+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reese Attends Vanderbilt Pro Day

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-gi...ham-at-pro-day

This was the most important part of the article IMO:

"Reese only gets out to a few pro days each year. So any time he’s spotted on a college campus checking out prospects with his own eyes, it is notable.

In 2014, Reese was seen at LSU and Alabama’s pro days. The Giants selected LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. in the first round that year.

In 2015, Reese was seen at Miami, LSU and Alabama’s pro days. The Giants selected Miami offensive tackle Ereck Flowers in the first round and traded up for Alabama safety Landon Collins in the second round that year.

The Giants general manager was also in attendance at Georgia’s pro day last year where he received a long look at linebacker Leonard Floyd. He was a target of the Giants who was selected one slot before they selected Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple."

So it seems the last few years Reese has been at a pro day of a player he would select in the 1st round. I think Cunningham is very possible. He can cover and he's all over the field. He's a 3 down player IMO. He could stand to improve on taking on a blocker and being physical, but he is a good cover LB and is always around the ball flying all over the field. From what i've watched he covered the RB out of the backfield a lot and was pretty good at always sticking with the RB, which the Giants have struggled with for awhile it seems.

I personally would like this pick alot. And as Jordan states in the article, it's not like Vanderbilt is a normal stop like Alabama or something. Clemson pro day was today and he skipped that, which has many more pro prospects, to be at Vandy

So maybe this is a sign of who Giants want to target if he's available. I know the Giants havent taken a LB in round 1 since 84, but it seems with all beat writers saying Giants were targeting Floyd last year and now potentially Cunningham this year, maybe Reese is ready to buck the trend? Cunningham was First Team All SEC and First Team All-Pro in 2016.

Cunningham is on a long list of players i'd be ok with the Giants taking in round 1. But he's near the upper half of players id like the Giants to take.

Here's some links to vids of Cunningham

Draft Breakdown
    http://draftbreakdown.com/players/zach-cunningham/

Highlight vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCl0Nw5QJ20

EDIT: Whoops didnt see the other thread when i posted this lol my bad
    Last edited by gibril28wilson; 03-16-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Thanks for sharing, this is noteworthy.

Veteran
    Belichek was there. But, Reese will be at other Pro Day.

Makes sense. Cunningham is a talented kid but his body type will leave some ?s as a first rounder. Reese in their obviously trying to answer some of those questions for himself. I for one think Cunningham plays much stronger than he looks and would welcome this guy on our roster.

Please get the man in my sig, Reese!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gibril28wilson View Post
    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-gi...ham-at-pro-day

This was the most important part of the article IMO:

"Reese only gets out to a few pro days each year. So any time he’s spotted on a college campus checking out prospects with his own eyes, it is notable.

In 2014, Reese was seen at LSU and Alabama’s pro days. The Giants selected LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. in the first round that year.

In 2015, Reese was seen at Miami, LSU and Alabama’s pro days. The Giants selected Miami offensive tackle Ereck Flowers in the first round and traded up for Alabama safety Landon Collins in the second round that year.

The Giants general manager was also in attendance at Georgia’s pro day last year where he received a long look at linebacker Leonard Floyd. He was a target of the Giants who was selected one slot before they selected Ohio State cornerback Eli Apple."

So it seems the last few years Reese has been at a pro day of a player he would select in the 1st round. I think Cunningham is very possible. He can cover and he's all over the field. He's a 3 down player IMO. He could stand to improve on taking on a blocker and being physical, but he is a good cover LB and is always around the ball flying all over the field. From what i've watched he covered the RB out of the backfield a lot and was pretty good at always sticking with the RB, which the Giants have struggled with for awhile it seems.

I personally would like this pick alot. And as Jordan states in the article, it's not like Vanderbilt is a normal stop like Alabama or something. Clemson pro day was today and he skipped that, which has many more pro prospects, to be at Vandy

So maybe this is a sign of who Giants want to target if he's available. I know the Giants havent taken a LB in round 1 since 84, but it seems with all beat writers saying Giants were targeting Floyd last year and now potentially Cunningham this year, maybe Reese is ready to buck the trend? Cunningham was First Team All SEC and First Team All-Pro in 2016.

Cunningham is on a long list of players i'd be ok with the Giants taking in round 1. But he's near the upper half of players id like the Giants to take.

Here's some links to vids of Cunningham

Draft Breakdown
    http://draftbreakdown.com/players/zach-cunningham/

Highlight vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCl0Nw5QJ20

EDIT: Whoops didnt see the other thread when i posted this lol my bad
    Its funny how I just got done reading through this thread regarding Cunningham and his pro day when I ran into one of the Vanderbilt football players heading out to meetings/workouts etc. Yes I work at Vanderbilt University. I do talk to some of the athletes from time to time in the course of my shift. I tend to follow Vandy a little closer, not because I work for them, but down here in Tennessee, in SEC country, Vanderbilt has been the underdog for the most part in division 1 football.

On Wednesday night, one of the WRs that I talk to fairly regular, asked me if I was going to attend the Pro Day. I told him that since I work the graveyard shift, I will be sleeping when the workout took place. Plus I did not know if anyone outside of Vandy athletics and NFL personnel were allowed to attend, since they held the workouts in the indoor workout facility as opposed to the stadium.

Getting back to this morning. I told the player that was heading to practice that I was just reading a couple links about how Jerry Reese attended the pro day yesterday, and how Reese is not known to attend too many pro days. Now take it for what its worth, but this football player said that Cunningham spent a lot of time with Reese yesterday. And according to this player and Cunningham, they feel that it may come down to the Giants, Titans and maybe the Patriots as the landing spot for Cunningham's services.

Now, in my opinion, I think the Titans address a WR with 1 of their 1st rd picks, and maybe a DB with the other. And the Titans run an attacking 3-4 **** LeBeau defense. And as for the Patriots, maybe they think Cunningham will drop to the 2nd rd and be available then, since they dont have a 1st rd pick after the Cooks trade. But who knows, maybe Belichek and company are planning on getting a 1st rd pick should they trade Garrapolo to the Browns?

I have read a lot of the pros and cons regarding Cunningham by "analysts" and mock drafts. Heck I have seen mocks showing the Chiefs and Redskins taking Cunningham in Rd 1. So I guess anything can happen. Cunningham probably would fit best in a 4-3 as a Will backer. He can fly around and make some plays. He can cover, has good insticts/smarts and has a high motor. I'm sure he will add some muscle to his frame when he gets into the NFL. I think I read that he weighed in at 235 or 236 for his pro day?

I know the Giants need to address O-line and TE come draft time, but if Reese thinks Cunningham is the BPA at 23 and/or other 1st rd targets are already gone, I would be ok with Cunningham at 23.

I know I have not posted on here in quite some time(actually I used to post in here under a different account, I forgot that I created this account). But I am not trying to troll or think that I have the insider info. I have nothing to gain by doing that, I just wanted to share a tidbit based on the title of this thread. We all know that the draft can be very unpredictable, especially in the 1st round.

Speaking of Vandy. Did you see the kid yesterday intentionally foul with 13/14 seconds left​ and up 1 point?

Guess he lost track of how many could they had to give or something?? Then ended up losing by 2
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
    But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
    4-New York Giants!!!
    5-NE
    Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Depending on who is still there at 23, there are plenty of scenarios where I would be really happy with him at 23. I've watched a lot of him in college and the guy has an incredible nose for the ball and understands gaps extremely well. Plus it's about time we focus on LB early in the draft.
    2017 Mock Draft (Pre-combine / FA):

Rd 1: OJ Howard (TE, Alabama)
    Rd 2: Tanoh Kpassagnon (DE, Villanova)
    Rd 3: Antonio Garcia (OT, Troy)
    Rd 4: Samaje Perine (RB, Oklahoma)
    Rd 5: Davis Webb (QB, Cal)
    Rd 6: Ahkello Witherspoon (CB, Colorado)
    Rd 7: DJ Jones (DT, Ole Miss)

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    Speaking of Vandy. Did you see the kid yesterday intentionally foul with 13/14 seconds left​ and up 1 point?

Guess he lost track of how many could they had to give or something?? Then ended up losing by 2
    felt sooo bad for that kid.....but i also took Northwestern in my bracket sooo thanks kid! lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post

Yeah those last 2 Vandy possessions definitely lost the game for them. Fisher-Davis admitted to his mistake by intentionally fouling the kid from Northwestern. But even after the free throws, Vandy could have won it with a 2. The PG, LeChance, shooting a 30 foot 3 pointer had me shaking my head.