+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do We Draft.... A Kicker?!?!?

Ok hear me out, wouldnt it be nice to have a kicker for the next 4yrs instead of having a revolving door?? It would be nice to just sit back and relax when we are about to kick an extra point or go for 3, and I may have found someone who fits the bill

Zane Gonzalez, ASU

Gonzalez finished his career in Tempe as the FBS record holder for most field goals made with 96 out of 116 attempts, an 83 percent clip. He won first-team All-American and All-Pac-12 recognition as a senior by connecting on 23-of-25 field goal attempts, including seven-of-nine kicks from over 50 yards (his previous long was 49 yards)

Gonzalez ranked second in the FBS with 26 field goal makes in 2015, including a conference-record six-field goal effort against Cal.

He's also boomed 126-of-167 kickoffs (75 percent) for touchbacks over the past two seasons. The Texas native was a second-team All-Pac-12 honoree in 2014 (22-of-27 FG) and first-team all-conference pick as a true freshman (25-of-30 FG, school-record 138 points).

Has a powerful lower body and gets good trajectory on long-distance kicks. Has continued to add size and leg strength. Nailed 13 or 15 kicks of 40-plus yards this season including seven of nine from 50-plus.

Kicks have desired end over end rotation. Finished career as the 24th most accurate kicker in FBS history. Banged kickoffs into touchbacks at a rate of 75 percent over the last two seasons. Has good operation time with hasty approach to strike the ball. His obsessive-compulsive disorder helps to create an orderly approach that has in part led to his success.

four-year starter who has steadily increased his kickoff distance and range as a field goal kicker. As the most prolific field goal kicker in FBS history, Gonzalez has a good chance of being drafted and becoming an instant starter.-Lance Zierlein
    1st- OJ Howard or David Njoku, TE
    2nd- Dion Dawkins, OT/OG
    3rd- Jaleel Johnson, DT
    4th- Samaje Perine, RB
    5th- Damontae Kazee, CB
    6th- Ejuan Price, DE/OLB
    7th- Tedric Thompson, FS

Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

I have heard that they really like the young kicker they have. I think it would be unlikely they bring in another inexperienced kicker in the draft to compete with him. I'd expect to see a vet in camp.

Veteran
    I have been putting Zane name out there. I agree if he is still there in the 6th or 7th round. Daniel Carlson (Auburn) will be available next year.

As an ASU fan, I would love to have Gonzalez. He is real good and better than Aguayo was in college. With that said, you would have to spend probably a 5th rounder to get him and I am not sure if I want to use a 5th rounder on a kicker. Jake Elliot from Memphis is also pretty good and you can get him in the 7th or maybe even as a UDFA.

Quote Originally Posted by tdawg1413 View Post
    As an ASU fan, I would love to have Gonzalez. He is real good and better than Aguayo was in college. With that said, you would have to spend probably a 5th rounder to get him and I am not sure if I want to use a 5th rounder on a kicker. Jake Elliot from Memphis is also pretty good and you can get him in the 7th or maybe even as a UDFA.
    agreed. i also heard i think it was Art Stapleton say that he spoke with Jeff Feagles and Feagles says to watch out for Aldrick Rosas, whos currently on the team. Says he has a big leg and wouldnt be surprised to see him win the job. and obviously i trust a Giant great Feagles so maybe we dont even need a kicker??

I'm not a fan of drafting kickers. You rob yourself of the upside a positional player brings.

Let the other teams draft kickers and then sign someone.

Ask yourself this question: Of all the Giants Super Bowl teams, has the kicker ever been a guy the Giants drafted?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    I'm not a fan of drafting kickers. You rob yourself of the upside a positional player brings.

Let the other teams draft kickers and then sign someone.

Ask yourself this question: Of all the Giants Super Bowl teams, has the kicker ever been a guy the Giants drafted?
    Does that mean we can't win a super bowl if we draft one??

I hate when people compare older sb teams like that's the only formula to win a sb. All 4 sb teams had 4 different chemistry and team makeups

All I was suggesting was that we draft the most prolific kicker in college football and it's 1 less position you have to worry about. I'm not saying draft him in the 1st 5 rounds, but maybe the 6th or 7 th
    1st- OJ Howard or David Njoku, TE
    2nd- Dion Dawkins, OT/OG
    3rd- Jaleel Johnson, DT
    4th- Samaje Perine, RB
    5th- Damontae Kazee, CB
    6th- Ejuan Price, DE/OLB
    7th- Tedric Thompson, FS

Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

No. We have a kicker already.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

It is rare that the Giants use a draft pick on a kicker

Giants only draft 3 since the SB runs. With some hindsight one would have had a long career.as a Giant.

Ali Haji-Sheikh 1983 in the 7th

Matt Stover 1990 in the 12th on IR the entire 1990 season then released and the rest is history (Probably one of the best ever)

Todd Peterson 1993 7th round Never made the field for the Giants never had a chance with Brad Daluiso on the roster

A great kicker is becoming more important with the more difficult extra point. I wouldnt be against it if he is a dan bailey type in the giants eyes