+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran

The Helmet Catch...can someone explain why we were "lucky"?

I really don't care that much, but it's just a pet peeve that everyone says we were lucky because of the Helmet Catch. I'll concede that it was a "lucky play" in the sense that we probably wouldn't be able to repeat it. But even if it fell incomplete, we have a manageable 4th and 5 that we've seen Eli convert countless times. And yes, he could have easily been sacked, but Eli has clearly shown more escapability than a lot of other QBs. Are we "lucky" because we have a QB who can evade sacks? And even if he did get sacked, we still have a shot even if its 4th and 17 or whatever.

Bottom line, it wasn't a do-or-die play, so how can people say we only won because of luck?

And especially coming from Pats fans. If it wasn't for the Tuck Rule, their 2001 season was over, and there's no denying that.

Re: The Helmet Catch...can someone explain why we were "lucky"?

LUCK is the residue of design!!

Oh goody, another thread on the definition of luck.

*claps excitedly*

P.S. - I'd say it was an amazing play not a lucky play.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

We got "lucky" that Harrison didnt knock it out of his hands... Should we win this Sunday, that "lucky" catch will not ever matter again...

I want to see Eli in a new system before I throw in the towel in him. (1-15-14)

*** OK I have seen it and I'm a bit worried *** (8-30-14)

***** I'm not so worried after all ***** (9-26-14)

Veteran

If tyree caught the ball backwards by it getting stuck in his shoulder pad...than i say it was lucky, but Tyree already made a catch like that before.

So no luck, I couldn't care less about what people say.

[quote user="Pakman"]If tyree caught the ball backwards by it getting stuck in his shoulder pad...than i say it was lucky, but Tyree already made a catch like that before. So no luck, I couldn't care less about what people say.[/quote]

Right or getting stuck in his facemank or something... Thats luck... He used his helmet like someone would use there chest... Its all good!!!

I want to see Eli in a new system before I throw in the towel in him. (1-15-14)

*** OK I have seen it and I'm a bit worried *** (8-30-14)

***** I'm not so worried after all ***** (9-26-14)

it's a perspective thing.

from a Patriots fan's perspective it was a lucky fluke.

from a Giants fan's perspective it was a great play.

same with Eli getting away to make that throw ;
    was that poor tackling or a great play by Eli ?
    when the aliens finally come to conquer us ....
    i hope that their weapons of choice are Gibsons and Fenders

not luck... eli broke a tackle, made a nice throw that went into the perfect spot as it landed in between 3 defenders and tyree made a great catch. It was an amazing play.

Is every amazing play "lucky"?

Veteran

[quote user="stormblue"]it's a perspective thing.

from a Patriots fan's perspective it was a lucky fluke.

from a Giants fan's perspective it was a great play.

same with Eli getting away to make that throw ;
    was that poor tackling or a great play by Eli ?[/quote]

Yeah, but I'd also say that it doesn't matter whether it was lucky or not, because it's technically not a play we needed to make to win. As long as it wasn't picked, we still have a good chance to win the game.

Bench Player

In any close game, you can easily find a dozen (if not more) plays where one team was "lucky" to have the outcome that it did. Furthermore, the nature of sporting contests is such that the plays at the end of the game will be focused on far more heavily than plays taking place in the fist 58 minutes.

Were the Steelers "lucky" with the Immaculate Reception? Were the 49ers "lucky" with the Dwight Clark catch? Were the Patriots "lucky" the Panthers kicked the ball out of bounds in Super Bowl 38, setting up a very short field to get that game winning FG? Were the 49ers "lucky" that the refs didn't call a blatant pass interference on that botched Giants FG attempt 8 years ago? Were the Giants "lucky" the football hit a punt returner's knee 2 weeks ago?