+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran

Despite the Hooplah - Is Our Offense Suspect?

We have a lot of talent on our offense - I think that goes without saying. I like Eli's confidence on third downs, I like our receivers - it seems to be a solid group.

And yet. The constipation of our offense often rears its ugly head this post-season.

In the Falcons game, we kept them in it until Nick was able to break a big play.

In the Packer game, our scores came off two big plays made by Nicks and off of turnovers/short fields.

The niners game. After the first half, we had nothing.

So where is this stellar offense? I mean, am I wrong? If we stall out in this game on drives we need to maintain, we could face some serious issues.

If I'm BB, I tell my boys not to give up the big play and tackle after the catch.

So yeah, thats my pregame anxiety.

Re: Despite the Hooplah - Is Our Offense Suspect?

This is a very good offense.

Not a 'stellar' offense, IMHO.

We need to start fast, get 6s with short fields, and have some success running the ball.

with those 3 things, even if we have some bad series where we go 3 and out or give up field position, we'll be fine.

No I don't believe our offense is on par with the likes of Saints where they would put up 40 points in a blink. I would say anywhere in the 30 range is an exceptional day for this offense.

With minimum mistakes and turnovers, anywhere in the 20 range is most likely their typical production.

Big plays and turnovers are the primary catalysts for scoring a lot of points, if you expect them to score a lot just on long drives without any turnovers, it's likely not going to happen even for a very solid offense.

What I would concern myself over this offense is their tendency to start very slow, and too many 3 and outs.

As far as the 3 playoff games go, I think the offense did very well except for the 49ers game, the game planning was just off on that day, but the weather was quite horrible so can't really blame it all on Gilbride.

[quote user="njsean"]We have a lot of talent on our offense - I think that goes without saying. I like Eli's confidence on third downs, I like our receivers - it seems to be a solid group.

And yet. The constipation of our offense often rears its ugly head this post-season.

In the Falcons game, we kept them in it until Nick was able to break a big play.

In the Packer game, our scores came off two big plays made by Nicks and off of turnovers/short fields.

The niners game. After the first half, we had nothing.

So where is this stellar offense? I mean, am I wrong? If we stall out in this game on drives we need to maintain, we could face some serious issues.

If I'm BB, I tell my boys not to give up the big play and tackle after the catch.

So yeah, thats my pregame anxiety.[/quote]
    The offense played pretty well against both atlanta and Green Bay. They didn't lay an egg against San Fran either.

Falcons game - Falcons have a great defense, and we lit it up in the second half.

Green bay game - We scored 37 points, even thought GB's D is subpar, without those suspect calls we could've scored higher.

SF - Putting up 20 pts on the best D in the NFL isn't bad.

Veteran

I'd just like to us to be able to methodically move the ball down the field. Not just rely on Nicks or Cruz making some chump look stupid and breaking a big play.

I mean, obviously, I'll take those. But they're hard to count on.

I hate talking like this, but honestly, I see Eli just straight up Shredding this D. This isn't the 49ers D, not by any stretch of the imagination. Even ATL had a better defense.

I can see Eli completing on 3rd downs more often than not.

We might have a classic case of taking a long time to warm up, we might even be down 14-0 by that time, but trust me, when Eli gets hot, he'll shred this D
    Odell Beckham Junior: The future of the Giants

Veteran

[quote user="Manning4MVP"]Falcons game - Falcons have a great defense, and we lit it up in the second half.

Green bay game - We scored 37 points, even thought GB's D is subpar, without those suspect calls we could've scored higher.

SF - Putting up 20 pts on the best D in the NFL isn't bad.
    [/quote]

It's not how many points we score in a game that concerns me.

It's the manner in which we scored them.

Heck, if we score 21 points on drives where we move the ball down the field without counting on a busted coverage or missed tackle, Id be happy.

I'm not a Gilbride basher by any stretch, but I don't know, I'd feel better if our touchdowns hadn't been coming from defensive miscues.

[quote user="egyptian420"]I hate talking like this, but honestly, I see Eli just straight up Shredding this D. This isn't the 49ers D, not by any stretch of the imagination. Even ATL had a better defense.

We might have a classic case of taking a long time to warm up, we might even be down 14-0 by that time, but trust me, when Eli gets hot, he'll shred this D
    [/quote]

+1

if vince wilfork has a game like he did against us during the regular season, i think this offense can and will shred the Pats D.

If Wilfork has a game like he did against the Ravens, this is going to be a really tough game to win.

Veteran

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"][quote user="egyptian420"]I hate talking like this, but honestly, I see Eli just straight up Shredding this D. This isn't the 49ers D, not by any stretch of the imagination. Even ATL had a better defense.

[/quote]

+1

if vince wilfork has a game like he did against us during the regular season, i think this offense can and will shred the Pats D.

If Wilfork has a game like he did against the Ravens, this is going to be a really tough game to win.[/quote]

+1, If Wilfork collapses the pocket it will be VERY tough for him to 'shred' the pats d.

Wouldn't be surprised if KG called a few rollouts to try and neutralize him as a threat.

*For the record I'm +1'ng the Wilfork comment