+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: 7 SBs & 11 AFCCGs in 16yrs, is the AFC that bad?

  1. #31
    All-Pro TheAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Original Member since 04-04-04
    Posts
    25,036
    Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    who's dumb enough to believe that comeback was real? not me.
    right? only the best of the best make the league but only one team dominates? when are going to grow up and realize its entertainment?
    I think the NFL wants certain outcomes and the refs are "nudged" a certain way, but the events still need to fall into place. If the NFL wanted the Patriots to win, there is no way they would spot Atlanta a 25 point lead. That pick 6 Brady threw would have had a holding call or something to bring it back.

  2. #32
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I think the NFL wants certain outcomes and the refs are "nudged" a certain way, but the events still need to fall into place. If the NFL wanted the Patriots to win, there is no way they would spot Atlanta a 25 point lead. That pick 6 Brady threw would have had a holding call or something to bring it back.
    I don’t even think it’s ‘nudged’.

    If it were, the Cowboys would not be in the midst of a 21 yr SB appearance drought and the refs would have immense bargaining power over the league, which they clearly do not.

    There was a great study done about coaches “working the refs” and there being a strong correlation with calls going in favor of the sideline the ref is standing on.

    In short, the point is refs are human. They try their best to call fair games, but they’re human. They make mistakes and are also not impervious to intimidation.

  3. #33
    All-Pro TheAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Original Member since 04-04-04
    Posts
    25,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    I don’t even think it’s ‘nudged’.

    If it were, the Cowboys would not be in the midst of a 21 yr SB appearance drought and the refs would have immense bargaining power over the league, which they clearly do not.

    There was a great study done about coaches “working the refs” and there being a strong correlation with calls going in favor of the sideline the ref is standing on.

    In short, the point is refs are human. They try their best to call fair games, but they’re human. They make mistakes and are also not impervious to intimidation.
    You have to admit, there are some teams who always seem to get the calls in their favor more than others. And there are QBs who get preferential treatment which could be the NFL "nudging" the game in a certain way. Or the ref could of had his buddy Johnny Vegas drop some coin on a certain team behind closed doors. Who friggen knows. But IMO, the game is not 100% clean the way it is called.

  4. #34
    All-Pro
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    There was a great study done about coaches “working the refs” and there being a strong correlation with calls going in favor of the sideline the ref is standing on.
    Can you provide a link for that study?

  5. #35
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
    Can you provide a link for that study?
    Here ya go pal

  6. #36
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    You have to admit, there are some teams who always seem to get the calls in their favor more than others. And there are QBs who get preferential treatment which could be the NFL "nudging" the game in a certain way. Or the ref could of had his buddy Johnny Vegas drop some coin on a certain team behind closed doors. Who friggen knows. But IMO, the game is not 100% clean the way it is called.
    As far as the team thing goes, that’s mostly just a bias view point along the lines of a “my team never gets calls” kind of thing. When in reality fans just notice calls that hurt their team more.

    That’s a natural reaction from invested fans, because bad calls can definitely hurt your team and sometimes games DO have lopsided officiating. But it’s just conjecture to try and draw a link to a larger agenda from the league like Ram suggests.

    No team enjoys additional aid from refs and the best way to view this is by taking a macro look at micro data—like looking at year to year, per play penalty data.

    On a per play basis, ALL teams benefit from calls between 2.5 and 4.5% of ALL plays.

    There are some outliers, but that range is pretty consistent on a year to year basis.

    What isn’t consistent is where a given team will fall in that range on a year to year basis.

    For example I’ve included how the Cowboys and Giants ranked in the league over the last 3 years.

    2016
    Cowboys 2nd
    Giants 10th

    2015
    Cowboys 25th
    Giants 22nd

    2014
    Cowboys 22nd
    Giants 14th

    There aren’t really any conclusions that I can draw based on those figures. And that’s what’s important. There’s not really a correlation for teams and the penalties they receive or draw to suggest an agenda.


    Now when talking about personnel receiving penalties more often, that’s a different story. But that’s such a case by case, nebulous topic that it’s pretty hard to address in a single post.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I think the NFL wants certain outcomes and the refs are "nudged" a certain way, but the events still need to fall into place. If the NFL wanted the Patriots to win, there is no way they would spot Atlanta a 25 point lead. That pick 6 Brady threw would have had a holding call or something to bring it back.
    ((NFL wanted the Patriots to win, there is no way they would spot Atlanta a 25 point lead. ))

    oh no? a billion dollar organization wouldnt possibly know how to put on a show? you believed the impossible happening over and over and over so obviously it works.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntegrase96 View Post
    I don’t even think it’s ‘nudged’.

    If it were, the Cowboys would not be in the midst of a 21 yr SB appearance drought and the refs would have immense bargaining power over the league, which they clearly do not.

    There was a great study done about coaches “working the refs” and there being a strong correlation with calls going in favor of the sideline the ref is standing on.

    In short, the point is refs are human. They try their best to call fair games, but they’re human. They make mistakes and are also not impervious to intimidation.
    lol another one who thinks in order for it to be staged,they can only do it in a way that would seem obvious to your simpleton viewpoint.
    Theres more than one variable going on here. fact is, Cowboys and Giants still constantly make playoffs whether they win first round or not.


    ((There was a great study done about coaches “working the refs” and there being a strong correlation with calls going in favor of the sideline the ref is standing on.))

    thats called propaganda,its called; you believe everything you read. home teams win because its better for profit.Simple
    Last edited by ram29jackson; 02-17-2017 at 07:05 AM.

  9. #39
    All-Pro TheAnalyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Original Member since 04-04-04
    Posts
    25,036
    Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    ((NFL wanted the Patriots to win, there is no way they would spot Atlanta a 25 point lead. ))

    oh no? a billion dollar organization wouldnt possibly know how to put on a show? you believed the impossible happening over and over and over so obviously it works.
    Wow. Im all about conspiracies, and believe there is fishy stuff going on in this world, and believe the NFL loves to entertain rather than be 100% legit, but this comment is ridiculous. Why would the NFL want Tom Brady and the Pats of all people to win another SB after the whole deflategate saga?

  10. #40
    Veteran Ntegrase96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,254
    Quote Originally Posted by ram29jackson View Post
    lol another one who thinks in order for it to be staged,they can only do it in a way that would seem obvious to your simpleton viewpoint.
    Theres more than one variable going on here. fact is, Cowboys and Giants still constantly make playoffs whether they win first round or not.


    ((There was a great study done about coaches “working the refs” and there being a strong correlation with calls going in favor of the sideline the ref is standing on.))

    thats called propaganda,its called; you believe everything you read. home teams win because its better for profit.Simple

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts