+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by speedman View Post
    It's all about the money. If the game is slow and boring people don't watch it.
    It is always about the money, but making drastic changes to it is a huge risk. If they truly want to make more money and attract younger viewers, they simply need to market the game a hell lot better than they are right now, especially towards minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Or, if you dont want to watch a game because its long and "boring you", turn it off and fly a kite.

You cant mess with rules like this. It would be like a completely new game, and personally, I would probably stop watching all together. Im a huge baseball fan, so this crap really is annoying. The game is fine. You dont need to change it to fit the ADD generation. Do you see golf changing their rules because it is slow and "boring"? No. It is what it is. There should never be a runner (s) on base to start an inning to make it end faster. Thats stupid
    Agreed - does that placed baserunner get an improved OBP, or credit for stealing a base? Why not just the old "invisible man on second"?

Quote Originally Posted by SG88 View Post
    I respectfully disagree about a home run derby. I think that shortening the season would be more beneficial to the fans and the players. I would go as low as 120 games. Get rid of interleague games and shorten the divisional games from 19 to 14. Long extra inning games are just baseball. They don't happen often enough IMO to warrant drastic changes.
    Was kinda half kidding on that. But hockey has a shootout. Soccor has free kicks, or something like that. Newer fans or those wanting to go out with a bang would probably love it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmie ray View Post
    Was kinda half kidding on that. But hockey has a shootout. Soccor has free kicks, or something like that. Newer fans or those wanting to go out with a bang would probably love it.
    Maybe they should just have a wheel barrel race from home to home after spinning around on a bat. That would be fun to watch too.....

Leave the HR derby for the All star stretch. Hockey and Soccer are the least watched and paid sports for a reason here. Imagine a FG contest to end an NFL game? Or a 3 pt contest to end a basketball game? nah. Baseball is different. The only major sport without time. The only sport where the defense has the ball. The only sport that has no defined or uniform dimensions on its fields.
    Spin that Webb young Davis

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    The only sport that has no defined or uniform dimensions on its fields.
    Golf?

Quote Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
    Golf?
    Talking about the 5 major sports. Also Golf is more a hobby than sport. Any activity where drinking a few beers helps is not a real sport lol. Golf, darts, bowling, pool, Wiffle ball....

Don't get me wrong though, I love golf as frustrating as it is.

Ok changes I'm ok with to speed up the game:

Batter in the box has to be ready. No more 20 seconds of adjusting his crotch and gloves. When the ump says get in the box, the pitcher can throw a pitch even if batter not ready.
    2 minute limit between innings. No more lolly gagging by the defense. Get your 5 warm up pitches in. Once the ump gives the call and it's time to pitch you must get in the wind up.
    Relief pitchers to face a minimum of 3 batters unless injury. If pulled out for "injury" he can not play the following 3 games. This will prevent fake injuries.

Maybe something they should do to fix the time issue is stop with the commercials every pitching change or end of a half inning. Won't happen, but they are being hypocritical there.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SG88 View Post
    I agree with most of what you are saying. I would not mind a reliever having to face at least 3 batters before coming out. The whole lefty righty match up them just to get through one late inning is brutal for most watchers. I don't mind it, but I do hear the complaints when watching the games at a bar or restaurant.
    Don't think you would even need to make it 3 batters, 2 would do. The reality is most mangers purposely try and set up their lineups L-R-L to try and force the opposition to burn through relievers trying to get a better matchup.

Was listening to Francessa talk to Manfred in a really long good interview a few weeks ago, and Manfred said they were talking about a lot of things, one of which was limiting the overall number of pitchers allowed in a game. Kind of like timeouts in the NFL, you have to use them when you really need them. Don't think that is the way to go, but maybe just having a rule that if you pull a pitcher before he completes 2 at bats the next pitcher gets no warmup on the mound. Its not about ruining the strategic aspect of game, but just speeding it up a bit.

Mike also asked Manfred about the infield shifts (which I hate). Manfred was kind of non-committal about that, but said it was part of the discussions. He also said that players would adapt to the shift by learning to hit it the other way, but I think that's not very realistic.

I don't care about the infield shift. Doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is a hitter who declines to accept the free base hit handed to them with a nubber down the 3rd base line. Yeah, I'm looking at you Tex.

They would rather hit that HR once out of 15-20 ABs than get a single in 9 out of 10 tries. Do it enough and they would adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by DandyDon View Post
    Don't think you would even need to make it 3 batters, 2 would do. The reality is most mangers purposely try and set up their lineups L-R-L to try and force the opposition to burn through relievers trying to get a better matchup.

Was listening to Francessa talk to Manfred in a really long good interview a few weeks ago, and Manfred said they were talking about a lot of things, one of which was limiting the overall number of pitchers allowed in a game. Kind of like timeouts in the NFL, you have to use them when you really need them. Don't think that is the way to go, but maybe just having a rule that if you pull a pitcher before he completes 2 at bats the next pitcher gets no warmup on the mound. Its not about ruining the strategic aspect of game, but just speeding it up a bit.

Mike also asked Manfred about the infield shifts (which I hate). Manfred was kind of non-committal about that, but said it was part of the discussions. He also said that players would adapt to the shift by learning to hit it the other way, but I think that's not very realistic.

As much as we may hate the shift, they could never make it illegal. It's smart baseball strategy if you scout the opposition and do your homework.

As far as this limiting the number of pitchers in a game or making less pitching changes, that would be insane.
    [img]http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r714/darksaint2/P1250543_zpsflsphdcl.jpg[/img