+ Reply to Thread

Plax: With win, Eli is a HOFer

Plaxico Burress said that if the Giants win the Super Bowl tomorrow, then Eli Manning is a Hall of Famer.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...super-bowl-win

I'm not so sure that's true. If the Giants win and then Eli retires on Monday (which I highly doubt), then I don't think he makes the Hall of Fame. If the Giants win, I think he needs to play for 3-4 more years at the level that he has been playing at for the past few to make the Hall of Fame (which I'm sure he will). If the Giants lose, I think he needs to match that level for another 5-7 years. Of the 10 QBs with 2 or more Super Bowl rings as starters, 7 are in the Hall of Fame, 2 are active (Brady and Roethlisberger) and 1 is not in the Hall (Jim Plunkett).

Also, I think a Giants win will make Coughlin a Hall of Famer, even if he retires Monday (which, again, I doubt will happen). Of the 12 coaches with 2 or more SB wins, 6 are in the Hall of Fame, 1 is not yet eligible (Bill Parcells who is expected to be inducted this year), 2 are active (Belichick and Shanahan), and 3 are not in the Hall (Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, and George Seifert). Even though a win will only make him 2-0 (the only 2-0 coach in the Hall is Lombardi), I think Coughlin makes it because he took the expansion Jaguars to 2 AFC title games and has more regular season wins than any of those 3 guys not in the Hall. I'm not sure what a loss would do for Coughlin's legacy.

Veteran

Re: Plax: With win, Eli is a HOFer

I think what people mean who say that Eli is a lock if they win is that they expect him to play for a few more years and not have a big drop off in stats. Plunkett is hurt by his poor pre raiders stats which drag down his career numbers. He had 34 more picks than TDs and some seasons he didn't have above a 50% completion rate. Outside of Eli's rookie year he's always had more TDs than INT's and completed more than 50% of his passes. Not by huge margins to be sure, but he's on the positive side of the stats. Yardage you can't compare because of the times and Plunkett playing in 14 game seasons. Also unlike Eli, Plunkett does not seem to have the same start streak that Eli has.
    So if Eli ONLY wins tomorrow, but doesn't play so long to see his stats go completely down hill, he should be a lock for the Hall of Fame. It also helps that Eli's demeanor, while not one that will bring views to an interview is one that the sports media likes.

All of this will take care of itself.

[quote user="Giants10Joe"]Plaxico Burress said that if the Giants win the Super Bowl tomorrow, then Eli Manning is a Hall of Famer.
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...super-bowl-win

I'm not so sure that's true. If the Giants win and then Eli retires on Monday (which I highly doubt), then I don't think he makes the Hall of Fame. If the Giants win, I think he needs to play for 3-4 more years at the level that he has been playing at for the past few to make the Hall of Fame (which I'm sure he will). If the Giants lose, I think he needs to match that level for another 5-7 years. Of the 10 QBs with 2 or more Super Bowl rings as starters, 7 are in the Hall of Fame, 2 are active (Brady and Roethlisberger) and 1 is not in the Hall (Jim Plunkett).

Also, I think a Giants win will make Coughlin a Hall of Famer, even if he retires Monday (which, again, I doubt will happen). Of the 12 coaches with 2 or more SB wins, 6 are in the Hall of Fame, 1 is not yet eligible (Bill Parcells who is expected to be inducted this year), 2 are active (Belichick and Shanahan), and 3 are not in the Hall (Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, and George Seifert). Even though a win will only make him 2-0 (the only 2-0 coach in the Hall is Lombardi), I think Coughlin makes it because he took the expansion Jaguars to 2 AFC title games and has more regular season wins than any of those 3 guys not in the Hall. I'm not sure what a loss would do for Coughlin's legacy.
    [/quote]

I agree with you totally.
    "In Reese, We No Longer Trust"

Bench Player

How does Plax even know about the HOF?! That's the real question?

Veteran

[quote user="TrickAssP"]How does Plax even know about the HOF?! That's the real question?
    [/quote]

They show NFL Films videos in prison apparently.

[quote user="TrickAssP"]How does Plax even know about the HOF?! That's the real question?
    [/quote]

Maybe the bullet that killed the Giants' chances to repeat is on display in the HOF?

Veteran

[quote user="Giants10Joe"][quote user="TrickAssP"]How does Plax even know about the HOF?! That's the real question?
    [/quote]

Maybe the bullet that killed the Giants' chances to repeat is on display in the HOF?
    [/quote]

Your exaggerating but his prison jumpsuit is in Canton.