+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving The Date of The Super Bowl

I heard some discussion about this last year (amongst the fans), but wouldn't it be so much better for the majority of people if the Super Bowl was either (A) played on a Saturday or (B) played the Sunday of Presidents Day Weekend?

Now I know there are huge problems with both options, (A) the NFL feels they won't make as much money from ads if the game is on Saturday, the # of casual viewers will dip, and more people will go out to bars to watch the game which makes it more difficult for them to quantify how many people actually watched. (B) How the hell could we extend the season an extra 2 weeks when we already have 2 weeks between the CG's and the SB? One way would be an 18 game schedule, but I am definitely against that.

Maybe an extra bye week during the season & starting the season 1 week later than usual? I don't think the extra bye week is that crazy. Maybe it's not something we'll see any time soon but look at how practices have evolved over the last 25 years. I heard this week that the Giants haven't practiced in full pads since December. Maybe it's something that can be bargained over some where down the line.

I usually take off the Monday after the SB. This year I am hoping to come in on Monday and need Tuesday off. It would be nice for us if we didn't have to burn one of our own days though!

Re: Moving The Date of The Super Bowl

I wish they made it on a Saturday, it'd be awesome. No worrying about work / school the next day.

I already know I can't go to the parade (if there is one) because my professor takes points off for not coming in.

******ed

make the monday after a national holiday. case closed. we only have like 3 real holidays in this ****in country anyways, could we just have one more?

Saturday would be the best bet, and easiest logisticswise but it all comes down to $$. Apparently the NFL feels they'd lose money from the SB if it were played on a Saturday.

As for adding another national holiday, that'd be awesome but that definitely won't happen. When MLK Day became a national holiday most of corporate America just took away Columbus day and gave ppl off for MLK instead!

This isn't an issue about when the SB is played.

This is an issue about why the SB isnt a national holiday that is observed the following monday.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

[quote user="TrueBlue07"]I heard some discussion about this last year (amongst the fans), but wouldn't it be so much better for the majority of people if the Super Bowl was either (A) played on a Saturday or (B) played the Sunday of Presidents Day Weekend?

Now I know there are huge problems with both options, (A) the NFL feels they won't make as much money from ads if the game is on Saturday, the # of casual viewers will dip, and more people will go out to bars to watch the game which makes it more difficult for them to quantify how many people actually watched. (B) How the hell could we extend the season an extra 2 weeks when we already have 2 weeks between the CG's and the SB? One way would be an 18 game schedule, but I am definitely against that.

Maybe an extra bye week during the season & starting the season 1 week later than usual? I don't think the extra bye week is that crazy. Maybe it's not something we'll see any time soon but look at how practices have evolved over the last 25 years. I heard this week that the Giants haven't practiced in full pads since December. Maybe it's something that can be bargained over some where down the line.

I usually take off the Monday after the SB. This year I am hoping to come in on Monday and need Tuesday off. It would be nice for us if we didn't have to burn one of our own days though!
    [/quote]

Saturday is fine by me.

[quote user="burier"]This isn't an issue about when the SB is played.

This is an issue about why the SB isnt a national holiday that is observed the following monday.[/quote]

but it's much easier to move the date of the game than to get the country to institute another national holiday. I agree with you, and even though we get more viewers for the SB than voters in the presidential elections I dont see it happening

Bench Player

I can see it being played on President's Day weekend. Only if we go to a 18 game schedule. That is the only way it would possibly happen. IT would never be on a Saturday.

[quote user="TrueBlue07"]I heard some discussion about this last year (amongst the fans), but wouldn't it be so much better for the majority of people if the Super Bowl was either (A) played on a Saturday or (B) played the Sunday of Presidents Day Weekend?

Now I know there are huge problems with both options, (A) the NFL feels they won't make as much money from ads if the game is on Saturday, the # of casual viewers will dip, and more people will go out to bars to watch the game which makes it more difficult for them to quantify how many people actually watched. (B) How the hell could we extend the season an extra 2 weeks when we already have 2 weeks between the CG's and the SB?* One way would be an 18 game schedule, but I am definitely against that.

Maybe an extra bye week during the season & starting the season 1 week later than usual?* I don't think the extra bye week is that crazy.* Maybe it's not something we'll see any time soon but look at how practices have evolved over the last 25 years.* I heard this week that the Giants haven't practiced in full pads since December.* Maybe it's something that can be bargained over some where down the line.

I usually take off the Monday after the SB.* This year I am hoping to come in on Monday and need Tuesday off.* It would be nice for us if we didn't have to burn one of our own days though!
    [/quote]

MORE TIME TO THE SUPERBOWL?!?!?!?!

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="MikeIsaGiant"]I wish they made it on a Saturday, it'd be awesome. No worrying about work / school the next day.

I already know I can't go to the parade (if there is one) because my professor takes points off for not coming in.

******ed[/quote]Your Sig--very nice. Looks like they are playing in Lucas Stadium, Appropriate.