+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Most Giants Fans Wanted Coughlin Out of Here This Season...

Why do I keep hearing this over and over again from every analyst and expert? It's so untrue.

Another Media creation that I'm glad TC takes in stride, and better yet, that rallies his team to play for him to "keep his job."

*Sigh*

Re: Most Giants Fans Wanted Coughlin Out of Here This Season...

to be fair there were two losses this season that I think heated TC seat a little.

Those being the Saints and Redskins games.

I didn't get the feeling the fans wanted Coughlin fired at any point this season (I certainly didnt) but it would be hard to justify retaining him had we collapsed again.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

Coughlin had a great answer to the questions about his job status

"I've been fired every year since I've been here. I respectfully don't pay attention"

Things were certainly building. Coughlin lost me during the 2010 Eagles collapse (for allowing players to celebrate prematurely which Parcells would not have allowed; for watching a 28 point comeback in 7:30; for not being prepared for the onsides kick; for throwing Dodge under the bus after the game).

He's been on one year contract extensions for how long now?

The regulars are going to be sick of hearing this, but you don't seem like one of the regulars since you just joined...

I, for example, liked Coughlin as a person and wanted him to succeed, but you had to look at his performance.

[*]Missing the playoffs 2 years in a row and looking like 3.[*]Losing Nov/Dec record (I think 31-42)[*]Late season collapses 7 out of 8 years (including this year). [*]Big game no-shows. Such as the last game at Giants Stadium in 2009
      which they lost badly it was like 44-9. Or the 2005 playoff loss to the
      Panthers, similar score. Blowing the #1 seed in 2008 losing to the Eagles at home. Those plus the 2010 Eagles meltdown mean
      Coughlin's presided over some of the most embarrassing losses in
      franchise history.[*]First round playoff exits 3x and no home playoff wins (until this year's win over the Falcons).[/list]

All those things put together meant you have to consider where this coaching regime is going. They point to bad football, and most worrisome you generally don't want to be playing your worst football at the end of the year.

I thought it was very similar to Joe Torre's 2nd half career with the Yankees -- mostly good but not getting it done anymore and living off past reputation, hoping for the magic to return.

And then, unlike Torre, the magic did return. Can't explain it.

But for whatever reasons, we get this magical wake-up postseason run every 4 years so I vowed to get off Coughlin's back if he won his first home playoff game, which he did.

Really I still think those things point to major problems but what am I going to do, throw away two great runs?
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

I've said all season long that if we don't make the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row, it might be time for him to leave.

Should I be eating crow or not?

All-Pro

i wouldn't say most fans, but those very outspoken, negative fans certainly did

in fact, once they realized that he would not be fired, they shifted gears over to ... well maybe he'll retire if we win to leave on a position note ... riding off into the sunset ... so they still want him gone

it was the 3rd game of the skid. it happens every year. it always has. fire coughlin, fire killdrive and fire fewell. when that happens, the giants pick up their game and get back to winning

[quote user="RonJon"]Coughlin had a great answer to the questions about his job status

"I've been fired every year since I've been here. I respectfully don't pay attention"[/quote]
    the end of that quote? "Unless it affects my family."

never heard any of that from me

i always liked TC, but at the dark point in the season, i thought his staff needed to be overhauled, at the least.

i thought that if he doesn't micromanage every little thing the way belicheat does, then he needs to bring in young minds. thats still really the case though, he isn't a coordinator by trade, so the team always has a revolving door at the OC, DC, and ST coach positions. its not like Parcells who had Belichick controlling the defense almost everywhere he went. even with the Cowboys, he had Wade who is a very good defensive coordinator. Coughlin has had Tim Lewis, Spags, Sheridan, Fewell ( who will most likely become HC in a year)on defense, and Huff and Killdrive (same situation).

i will say that while schemes have always been a roller coaster under TC, i think player development has been a lot better since Fassel. while TC might not have coordinator skill by trade, he's good at developing players across the board, especially OL, WR, CB, and Special Teams.