+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but what do you guys think about Ben Boulware?
    I love the grit he has but he might be too much of a throwback, 2 down LB. However, if there is one guy in this draft you better not count out I'd say its Boulware. The guy will come in and outwork ANYONE.

Boulware would be the first LB taken if he was athletic. He is just a gritty football player. He had 130+ tackles each of the last two seasons, also lead the team in missed tackles though. He must be involved in every play of D. Here are his combine stats compared to Raekwon McMillan though (#1 rated true MLB).

Bench- 20 (Ben) vs 23 (Mc)
    Vert- 29.5 vs 33
    Broad- 111 vs 121
    3 cone- 7.02 vs 7.15
    20 yard- 4.43 vs 4.39
    60 yard- 12.13 vs 11.84
    Arm Length- 30.5" vs 33"
    I think more than anything his 6' height and short arms might hold him back. The kid can play though. Reminds me of our own Mark Herzlich (other than being 4" shorter). The dude has made a living in the NFL playing special teams.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

I watched some highlights of Zach Cunningham and something popped out at me instantly: This kid tackles with his arms WAY too much. He clings onto offensive players with his arms like a kid trying to cling to a merry-go-round without falling off: https://youtu.be/nhnErfbemTE?t=15s

Don't like it one bit. You can get away with that at the college level but when you are trying to tackle grown men at the NFL level that style of tackling isn't going to work. Try tackling someone like Marshawn Lynch like that and you will be taken on the merry-go-round ride.

Really bad tackling technique. That's a red flag, speaking of red flags. I saw in a couple of videos of him horse collar tackling people. He has good instincts but bad tackling technique. Dude is a project. Giants need a contributor in the 1st year. No thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by compaqnigg View Post
    I watched some highlights of Zach Cunningham and something popped out at me instantly: This kid tackles with his arms WAY too much. He clings onto offensive players with his arms like a kid trying to cling to a merry-go-round without falling off: https://youtu.be/nhnErfbemTE?t=15s

Don't like it one bit. You can get away with that at the college level but when you are trying to tackle grown men at the NFL level that style of tackling isn't going to work. Try tackling someone like Marshawn Lynch like that and you will be taken on the merry-go-round ride.

Really bad tackling technique. That's a red flag, speaking of red flags. I saw in a couple of videos of him horse collar tackling people. He has good instincts but bad tackling technique. Dude is a project. Giants need a contributor in the 1st year. No thanks!
    if he's there in the 2nd I'd take him. I wouldn't touch him in the 1st. Should be better players available at 23.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedBlue15 View Post
    if he's there in the 2nd I'd take him. I wouldn't touch him in the 1st. Should be better players available at 23.
    Agreed, not a big fan of taking him in the 1st, but wouldn't mind him in the 2nd
    1st- OJ Howard or David Njoku, TE
    2nd- Dion Dawkins, OT/OG
    3rd- Jaleel Johnson, DT
    4th- Samaje Perine, RB
    5th- Damontae Kazee, CB
    6th- Ejuan Price, DE/OLB
    7th- Tedric Thompson, FS

Come check the G-Fambulance and The Scarf Soldiers every home game in Lot L6, and like us on facebook and instagam 'NYG Scarf Soldiers'

Veteran
    Charles Harris look fluid and quick at combine. Can he play LB ?

Quote Originally Posted by compaqnigg View Post

I agree his tackling technique needs improvement.

His big thing is that he can get in position to make plays.

There will be plenty of good tacklers that won't sniff the NFL because they can't process the play quick enough.

He can, and thats much harder to teach than tackling technique.

There are a couple better options in this draft, but don't write this kid off. If we got him in the 2nd, it would be a steal from where we draft.
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

Quote Originally Posted by poppa smurph View Post
    I agree his tackling technique needs improvement.

His big thing is that he can get in position to make plays.

There will be plenty of good tacklers that won't sniff the NFL because they can't process the play quick enough.

He can, and thats much harder to teach than tackling technique.

There are a couple better options in this draft, but don't write this kid off. If we got him in the 2nd, it would be a steal from where we draft.
    Exactly. His awarness or nose for the football is great and with proper coaching , his arm tackles will cease to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBookOfEli View Post
    Exactly. His awarness or nose for the football is great and with proper coaching , his arm tackles will cease to exist.
    Agree with you both. Also at least I don't have to worry about him being one of those guys that never try to wrap up the ball carrier and just try to knock them down lol.
    LT (132.5) -> Strahan (141.5) -> Osi (65) -> Tuck (60.5) -> JPP (50) -> ???
    "Next man up"

The statements in this post reflect the opinions of the poster and don't not reflect the opinion of the the New York Giants, the State of New York or any New York Giants Personnel. These are only opinions and unless specifically called "facts" they should be treated as the opinions of the poster.

Bench Player
    As mentioned in an earlier thread, Spags has alot of pull with this front office and he wanted a do it all (cover,blitz, play zone ,play run) quick twitch LB with length last year and almost got him in Floyd. Cunningham may be the closest thing to Floyd in this year's draft. TJ Watt with some seasoning could be too. Giants clearly want that type of dynamic for Spags D.