+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Trent Dilfer's QB Rankings

Today Trent Dilfer wrote an article on ESPN ranking the top 40 QBs in the league. However, you need to pay for ESPN Insider to read it, which I do not have. I found a website where someone listed Dilfer's categories, but not his explanations. Apparently, he put Eli in the "Eli Zone" with no other QBs, a step below "Hall of Fame", but a step above "A Ring Away". Can someone who paid for Insider please share his rationale and explain what the Eli Zone is?

Also, for the record, here's the list from the other website. I don't know how well it matches Dilfer's list. I think it's pretty accurate, except I would move Romo and Flacco down a category. I would also move Rodgers and Roethlisberger into the Eli Zone. Rodgers because he is too young. If he suffered a career ending injury the first game next year, I don't think he makes the Hall of Fame. If he continues playing at the level he has been for another 5-7 years, he makes it. Roethlisberger because I think Eli and Rivers are both better but he has been to more Super Bowls then either of them.

Hall of Fame Level:

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

The Eli Zone:

Eli Manning

A Ring Away:

Phillip Rivers

Tony Romo

Matt Ryan

Joe Flacco

Matthew Stafford

Jay Cutler

Matt Schaub

Mostly Good:

Cam Newton

Michael Vick

Andy Dalton

Josh Freeman

Carson Palmer

Matt Hasselbeck

Alex Smith

Could Go Either Way:

Mark Sanchez

Sam Bradford

Kevin Kolb

Matt Cassell

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Kyle Orton

Matt Moore

Short Leash:

Tim Tebow

Blaine Gabbert

Colt McCoy

Christian Ponder

Rex Grossman

Tavaris Jackson

Curtis Painter

John Beck

Intriguing Wild Cards:

Matt Flynn

Jake Locker

TJ Yates

John Skelton

Brian Hoyer

Re: Trent Dilfer's QB Rankings

I'm not asking anyone to copy and paste the whole article. That wouldn't be right since you paid for it and I didn't. Just the paragraph about Eli please.

Dilfer is an idiot.
    Everything he says is usually bogus.

If Dilfer still played today he would be in the "Intriguing Wild Card" tier. And that's after the Ravens defense carried him to a ring.

This is so silly. So nearly all the QBS have a chance to make it to the HOF lol

Hall of Fame Level:
    Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees

Aaron Rodgers - Doesn't Belong yet - Needs time.
    Ben Roethlisberger - Doesn't Belong - maybe if he wins another 1-2 rings or is game improves. Just do not see it with him. Have you seen his SB numbers?

The Eli Zone:
    Eli Manning - Even if Eli never wins another ring, if he continues what he has been doing, or even improves he is in. If he wins another ring he still needs to do it for a bit longer. I feel Rodgers and Eli are near the same situation. Rodgers is getting more Credit then Eli, but Eli is starting to really be talked about, especially after the way the season came to be, and how he has carried the team.

A Ring Away:
    Phillip Rivers - Sorry he needs more. Did you see this year?
    Tony Romo - Sorry needs more then even Rivers. At least Rivers made it to some playoffs. But Romos tag is a choker.

Everyone else is no where near that discussion as of yet. Not saying it cannot happen for some of the other guys mentioned.
    Matt Ryan -
    Joe Flacco
    Matthew Stafford
    Jay Cutler
    Matt Schaub
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

dilfer isnt saying those guys are guaranteed to make the HOF. he's saying that there on track for the HOF.
    Eli should be in the HOF class, but I like the ELi zone which I take it to mean, Elite QB who needs to do a few things, like win this sunday, or have another year or two before he's HOF level.

Just bc Ben and Rodgers are in that HOF level doesnt mean they get there, it just means they are on the path to do so. also, keep in mind this is his opinion. i've heard him say their is no doubt eli is an elite qb. but he may need to do that one or two more seasons if he never wins another ring. I find this to be about right except the argument could be made Eli should be above Ben, although he does have 2 SB rings and most every QB with 2 or more SB rings has made it to the hall (if the qb was the big part they made it) which makes bens ranking a lil incorrect bc one of his SB rings was done despite him not bc of him.

i saw dilfer do a segment where he analyzed a ton of eli's passes and he said he was playing at the highest possible level of a qb. also vs SF, he said that the qbr was a joke and that was one of the best games he's ever seen a qb play.

i like this list, i feel it fits. dilfer does a ton of hw on qb play. i'd put Eli above Ben easily but I can see his argument, and i'd also say eli could be above rodgers but thats a hard argument to win.

[quote user="DragonSoul"]This is so silly. So nearly all the QBS have a chance to make it to the HOF lol

Hall of Fame Level:
    Peyton Manning
    Tom Brady
    Drew Brees

Aaron Rodgers - Doesn't Belong yet - Needs time.
    Ben Roethlisberger - Doesn't Belong - maybe if he wins another 1-2 rings or is game improves. Just do not see it with him. Have you seen his SB numbers?

The Eli Zone:
    Eli Manning - Even if Eli never wins another ring, if he continues what he has been doing, or even improves he is in. If he wins another ring he still needs to do it for a bit longer. I feel Rodgers and Eli are near the same situation. Rodgers is getting more Credit then Eli, but Eli is starting to really be talked about, especially after the way the season came to be, and how he has carried the team.

A Ring Away:
    Phillip Rivers - Sorry he needs more. Did you see this year?
    Tony Romo - Sorry needs more then even Rivers. At least Rivers made it to some playoffs. But Romos tag is a choker.

Everyone else is no where near that discussion as of yet. Not saying it cannot happen for some of the other guys mentioned.
    Matt Ryan -
    Joe Flacco
    Matthew Stafford
    Jay Cutler
    Matt Schaub[/quote]

again he's saying HOF Level meaning the current level of play could land them in the HOF. a ring away puts them in the eli zone, not HOF. Everyone else means they play better they get into a ring away category. He's basically saying if eli gets the SB and has a few more seasons around the level of play from this season, eli is a hof qb and i agree.

edit-and ben has made it to three SBs, thats damn impressive. also has a unique, kind of revolutionary type qb play.

Dilfer is not a HOF QB so his words mean very little but just another talking head.

[quote user="NYBlue10"]Dilfer is not a HOF QB so his words mean very little but just another talking head.[/quote]

i actually think in terms of studying qb play, dilfer is one of if not the best analyst. he literally tracks every throw for a season for the qbs.

and he's also said some of the throws elis made this season are as good as a qb can make the throw. he showed several passes elis made, like the one to cruz vs SF where his platform was way off for delivering the pass and he threw cruz open off of tight coverage and cruz made that diving catch. he also showcased elis passes vs dallas in dallas and in ny where he said eli is playing at as high a level a qb can play.

Dilfer is the ONLY QB to ever beat us in a SB.

and he kicked our assbucket.
    it's not like it was a 10 to 3 defensive battle.
    he rolled us up.
    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders