+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cowherd's take on the game.

Basically he was leaning towards the Giants but then he pointed out that Vegas odds are what they are for a reason and that Vegas has won 19 out of last 21 Super Bowls so he has now flip flopped and taking the points.

He has also said that Giants defense may be over-rated by saying the Jets were a locker-room mess, Dallas was no good (Yeah that's what he said), Green Bay didn't play since Christmas, and 49ers has a game manager playing QB. Of course he has conveniently left out Atlanta which totally ruins his argument.

I'm not too concerned about his reasons on how the defense may be over-rated, but I sort of am curious of the Vegas odds history, if they are so good at picking the winner then there may be a good cause for a real concern as to why Vegas is picking the Patriots, and maybe Giants are not as clear-cut favorite that most Giants fans think they are.

Anybody with a good knowledge on the gambling scene have any input to add?

Re: Cowherd's take on the game.

Didn't Vegas pick the Patriots in Feb 2008?

But yet when Alex Smith beat New Orleans he was the 2nd coming of Christ? Double standards these days. ESPECIALLY at BSPN

[quote user="NYBlue10"]Basically he was leaning towards the Giants but then he pointed out that Vegas odds are what they are for a reason and that Vegas has won 19 out of last 21 Super Bowls so he has now flip flopped and taking the points.

He has also said that Giants defense may be over-rated by saying the Jets were a locker-room mess, Dallas was no good (Yeah that's what he said), Green Bay didn't play since Christmas, and 49ers has a game manager playing QB. Of course he has conveniently left out Atlanta which totally ruins his argument.

I'm not too concerned about his reasons on how the defense may be over-rated, but I sort of am curious of the Vegas odds history, if they are so good at picking the winner then there may be a good cause for a real concern as to why Vegas is picking the Patriots, and maybe Giants are not as clear-cut favorite that most Giants fans think they are.

Anybody with a good knowledge on the gambling scene have any input to add?[/quote]

I find that hard to believe. The Giants for sure weren't favored in 2007 against the Pats. I'm sure the Pats weren't favored in 2000 against the Rams. I doubt the Broncos were favored in 1997 against the Packers. Oakland was favored by four points against the Bucs. Were the Packers even favored last year?

He's not saying Vegas was right, he's saying they won money. If everybody took the Patriots -10 against us, Vegas was wrong but very rich.

Vegas is picking against the Giants, but I'm not. 19 for 21 ain't perfect and the Giants were one of those flys in the ointment. Pat should be favored -- they were 13-3 with TB, BB, and 3 SB championships. But we're the better team, now. Plain and simple.

[quote user="BigBlue2010"]He's not saying Vegas was right, he's saying they won money. If everybody took the Patriots -10 against us, Vegas was wrong but very rich.[/quote]

Oh yeah, true.

[quote user="NYBlue10"]Basically he was leaning towards the Giants but then he pointed out that Vegas odds are what they are for a reason and that Vegas has won 19 out of last 21 Super Bowls so he has now flip flopped and taking the points. He has also said that Giants defense may be over-rated by saying the Jets were a locker-room mess, Dallas was no good (Yeah that's what he said), Green Bay didn't play since Christmas, and 49ers has a game manager playing QB. Of course he has conveniently left out Atlanta which totally ruins his argument. I'm not too concerned about his reasons on how the defense may be over-rated, but I sort of am curious of the Vegas odds history, if they are so good at picking the winner then there may be a good cause for a real concern as to why Vegas is picking the Patriots, and maybe Giants are not as clear-cut favorite that most Giants fans think they are. Anybody with a good knowledge on the gambling scene have any input to add?[/quote]Are you saying that the favorite won 19 of 21 Super Bowls's ?
    Engage brain before speaking.

Bench Player

Cowherd's a fool.

Giants' D isn't overrated in the sense that it's all about matchups. Brady is skittish under pressure and if the Pats Oline can't block the Giants' rush then he'll get trucked.

On the other hand, if the Giants can't get pressure on Brady he'll likely torch their secondary.

Bench Player

I think "vegas has been right 19/21" is incorrect. I bet on most super bowls, and I clearly remember some recent underdogs who won:

1) Patriots (when they upset Rams) - huge underdog

2) Giants 2007 - big underdog

3) Saints 2010 - slight underdog

So I count at least 3 (not 2) that vegas was incorrect. And I'm only going back 10 yrs.