+ Reply to Thread

Markelle Martin vs Mark Barron

<font size="2">Do the think the Giants are targeting a safety in this years draft and if so which one of these two prospects is a better fit for the Giants team?
    </font>
    <ul>[*]<font size="4"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><u>Markelle Martin (Ok State) </u>- Free Safety (#1 rated)
    Height: 6 ft. 1 in. Weight: 203 lbs, High 40 yd dash: 4.48 seconds, Low 40 yd. dash: 4.38 seconds
    Abilities: Very physical, ball-hawk, can play 1-1, blitz, tends to go for big hit vs sure tackle </span></font>[/list]

</p><ul>[*]<font size="4"><span style="font-size: 12px;"><u>Mark Barron (Alabama) </u>- Strong Safety</span><span style="font-size: 12px;">
    Height: 6 ft. 2 in. Weight: 218 lbs, High 40 yd dash: 4.65 seconds, Low 40 yd. dash: 4.47 seconds
    Abilities:
    Semifinalist for the Thorpe Award and a quarterfinalist for the Lott
    Trophy ... a first-team FWAA All-American ... first-team All-SEC by the
    league coaches and the Associated Press (AP) <a href="http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=81868&amp;draftyear=2012&amp;ge npos=SS" target="_blank">
    </a></span></font>[/list]

Veteran

Re: Markelle Martin vs Mark Barron

Are the hoping a top safety falls to them at a good value? Sure. I suppose it really depends on how Jones comes back. I haven't heard if the Giants want him to come into camp as a safety or linebacker (he and his trainers asked back in December. If the answer was made public, I haven't seen it).

Of the two you listed, Barron fills the S/LB hybrid role (which is what would be vacated by Grant retiring), and fits the Giants DB mold to a T.

However of the safeties available this year, I like George Iloka the best. Similar size to Jones/J-Will (6'4", 220lbs). He plays the run with authority, but he also has the hips to cover the freak TE's of the league (Finley, Davis, Graham, Gronk). As well, he has the range to play center field. Oh, and he blew up the senior bowl practices, so he's shown well against great competition.

Re: Markelle Martin vs Mark Barron

I'd say Barron, easy.