+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2000 Giants

The 2000 Giants

You Giant fans think that team was better then the 07 team or this year's team? I know you guys lost in the Super bowl that year but do you think that was the better team then the 07 Giants and this year's team?

Re: The 2000 Giants

No. That 2000 team was no where near as good as this team. The most important parts of a team, the qb and coach, were no where near as good in 2000 as they are today. Also, the pass rush, which is essential in todays game, is far superior.

Eli even in 07 was a MILLION times better than Kerry Collins.

We had better linebackers and a great 1-2 punch with Tiki and Dayne (Thunder and Lightning)

those are the only areas 2000 team was better than 07 or '11

EDIT: We had a great return team with Ron Dixon too

I remember the Vikings having a great team that season as well. Culpepper lit it up and no disrespect to the Giants but I thought the Rams were the best team in the NFC but they lost to the Saints of all teams in the playoffs.

I know you guys would love to have Jim Fassell back as your coach lol JK.

It would be a very long day for Luke (false start)Petitgout.

Giants fan since the early 80s

[quote user="bleeding blue"]Eli even in 07 was a MILLION times better than Kerry Collins.

We had better linebackers and a great 1-2 punch with Tiki and Dayne (Thunder and Lightning)

those are the only areas 2000 team was better than 07 or '11

EDIT: We had a great return team with Ron Dixon too[/quote]
    Kerry Collins was no slouch. The '00 team was solid all the way around, but I don't think they were dominant in any one facet. At least with this team they have a dominant passing game and pass rush.

Better comparison is the '07 and '11 teams because you have around 15 players on the '11 that were on the '07 team.

yeah, I think some people are underrating exactly how good that 2000 Ravens defense was. That was pretty much like a once in a generation type defense. The 2000 Giants team was pretty good, they just ran into a buzzsaw.

[quote user="Lambeau12"]I know you guys would love to have Jim Fassell back as your coach lol JK.[/quote]
    That was one negative about making the SB in '00 was that it meant Fassell got an extension, and John Fox wouldn't be our HC because he left for Carolina after that.

I was never a Fassell fan, but he was not a bad coach. He had the Giants in the playoffs pretty much every other year and they won the division a few times. But his teams would always have these games that they lost in the most head-scratching of ways (i.e. the '02 playoff game against SF in which we blew something like a 35-14 lead in the 4th qtr).

Overall, Fassell's body of work as HC was good. Not great, but good and certainly better than many other HCs that have gotten 2nd and 3rd shots at being an HC (i.e. Herm Edwards, Chan Gailey, Jerry Glanville).

[quote user="calzonesays"]yeah, I think some people are underrating exactly how good that 2000 Ravens defense was.* That was pretty much like a once in a generation type defense.* The 2000 Giants team was pretty good, they just ran into a buzzsaw.
    [/quote]
    That Raven D was the best since the '85 Bears, IMO. But I would still take the '85 Bears D.

I thought that the Giants were going to win SB 35 because they had a very good D themselves, plus a much better O and QB than Baltimore's. Goes to show what a truly superior shutdown D can do.

I want the Giants to have that type of D.