+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Anyone Else Disappointed In The Giants Free Agency?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Yen View Post
    I realize we don't have a lot of cap space but yes our free agency has been disappointing this off season. we still don't have a back up QB or a field goal kicker.
    Season over?

Quote Originally Posted by free agent View Post
    Brandon Marshall is probably too old. Terrelle Pryor would have
    been better for one-year contract.
    Rhett Ellison might be a good blocker, but the Giants
    need a big play tight end.
    DJ Fluker was basically let go by the Chargers, so how
    much better is he than Marshall at OT?
    John Jerry at OG for 3 yrs?Really?Giants could
    not do better than him in free agency?
    Where is the upgrade at RB? Shane Vereen?
    So will Ereck Flowers be the left tackle when season begins?
    Hope not!
    I wasnt a huge fan of the Marshall contract, but it was a decent move, Pryor would have been too expensive and we dont have the cap space

We got Rhett to block, not catch, plain and simple

Marshall was let go by us, so how much better is he than Fluker?? See, your logic isnt too sound. Fluker is only 25, was a top 15 draft pick, so he has some talent we just have to tap into it

John Jerry is a good backup, and I wouldnt mind him coming off the bench for the next 3 yrs. As a starter Im not a fan, but he's a good bench player. Could we have done better? Maybe, but we would have been paying alot for it, Zietler signed a HUGE deal and Warford signed a big deal too. Are you ready to pay 1 of those guys close to 10mil per year??

The upgrade at RB will be Perkins having another year under his belt. I dont know how much money you thought we had to spend in FA, but it was next to nothing. There are a bunch of good RBs in the draft that would be great compliment backs to pair with Perkins like Samaje Perine or D'Onta Foreman

Will Ereck Flowers be the LT when the season starts?? Id put my money on it. There were no good options at LT this offseason, and not really any good options in the draft either. Sometimes you have to play the hand you were delt and hope for better cards next offseason
    1st- OJ Howard, TE
    2nd- Caleb Brantley, DT
    3rd- Dorian Johnson, OG/RT
    4th- Samaje Perine, RB
    5th- Damontae Kazee, CB
    6th- Ejuan Price, DE/OLB
    7th- Tedric Thompson, FS

Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike357 View Post
    As difficult as it is to find a single quality OT in free agency and you wanted two of them? At least you acknowledge the cap held us back.
    Yes. If you could upgrade both OT positions, wouldn't you? I definitely would have settled for one, but why not both, if possible?

Quote Originally Posted by free agent View Post
    Brandon Marshall is probably too old. Terrelle Pryor would have
    been better for one-year contract.
    Rhett Ellison might be a good blocker, but the Giants
    need a big play tight end.
    DJ Fluker was basically let go by the Chargers, so how
    much better is he than Marshall at OT?
    John Jerry at OG for 3 yrs?Really?Giants could
    not do better than him in free agency?
    Where is the upgrade at RB? Shane Vereen?
    So will Ereck Flowers be the left tackle when season begins?
    Hope not!
    I would say I am fairly happy with the results of free agency to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by gibril28wilson View Post
    the "he got release by another team so he must suck" argument is ridic. I mean yeah it obviously is true some of the time. But also some of the time it's not true. It goes both ways so saying it as an argument for either side is just dumb.

idk if Fluker will be good or not, but based on his contract and the potential reward, on top of what every other OL got this FA, plus the Giants cap space. Fluker makes a ton of sense.

Bmarsh is on a 1 year deal pretty much, if the Giants cut Bmarsh after this year they would save $5.5M, so it's essentially a 1 year deal for Bmarsh based on his perfromance. And his cap hit for this year is only $4.5M. Meanwhile Pryor's 1 year deal costs $6M this year. Pryor has 1 year as a good WR plus has beefed with one of our own CBs (Janoris Jenkins), while Marshall has a ton of experience in the league and has been dominant for most of his career. Bmarsh is also a very good run blocker. Bmarsh makes a ton of sense both for team chemistry and financially.

Ellison is a good blocker like you said. But also you gotta realize 1, There's still the draft LOADED with big play TEs. and 2, that Reese has never valued TE high so he may actually ride out with Ellison as TE1 if the draft doesnt fall in favor of a TE for us. He may have faith in Adams and Ellison combined. Cant hate on the Ellison signing because he gives us a major thing the Giants lacked last year. a TE and a FB that can block.

Jerry signed for 3 years but for $4.25M guaranteed. He can be cut pretty much at any time after this year and is no big deal. Plus he's depth if we dont find anyone better. It's always better to be safe than sorry, esp on a cheap deal like that. He can compete with Fluker and Jerry and possibly even a rookie for a starting spot this year, and if he doesnt win at least we have someone who started 41 games for us the last 3 years as depth that can come in if there was an injury.

RB they can still upgrade via the draft, and i think it's highly likely they will. Giants already have Perkins who showed us something last year and Vereen who people forget had 59 catches and 760 total yards in 2015 and was a big part of this offense out of the back field as a receiving threat. They add a big power type back in the draft and the back field is set for a few years to come.

Who would you of liked to replace Flowers? Would of of overpaid for a 36 year old? How about a 4yr $53M contract to someone whos only marginally better than Flowers but 7 years older than Flowers? As much as he sucked last year and he may potentially suck still this year, there's just simply no better options. Why not gamble on the 23 year old putting it all together in his 3rd year instead of overpaying for someone who costs a ton and would handcuff the rest of the teams moves?

The Giants moves all made sense this offseason. Theyve added people in FA with limited cap money that can help the team improve this year. They didnt really lose anyone from the 11-5 team of last year and have only improved on the offense.

The Giants may not of done what you wanted or what every fan wanted to do, but how the attacked FA and what they did made plenty of sense for how they were set up in the cap, how the market played, and the team structure.
    Exactly, well stated.

Quote Originally Posted by steve84 View Post
    Yes. If you could upgrade both OT positions, wouldn't you? I definitely would have settled for one, but why not both, if possible?
    Sure, I would have liked us to sign Hall of Fame talent across the board; just can't happen. I guess I should not have said "you wanted two" and instead said "you expected two" lol.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (75) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (43) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

+ Reply to Thread