+ Reply to Thread

PreGame Mentality Eli vs Tom

I personally this could be a huge factor. leading up to the game, we as fans are pretty damn nervous/excited/pumped.
    Imagine how the two linchpins of each franchise is right now. Im not trying to say Brady is off ready to jump off a ledge. I'm merely saying between the two, who do you think might have an advantage?

Part of this is Tom has played in several super bowls. but does that mean it gives his mind a break? i'd imagine every super bowl would feel independent of another and it'd be a seriously almost over whelming thing. lets put it this way, i don't think losing the SB in 07 is more of an advantage to brady then eli winning it in 07.

I think that at the core of each person their is a different mentality hardwired in. I see Eli honestly just being as he was preseason week 2, where I could see Brady being pumped up, almost anxious and revved up like he shows on the field.

But is that a negative or really a positive for tom? i'd imagine you'd want to have the emotions flowing to give you a sense of the enormity of the game. i dont know if being even keeled as eli certainly is to a larger extent than tom, would be better? i think the SB needs to be felt like "my gosh, we made it. i'm going to absolutely kill it sunday. i'm going to destroy them" while being revved up. but i'd also think that you'd want to not change the routine, keep the same habits that got you there. and yes it is the super bowl, but its still a football game. the field doesn't go to 200 yards, the clock doesn't go to 20 min a quarter...ya know?

who do you think would have the better pregame mentality for a game of this magnitude?

spare me if you feel this question doesn't matter, ok cool. I do think things like this play a part in performance so that's what I'd like to focus on, not whether or not that it matters.
    "The OL is good enough for most of Eli's supposed peers..."

Re: PreGame Mentality Eli vs Tom

I don't think either one approaches a game the way fans do. They are both focused on the task at hand.....this game will be won in the trenches.

i dont know which one will be the more mentally fit!

i do think Eli has had the tougher road to the superbowl!

that combined with his already "low key" approach to this and any game gives him the edge in mental toughness imo.

[quote user="BigBlue1971"]

i dont know which one will be the more mentally fit!

i do think Eli has had the tougher road to the superbowl!

that combined with his already "low key" approach to this and any game gives him the edge in mental toughness imo.

[/quote]

thats what i'd expect as well. i want to give the edge to eli, but then part of me feels like "don't be a homer" brady has been here twice as much as eli, and the familiarity of a game of this magnitude has to be a factor. but then i think of what eli faced in 07 being given absolutely no shot and how that had to have mentally hardened him in a much diff way than brady had faced since HIS first super bowl.

u also have to factor in i think eli being able to help lead the giants to a win even tho he didn't play well imo. the redzone pick and first 2 and a half quarters were badly average imo, and brady played poorly too but the 4th both turned it on and eli outlasted tom.

plus the win in 07. i am trying to be objective when i say that i feel eli's personality, plus previous success has to be an advantage. brady has to deal with "we haven't beaten them the past two meaningful games, one of them a super bowl, and i got blasted by their DL AND eli led gw drives" and feel like he might have to do more for his team to win, which could result in costly mistakes.
    "The OL is good enough for most of Eli's supposed peers..."

they both have superior mental fitness when it comes to big games and game pressure. They are similar in that aspect.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch