+ Reply to Thread

Chris Polk - RB University of Washington

Here is a guy I would like for us to target and for some reason he is falling. I think we would be able to snatch him up in Round 3. I feel today too many people take stock in the offseason events like the combine and Senior Bowl practices (really!). This is where Polk fell. Did they forget his numbers on the field which are awesome and the fact that he ran behind a not so great OLine at UW

2009 - 1,113 yds and a 4.9 YPC with 5 TDs and 25 receptions

2010 - 1,415 yds and a 5.4 YPC with 9 TDs and 22 receptions

2011 - 1,488 yds and a 5.1 YPC with 12 TDs and 31 receptions

I read that in Senior Bowl practices he had trouble picking up blitzes. What RB coming out of College doesn't need to work on blitz pick up. He can learn that. If you watch his tape, he is so much like Arian Foster its crazy. Tough runner with excellent vision and good enough speed. He would be a great compliment to AB and eventually our starter.

What do you guys think of this draft?

1. Dwayne Allen - TE - Clemson

2. Levy Ad**** - OT - Oklahoma State

3. Chris Polk - RB - Washington

4a. James Michael-Johnson - ILB - Nevada

4b. Jeff Fuller - WR - Texas A&M

5. Josh Robinson - CB - Central Florida

6. Antoine McClain - G - Clemson

7. Jamie Blatnick - DE - Oklahoma State

Re: Chris Polk - RB University of Washington

Dwayne Allen I'm all for...
    Polk, I'd rather have Doug Martin....
    James Michael Johnson,I'd raged address LB in FA....we need a impact LB week 1....
    Fuller,I'm not against another WR.....but I've heard nothing but bad things about fuller this year....and I'd rather draft a guy that can be a decent WR & be a beast on special teams....a good return guy is something we havent had for awhile (think Knox,Antonio brown,danarius Moore)

Everything else, I think it's a must spend a FA signing Oline & drft one........also need DT & S depth...

Polk was a guy a few of us had discussed throughout the college season.

However, your depiction that he just had trouble picking up blitz at the senior bowl leaves a lot of out.

He flat out stunk at the senior bowl practice week. He looked soft at wiegh in and ran soft all week.

McShay (I know he is an idiot but he wasnt the only 1) said Polk hurt his stock more than anyone else at skill positions.

Here is a quote from Draftinsider "On the other hand Chris Polk may have been better off
    applying for a red-shirt season and returning to school as the former
    Washington running back is taking a tumble down draft boards. Scouts
    were less than impressed by his ball carrying skills during Senior Bowl
    practices. Polk looked very straight-linish and upright taking
    hand-offs, displaying no ability to create yardage. Worse yet we’ve
    been told by several sources his interviews during the week were awful.
    Scouts were caught off guard by many of the responses Polk gave to
    questions posed. The answers to follow-up questions were just as
    worrisome for scouts who completed interviews. Polk is now being graded
    as a last day pick by a number of teams.
    "

In Polk's defense, many of the reports said he looked very slow to accellerate on the field. He claims he can run a 4.4 and will do it at the combine which would go a long way to help silence his doubters. Maybe, he is 1 of those guys that has deceptive speed, who knows. But, just going on what I read that week, I would much prefer a lot of other guys.

[quote user="BlueSanta"]Polk was a guy a few of us had discussed throughout the college season.

However, your depiction that he just had trouble picking up blitz at the senior bowl leaves a lot of out.

He flat out stunk at the senior bowl practice week. He looked soft at wiegh in and ran soft all week.

McShay (I know he is an idiot but he wasnt the only 1) said Polk hurt his stock more than anyone else at skill positions.

Here is a quote from Draftinsider "On the other hand Chris Polk may have been better off
    "

In Polk's defense, many of the reports said he looked very slow to accellerate on the field. He claims he can run a 4.4 and will do it at the combine which would go a long way to help silence his doubters. Maybe, he is 1 of those guys that has deceptive speed, who knows. But, just going on what I read that week, I would much prefer a lot of other guys.

[/quote]
    Polk doesn't run soft on game day. The guy plays pretty hard nosed with a solid size speed ratio and has put together an impressive collegiate career numbers wise. IMO he'll be a mid round pick in the 3-5 range

[quote user="juice33s"][quote user="BlueSanta"]Polk was a guy a few of us had discussed throughout the college season.

"

[/quote]
    Polk doesn't run soft on game day. The guy plays pretty hard nosed with a solid size speed ratio and has put together an impressive collegiate career numbers wise. IMO he'll be a mid round pick in the 3-5 range
    [/quote]

This is exactly what I am saying about Polk. He is not soft when it counts, the game. They said he came in overweight from his game weight of 222lbs. He weighed in at 224lbs, not too much of a difference. Him falling has all to do with one week at an all-star game than three excellent years of game film. That makes little sense to me.

[quote user="myles2424"]Dwayne Allen I'm all for...
    Polk, I'd rather have Doug Martin....
    James Michael Johnson,I'd raged address LB in FA....we need a impact LB week 1....
    Fuller,I'm not against another WR.....but I've heard nothing but bad things about fuller this year....and I'd rather draft a guy that can be a decent WR & be a beast on special teams....a good return guy is something we havent had for awhile (think Knox,Antonio brown,danarius Moore)

Everything else, I think it's a must spend a FA signing Oline & drft one........also need DT & S depth...[/quote]

Martin would be great yes but we would not take him in round 1 and he will be gone by the time we grab him in round 2. As for a LB, I think we will take a run at Curtis Lofton but if we fail, the draft is a fall back option and Johnson has some good skills. In terms of Fuller, he had a bad year yes but he is one year removed from making Patrick Peterson look like a chump in a bowl game. He has excellent ability and we are drafting him for upside. Also, we have the special teams WR already in Jernigan. He will play a big role with us next year. He has all the qualities that a guy like Antonio Brown has. Don't take this year and say he stinks.

[quote user="tdawg1413"] They said he came in overweight from his game weight of 222lbs. He weighed in at 224lbs, not too much of a difference. Him falling has all to do with one week at an all-star game than three excellent years of game film. That makes little sense to me.
    [/quote]

Thats not realy what they were saying at all. All the players have to take their clothes(mostly) off for the weigh in. Its hard to hide fat when your shirt if off. Chris Polk looked chubby and soft to more than a few scouts.

Now, that in itself doesnt mean anything. I doubt Jerome Bettis turned heads with his shirt off back in the day.

But, there were other things mentioned too. You cant ignore the reports of bad interviews. You also cant ignore the lack of execution during the practice week.

These are just pieces of the puzzle. They do not make the player. He could still end up being a very good pro. But they do matter especially when scouts arent just saying "he looked off" but saying "he performed the worst of everyone at his position."

It is , after all, a very strong RB class. Polk still could really shut some people up at the combine too. Those reports of "slow" would be forgotten if he ran a 4.4 like he says he can.