+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

Waayyy Back - Can anyone recall?

Started watching the Giants in '57 or '58 and they are still my team through all these years. As one gets older the memory seems to be less accurate. I am trying to recall "one play" which is always hard.

This would be a 'goal line' head on collision/tackle and I don't know the player's name or even the year but it was one of those 'never forget' (of course I recall it but not the facts). Giants at their goal line, opposing player started over right tackle and WHAMMO... the Giants (believe it was a linebacker) player met him about 1 ft behind the line of scrimmage head on and everyone heard the hit. The runner (who was a known guy) was stopped dead in his tracks and the Giants stopped the touchdown. This would have been 'before' the middle '70s I think. The player may have been Dryer but I recall the player was white, had a short name and might not have played too long for the Giants (which again might make it Dryer)... not much to go on but perhaps someone can recall that one play (out of so many)... thanks.

Re: Waayyy Back - Can anyone recall?

[quote user="RogerDane"]Started watching the Giants in '57 or '58 and they are still my team through all these years. As one gets older the memory seems to be less accurate. I am trying to recall "one play" which is always hard.

This would be a 'goal line' head on collision/tackle and I don't know the player's name or even the year but it was one of those 'never forget' (of course I recall it but not the facts). Giants at their goal line, opposing player started over right tackle and WHAMMO... the Giants (believe it was a linebacker) player met him about 1 ft behind the line of scrimmage head on and everyone heard the hit. The runner (who was a known guy) was stopped dead in his tracks and the Giants stopped the touchdown. This would have been 'before' the middle '70s I think. The player may have been Dryer but I recall the player was white, had a short name and might not have played too long for the Giants (which again might make it Dryer)... not much to go on but perhaps someone can recall that one play (out of so many)... thanks.
    [/quote]

While over the years I'm sure this has happened more than once (and despite your time line) it really sounds like you're describing SB21 (1987) when Banks stopped the Bronco's RB (Wilhite?) running left away from Taylor and Carson who had stopped them on 1st and 2nd down.

Banks shot across from the defensive left dropping Wilhite for a 2 yard loss, forcing the Broncos to kick a field goal (which Karlis would miss). This was at the end of the 2nd quarter.

Before 1980 you'd have to go back to the mid 60s before I can recall a meaningful play in a meaningful game (the stand and defiance play by Tittle in '63).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Sounds like a Gary Reasons play I remember..... From Wikipedia.

Reasons was also a part of two key plays during his career.[1][2] The first came during a critical late-season December 1989 game against the Denver Broncos at snowy Mile High Stadium. On fourth-and-goal from the Giants 1-yard line, John Elway handed off to Bobby Humphrey, who went airborne trying to break the plane of the goal line. But Reasons also went airborne; his hit sent Humphrey spinning backward like a helicopter. The Giants, propelled by an incredible 57-yard touchdown on a screen pass to speedy David Meggett on third-and-31, went on to win that game and the NFC East that season before falling to the Los Angeles Rams in the infamous Flipper Anderson game at Giants Stadium.

"KILL'EM ALL AND LET THE PARAMEDICS SORT'EM OUT!"

[quote user="FIFTY6G-MAN"]

Sounds like a Gary Reasons play I remember..... From Wikipedia.

Reasons was also a part of two key plays during his career.[1][2] The first came during a critical late-season December 1989 game against the Denver Broncos at snowy Mile High Stadium. On fourth-and-goal from the Giants 1-yard line, John Elway handed off to Bobby Humphrey, who went airborne trying to break the plane of the goal line. But Reasons also went airborne; his hit sent Humphrey spinning backward like a helicopter. The Giants, propelled by an incredible 57-yard touchdown on a screen pass to speedy David Meggett on third-and-31, went on to win that game and the NFC East that season before falling to the Los Angeles Rams in the infamous Flipper Anderson game at Giants Stadium.

[/quote]

Oh yeah that was monstrous!

Actually stuffed him in mid-air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehSmLq9J4yc
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Wasn't there also one by Carson in 1986 where on a goal-line stand he met the RB in the air and knocked his body horizontal and backwards?

I don't think it was the Reasons hit, the RB ran to the left and got hit in mid-air, layed out horzontal on his back and went backwards, it almost looked like a WWF move.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]Wasn't there also one by Carson in 1986 where on a goal-line stand he met the RB in the air and knocked his body horizontal and backwards?
    [/quote]here ya go......

Carson was the second-leading tackler on New York’s 1986 championship team, and made a memorable goal line stop early in Super Bowl XXI when he stuffed Denver’s Gerald Willhite for no gain.

Bench Player

Yes, the Reasons play was/is the closet to what I was 'recalling' (or trying to) and I won't say it was not. I recall the Banks play but I was sure the Giant's player was white in this particular incident and it was definitely over the right side. I had seen that exact video, outstanding impact and Madden loved it (as I did). Certainly could have been the one but somehow I did think it was earlier.

Not sure if today that would be a legal hit? I miss the impact of the older years but realize that guys were getting ruined for life sometimes and that is a sad deal. This would have been helmet to helmet, launching.

I was watching TV when Gifford was taken out by Chuck Bednarik and over the years including so many of Taylor's great hits (including the five or six replays on TV back when they "showed" you what happened instead of being scared to upset squeamish stomachs of Theismann's leg) have seen some great tackles. I shall ruminate upon the Reason's film and wonder. I went back through all the rosters from '78 down to '58 and could not pick out a name. Old I guess. Thanks VERY much!!!

Gary Reasons in the snow in Denver,LT WAS HURT!!! LOOK on u-tube Gary Reasons THE HIT!

[quote user="RogerDane"]Yes, the Reasons play was/is the closet to what I was 'recalling' (or trying to) and I won't say it was not. I recall the Banks play but I was sure the Giant's player was white in this particular incident and it was definitely over the right side. I had seen that exact video, outstanding impact and Madden loved it (as I did). Certainly could have been the one but somehow I did think it was earlier.
    I was watching TV when Gifford was taken out by Chuck Bednarik and over the years including so many of Taylor's great hits (including the five or six replays on TV back when they "showed" you what happened instead of being scared to upset squeamish stomachs of Theismann's leg) have seen some great tackles. I shall ruminate upon the Reason's film and wonder. I went back through all the rosters from '78 down to '58 and could not pick out a name. Old I guess. Thanks VERY much!!!
    [/quote]Yeah, I have watched the Giants games since 1985 when my uncle got me into them. I even met LT after i joined the militaryat soldier field back in 1993, I walked right out onto the field(4 hours prior to game) while he was still in street clothes standing in the endzon checking the field. WOW, i was literally speechless as i spoke with him.

Bench Player

Recall the fake punt?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IthfQ9qFZ_8

And "Little Davey Meggett run..." with Berman.

Thanks.