+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran

7 SBs & 11 AFCCGs in 16yrs, is the AFC that bad?

As I watch NE getting ready to go to their 7th SB since 2001 & having played in their 11th AFCCG & NFL record 6th straight app, I have to ask, is it that the AFC is that much of a weaker conference with less quality QBs or are the Patriots that damn good? Since 2001, only 5 AFC QBs have started a SB & 3 of them account for 14 of the 16 SBs:

Tom Brady-7 SB app
    Peyton Manning-4 SB app
    Ben Roethlisberger-3 SB app
    Rich Gannon-1 SB app
    Joe Flacco-1 SB app

Why have the Patriots totally dominated the AFC since 2001? Is it just because of Belichick/Brady only? NE is 9-3 vs Pittsburgh since 2001, so we can eliminate the Steelers as a constant threat to NE these past 16yrs. In their 11 AFCCG app, Only the Colts/Broncos & Ravens have stopped NE from going to 11 SBs in the B&B era!. Peyton being the main threat to B&B, beating them 3x in the AFCCG as a member of the Colts/Broncos in 2006-2013-2015 & Flacco & the Ravens beat NE in the AFCCG in 2012. The Jets are the only other team to hand NE a playoff loss in the B&B era with a win in the 2010 div rd. And of course our Giants have kept B&B having 6 SB rings.

So has NE been just lucky to play in a weaker conference with less quality QBs since 2001 or would they have been just as dominant playing in the NFC?
    Last edited by Parademon1; 01-22-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Belichick.

Brady is a great QB, but Belichick is the mastermind. Look at the team. Every single player on the team could get traded or injured and the backups can come in and win. Its mind boggling.
    They are the definition of TEAM and it starts with Bill. Brady out? No problem, we have a backup QB who can win. Gronk gone? No issue. Little white replacable WRs? Rotating OL? Trading off DL players for popcorn? It just doesnt matter.

He is the greatest HC this game has ever seen. Not to mention a hell of a Dc for us.

Veteran
    I agree about Belichick & it saddens me that then GM at the time, George Young stupidly picked Ray Handley over BB to be HC of the Giants after the 90' SB. I think the Giants woulda been the Pats of the NFC had BB been our HC. But I also think the AFC as a whole , has been a bad conference during the 16yr period of domination that NE has had. The entire AFCE has been pathetic as far as quality teams & QBs to rival NE. That this team has won the AFCE 14x in the past 16yrs, has played in 11 AFCCGs & now 7 SBs in that time period is unbelievable!

Atlanta will be the 3rd "bird" team to try & beat NE in the SB, the 1st 2, Eagles/Seahawks failed. Let's hope the Falcons break that streak.

People say that Bill can win without Brady but I don't agree. Sure regular season games but come playoff time, you need #12 behind center. Bill is the mastermind but he wouldn't be one without Brady.

Put Brady on another team he would still be the goat. The man is just talented and the fact that he is going to be 40 in August and still playing at a high level is incredible.

To answer the question, it's both. The AFC is just a weak conference. All the great QB's are in the NFC while in the AFC it's just Brady and then Big Ben. They are talented. Those 2 have the great playoff experience and have succeeded when they needed to step up big. You need a franchise QB to win championships in this league and Tom Brady is that.

The Patriots have a great system in place for continuous success in a weak conference. Perfect timing.

Veteran
    So you think that when Brady does hang em up, that NE will still continue to be a dominant team in the AFC Garoppolo at QB? Or does Belichick have to be the HC as well? Will NE be a contender once B&B are gone?

Patriots fans have to be the most spoiled fans in the NFL these past 16yrs. I just wonder how many of them were fans during the lean yrs in NE or are the majority fans since 2001? I've been with the Giants since the "fumble" vs Philly season, so no one can ever accuse me of being a bandwagon Giants fan. I really feel for those of you that were Giants fans during the "17yr drought" from 64'-80'. I dealt with the last 3 yrs of the 70s, I'm just glad I was too young to have endured the entire 70s.
    Last edited by Parademon1; 01-23-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBookOfEli View Post
    People say that Bill can win without Brady but I don't agree. Sure regular season games but come playoff time, you need #12 behind center. Bill is the mastermind but he wouldn't be one without Brady.

Put Brady on another team he would still be the goat. The man is just talented and the fact that he is going to be 40 in August and still playing at a high level is incredible.

To answer the question, it's both. The AFC is just a weak conference. All the great QB's are in the NFC while in the AFC it's just Brady and then Big Ben. They are talented. Those 2 have the great playoff experience and have succeeded when they needed to step up big. You need a franchise QB to win championships in this league and Tom Brady is that.

The Patriots have a great system in place for continuous success in a weak conference. Perfect timing.
    If Bill retires right now, Brady would not be the same QB. Not even close. Do you see the types of plays he has in his arsonal? Belichick is a mastermind. He prepares the team and turns an average Kevin Hogan into a star. Remember, Belichick is so good he had the Cleveland Browns looking like a good team. In fact he is the last coach to get them to the playoffs. Without Brady! I really don't think there would be much of a drop off from Brady to Garappollo. Maybe the experience would hurt however. Brady is one of the greats at QB but it's mainly because he was schooled to be that way. He is a product of Belichick. That's not a bad thing though. I just feel if you separate the 2 that Bill could turn the Jets into the next dynasty and find the next Brady. And Brady on the Jets without Bill would fail miserably.

Veteran
    Either way, the AFC for the most part has been a weak conference during the B&B era, especially the AFCE. If I'm a Jets/Bills/fish fan, I would not be bragging to much once they win the div w/o Brady playing behind center for NE. None of those 3 teams was ever good enough to beat Brady in 16yrs. I believe NE has not been swept in that div since 2000. Buffalo alone has been NE/Brady's main kicking post. NE has won 28 of 32 meetings since Brady became the starter in 2001. Total dominance over 1 team the likes of which I've never seen in my time as a football fan. Bills fans must really hate NE with a passion, more so than NY/Mia Fans. And we think we have had it bad vs Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Parademon1 View Post
    Either way, the AFC for the most part has been a weak conference during the B&B era, especially the AFCE. If I'm a Jets/Bills/fish fan, I would not be bragging to much once they win the div w/o Brady playing behind center for NE. None of those 3 teams was ever good enough to beat Brady in 16yrs. I believe NE has not been swept in that div since 2000. Buffalo alone has been NE/Brady's main kicking post. NE has won 28 of 32 meetings since Brady became the starter in 2001. Total dominance over 1 team the likes of which I've never seen in my time as a football fan. Bills fans must really hate NE with a passion, more so than NY/Mia Fans. And we think we have had it bad vs Philly.
    Pittsburgh 2x, Denver 2x, Indy 2x, Baltimore. Besides the Pats (7x), that was it. 5 teams total. Those have been the only SB teams out of the AFC.
    Meanwhile the NFC just put in their 12th different team in 16 years to the SB. Giants, Panthers got there twice. Seattle 3 x. Rams Bucs Eagles Bears Cards Saints Packers 49ers and now Atlanta all once.

AFC is 9-6 the past 15 years.

Veteran
    NE/Pitt have 6 of the 9 wins with Den/Colts/Ravens getting the other 3. After Brady & Big Ben hang em up, I really don't see a clear cut AFC team becoming the dominant team in that conference. Maybe if the Colts fix their team around Luck, they could go on a run as he would be the best QB in the AFC after Brady/Ben retire.

this year the afc was that bad and if derek carr didnt break his ankle a week before the playoffs, we could be talking about a whole different super bowl.

just for the record, im not trying to take anything away from brady/belichick, but they have been very fortunate when it comes to playoffs/super bowls. people talk about how lucky eli was to get 2 rings, uh does anybody remember the most bogus call in football history that went new englands way in the 2001 playoffs?

1. the tuck rule game(that was a fumble, i don't care what the rule book said at the time)
    2. carolina tying the game and getting momentum and to have it sucked out by a kick off going out of bounds and putting the pats in great position for the best kicker ever.
    3. pete carol brainfart.

just off the top of my head. they're lucky they have 2 rings let alone going for 5