the more physical team.

i expect we will see a lot of press man to man, of course with some zone too. but expect a big majority of the game to see us jamming their wr's and te's off the line of scrimmage, to see a lot of NE's underneath routes to be rerouted, and a lot of sacks.

the offense of ny will be able to score points on NE, this I have no doubt. and i believe eli is going to have one of the best performances of his career. but that should be our base defensive philosophy.

Re: How to beat the Pats? Press man to man coverage

also, NE likes to throw inbetween the hash marks/numbers. they rarely throw it outside or deep. its usually middle of the field intermediate routes. i expect we will also see a lot of boley, kiwi, and chase to drop off into zones to cover the middle of the field, much like our first matchup.

Veteran

There really is no reason or excuse if we lose this game. We are the superior team hands down. The AFC has be a joke all season and the Pats snuck in due to the mediocrity of others. Plus gronk being injured.

This is one of the rare cases where if we lost it would be because we beat ourselves. We can make no mistakes. Protect the ball at all costs! If we do that, we win easy.

This post is on the assumption we are only talking defense wise.

One thing the Giants are not afraid to do is play man to man with the Patriots. We played an incredible amount of press man, showed many different man concepts, a lot of single high safety on Brady's drop backs, and plenty of zone looks too. Our foundation for SB 46 is without a doubt in my mind going to be our three safety set.

We won't match up to specific wide receivers, there's no use wondering who we cover with who, we didn't do it vs them week 9 and we won't do it again.

I don't expect much Blackburn or Kiwi (Kiwi will rush on occasions), because we will implement a heavy 3 safety set with Boley and Williams to offset their 22 personnel. The main guy we will have to worry about is Hernandez. He is a much more established guy in that offense then week 9. He is a guy we have to look out for. Gronkowski's ankle might make him a decoy, but it's really been his blocking that scares me. Saw some of that Ravens game and he, on a couple of occasions, would plow Suggs and run his pattern.

The Pats are gonna use a lot of different formations to counter our pass rush, and they definitely match up better with their tight ends then they did in 07, but the biggest X factor for them is gonna be their screen game. It's kind of fell of the radar but I will guarantee at least 8 screens.

Pats are a dink and dunk team now. Whenever that rookie Slater is in the game usually means they throw a bomb to him.

[quote user="gmen0820"]This post is on the assumption we are only talking defense wise.

One thing the Giants are not afraid to do is play man to man with the Patriots. We played an incredible amount of press man, showed many different man concepts, a lot of single high safety on Brady's drop backs, and plenty of zone looks too. Our foundation for SB 46 is without a doubt in my mind going to be our three safety set.

We won't match up to specific wide receivers, there's no use wondering who we cover with who, we didn't do it vs them week 9 and we won't do it again.

I don't expect much Blackburn or Kiwi (Kiwi will rush on occasions), because we will implement a heavy 3 safety set with Boley and Williams to offset their 22 personnel. The main guy we will have to worry about is Hernandez. He is a much more established guy in that offense then week 9. He is a guy we have to look out for. Gronkowski's ankle might make him a decoy, but it's really been his blocking that scares me. Saw some of that Ravens game and he, on a couple of occasions, would plow Suggs and run his pattern.

The Pats are gonna use a lot of different formations to counter our pass rush, and they definitely match up better with their tight ends then they did in 07, but the biggest X factor for them is gonna be their screen game. It's kind of fell of the radar but I will guarantee at least 8 screens.[/quote]

yeah my bad the title should be how to beat the pats offense. and i totally agree with gronks blocking. on one of the better runs for BJG, gronk full out took ngata out of the play and opened up a big alley. def. one of the aspects of gronks play that goes unnoticed.

one thing im worried about is BB is excellent at adapting his scheme/gameplan based on past experience. i'm worried that he'll have an answer for the press man to man single high safety looks. fewell must still be creative and have different options to rely on but i think the base defense has to be what u described so well.

Veteran

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="gmen0820"]This post is on the assumption we are only talking defense wise.

The Pats are gonna use a lot of different formations to counter our pass rush, and they definitely match up better with their tight ends then they did in 07, but the biggest X factor for them is gonna be their screen game. It's kind of fell of the radar but I will guarantee at least 8 screens.[/quote]

yeah my bad the title should be how to beat the pats offense. and i totally agree with gronks blocking. on one of the better runs for BJG, gronk full out took ngata out of the play and opened up a big alley. def. one of the aspects of gronks play that goes unnoticed.

one thing im worried about is BB is excellent at adapting his scheme/gameplan based on past experience. i'm worried that he'll have an answer for the press man to man single high safety looks. fewell must still be creative and have different options to rely on but i think the base defense has to be what u described so well.[/quote]Fewell was in the AFC East for years so I think he'll know what to do.

Maybe we are lucky that we got a AFC East team in the SB. Don't forget we swept the division this year.

We have showed a lot on tape, I just really hope we have a couple things hidden from the film.

The screen game is gonna be a huge task for us to defend. They are really gonna stress it, I feel. I really hope it doesn't gas the defense too much and if we can get some early success, they really won't be able to keep running it.

I don't remember our defense dictating the opposition as much as they have the past couple weeks in a long time. If our offense, which I have a lot of observations on vs the Pats, can get a nice little cushion and we can take NE out of their gameplan just the tiniest bit, they start to spread their guys out, they are really playing into our pass rusher's hands.

[quote user="jjj45"][quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="gmen0820"]This post is on the assumption we are only talking defense wise.

one thing im worried about is BB is excellent at adapting his scheme/gameplan based on past experience. i'm worried that he'll have an answer for the press man to man single high safety looks. fewell must still be creative and have different options to rely on but i think the base defense has to be what u described so well.[/quote]Fewell was in the AFC East for years so I think he'll know what to do.

Maybe we are lucky that we got a AFC East team in the SB. Don't forget we swept the division this year.
    [/quote]

Bills record vs Pats isn't a good thing to hang your hopes on. It's like 20-1 or some crap since Brady took over.

[quote user="jjj45"]There really is no reason or excuse if we lose this game. We are the superior team hands down. The AFC has be a joke all season and the Pats snuck in due to the mediocrity of others. Plus gronk being injured.

This is one of the rare cases where if we lost it would be because we beat ourselves. We can make no mistakes. Protect the ball at all costs! If we do that, we win easy.
    [/quote]

you're another fan who will be in for a reality check this game
    Don't take it personal, we're just debating.

~Big Mike~