+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Veteran

Potentially very interesting --- Reese attends Zach Cunningham pro-day

Veteran
    I was down on Cunningham after looking at his body at the combine but after reading this article I went and looked at some game film and a couple of highlight packages on him.

His play speed is lightening quick, aggressive -- decisive ---- did NOT realize this kid was such an attacking beast.

Considering his body-type long/lean and folks saying he will likely be a 4-3 WIL in the pro's --- kind of reminds me of shorter L-Floyd (maybe without the sack production) but with MAJOR UPSIDE on overall tackling/coverage production.

The way this kid produces / attacks --- if our strong/big front-line could keep OL off him -- he might be an extremely productive LB for us.

He's good NOT great. I wouldnt MIND him but I dont WANT him, especially in the 1st..... well unless Howard, Njoku, Red****, Foster, Fournette, and Lamp were gone
    1st- OJ Howard or David Njoku, TE
    2nd- Dion Dawkins, OT/OG
    3rd- Jaleel Johnson, DT
    4th- Samaje Perine, RB
    5th- Damontae Kazee, CB
    6th- Ejuan Price, DE/OLB
    7th- Tedric Thompson, FS

Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Veteran
    Really depends what Reese/Spags/Giants think they are missing on this defense.

Red**** -- himself said he is an inside 3-4 LB and I've seen other folks saying he is an inside backer in either a 4/3 or 3/4.

When the Giants were drooling over Floyd last year -- word on the street was they were projecting him as 4/3 WIL who would/could stay on the field all 3 plays...basically rushing the passer...playing the run and dropping in coverage.

In looking/wanting Floyd so badly -- it could be an indicator that is a/the position Spags thinks can take the D to another level.

Cunningham is speculated to be a 4-3 WIL backer in the NFL --- it's possible the Giants see a similar impact player that they did with Floyd.
    I remember early in the process their were tons of growns when Reese was chasing too tall---too skinny Floyd but by draft time he was one of hottest names/risers in the process.

The thought of adding SPEED -- at least a LB that plays very fast --- to our D would be exciting. We have a solid front (especially if Hank comes back), we have a very solid back 4. If we added a big-time impact WIL (with great play speed) -- it could take our D to another level. Might also help us cover TE/RB better on passing plays.

Probably a good thing the Giants didn't get Floyd. He had a mediocre season last year and I just see him getting injured at some point because of the build of his body. Can you imagine if the Giants every year actually wanted a specific player during the draft and other teams keep on picking them. It then forces the Giants to go to "Plan B" but Plan B has been more effective than who they've been actually targeting. lol, that would be hilarious.

How is Zach Cunningham a 1st round talent? NFL.com has him ranked as a 5.9 which would put him in 2nd round territory. If Bill Belichick was at his pro day too... wouldn't that mean that they were interested in him as a 2nd round pick? Since they don't have a 1st rounder because of that trade that they made?
    Last edited by compaqnigg; 03-17-2017 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingBlue123 View Post
    I was down on Cunningham after looking at his body at the combine but after reading this article I went and looked at some game film and a couple of highlight packages on him.

His play speed is lightening quick, aggressive -- decisive ---- did NOT realize this kid was such an attacking beast.

Considering his body-type long/lean and folks saying he will likely be a 4-3 WIL in the pro's --- kind of reminds me of shorter L-Floyd (maybe without the sack production) but with MAJOR UPSIDE on overall tackling/coverage production.

The way this kid produces / attacks --- if our strong/big front-line could keep OL off him -- he might be an extremely productive LB for us.
    LOL so you didn't like him because the way his body looked and never even watched him play? Sorry that just made me laugh. It seems like the best picks Reese makes in the 1st round are guys that this board generally scratches their head about and don't love the pick (Beckham and Pugh come to mind). Cunningham would fit that profile IMO.

People would freak out until he gets 100 tackles.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

Quote Originally Posted by compaqnigg View Post
    Probably a good thing the Giants didn't get Floyd. He had a mediocre season last year and I just see him getting injured at some point because of the build of his body. Can you imagine if the Giants every year actually wanted a specific player during the draft and other teams keep on picking them. It then forces the Giants to go to "Plan B" but Plan B has been more effective than who they've been actually targeting. lol, that would be hilarious.

How is Zach Cunningham a 1st round talent? NFL.com has him ranked as a 5.9 which would put him in 2nd round territory. If Bill Belichick was at his pro day too... wouldn't that mean that they were interested in him as a 2nd round pick? Since they don't have a 1st rounder because of that trade that they made?
    The Pats don't pick until round 3 actually. Who cares what NFL.com ranked him as. That is just one source. There are 32 NFL teams and it just takes 1. More than that I doubt he lasts until our round 2 pick.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

Last year NFL.com had Karl Joseph ranked arounds the 40s, which was crazy because he had the best tape out of any safety. Raiders loved what they saw and took him at 9, and he had a pretty good first year for them.

I could absolutely see Cunningham being a first round talent, I don't see his light frame being an issue, the guy is a footballer and an athlete I'll be shocked if he isn't a good pro.

Veteran
    The Pats can get a 1st and even a second should they trade Jimmy G.

What position does Casillas plays, isn't he the Captain of the defense ?

Quote Originally Posted by IrishMike357 View Post
    LOL so you didn't like him because the way his body looked and never even watched him play? Sorry that just made me laugh. It seems like the best picks Reese makes in the 1st round are guys that this board generally scratches their head about and don't love the pick (Beckham and Pugh come to mind). Cunningham would fit that profile IMO.

People would freak out until he gets 100 tackles.
    You have to watch him play, he hits hard, he is a sideline to sideline linebacker who has length and really good athletic ability. I really like Red**** but the majority of his time at Temple has been as a pass rusher. Cunningham is very good at shedding blocks and diagnosing plays. Apparently everyone in the SEC thought so because he was a first team SEC linebacker twice. I think he has more range than Ruben Foster. Behind our d line a rush linebacker ck would be deadly, it is the piece we were missing last year.