+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gino Smith is not a good choice as backup

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    hence why one of the very first things I said in this thread is that I think he is the best back up in the league

but if this O line gets Elis 36 year old body hit often enough and his season ends this teams season ends ... it really is as simple as that
    It's "probably" over. I can see guys stepping up.
    In that case.....hope would spring eternal.
    "Typical Morehead!"..................and he didn't even mean that as a compliment..

I like the geno choice. As someone one said if Eli goes down for a few games geno has enough experience to
    run some of this offense and with a very good D he can win a few games.

There are very few teams that can plug in their back-up QB and win it all.
    Jeff Hostetler was an exception to the rule and its was not a full season I believe Sims went
    down in the 13 th or 14th game of the season.

Geno has potential. Remember he was on the Jets!! : )

LT - Carson - Kelley - Van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    I don't think Geno's salary would have gotten us a good LT...
    So it comes down to Eli's salary.

Without taking into consideration that there are no good LTs available, let's say Eli was making half as much, he's only counting about 11 mil against the cap.

That wouldn't have been enough to get a 36 year old LT. So your point is invalid.

Let's say eli isnt on the team and we sign an LT like okung to the same deal he got.

Do you feel comfortable with handing Geno the keys? Or Nassib?

You're saying that since we won 11 games because of the defense then we could have replaced Eli and still won because of the defense.

One, we don't know this, the offense would have been worse. We would have lost some of our close games where we came back to win. Other than Brady I don't see any other qb that can release the ball in 2.3 seconds and be as successful.

Having a mobile qb to extend plays isn't a guarantee for success either.

Russell Wilson has a similar oline and had a worse season. So it is doubtful we would have won 11 games with just anyone.

Now that we finally have some weapons on offense I would rather we trot out Eli who knows the system, has won in the past instead of just having unused cap space and a scrub behind center.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSaint View Post
    So it comes down to Eli's salary.

Without taking into consideration that there are no good LTs available, let's say Eli was making half as much, he's only counting about 11 mil against the cap.

That wouldn't have been enough to get a 36 year old LT. So your point is invalid.
    You took a lot of liberties with what I said... wow! I don't believe I mentioned Eli's salary once.... we are talking about a backup QB, and if we could have gotten a decent LT at the salary of Gino. Please refer to the title of the thread to clear up any confusion. As you correctly stated, there wasn't really any LTs available, and they were all over-priced. Clearly we agree on this, since what you quoted me saying was exactly that, although by your logic, because you agree with me, my point is invalid.

Let's say eli isnt on the team and we sign an LT like okung to the same deal he got.

Do you feel comfortable with handing Geno the keys? Or Nassib?
    Please point to any post that I have ever made in ANY thread suggesting Geno or Nassib could or should be the starter for the Giants over Eli. Once again, extreme liberties with what I actually stated.

I feel quite comfortable handing the keys to Geno for a few games and feel the team could win some of those games because of the defense. Let's hope we don't have to find out....

You're saying that since we won 11 games because of the defense then we could have replaced Eli and still won because of the defense.

One, we don't know this, the offense would have been worse. We would have lost some of our close games where we came back to win. Other than Brady I don't see any other qb that can release the ball in 2.3 seconds and be as successful.
    I am saying that is what happened last year... and that numbers prove that. There were only 6 offenses in the NFL worse at putting up points last year. Take that however you want, but the offense didn't have a whole lot of impact on the games won.

The second part of the last portion I quoted just proves what I said in a previous post. You are correct, NO QB could have flourished under the conditions that Eli faced at times. That being a point we agree on, and the fact that the Giants offense ranked among the worst in the NFL... the offense performed exactly as one would expect, regardless of who was at QB. It wouldn't have been much better with Brady, and clearly couldn't be a whole lot worse with just about any other QB starting in the league.

Having a mobile qb to extend plays isn't a guarantee for success either.
    I never mentioned a mobile QB

Russell Wilson has a similar oline and had a worse season. So it is doubtful we would have won 11 games with just anyone.
    Seattle scored 22.1 points a game, the Giants scored 19.4.

Now that we finally have some weapons on offense I would rather we trot out Eli who knows the system, has won in the past instead of just having unused cap space and a scrub behind center.
    So it seems your entire argument against me is that you think I suggested replacing Eli with someone else. Let me put your mind at ease, that is not what I suggested. What I did suggest was that the offensive production can't really drop a whole lot more, so if Gino had to come in for a few games, the defense would likely be able to carry the team for a few games and keep them in the hunt until Eli returns.

To summarize, since you seem really confused by my simple statement...

Gino isn't replacing Eli
    There was no good LTs in FA that they could realistically sign
    The offense was really bad last year
    The offense isn't likely to get better unless the O-line surprises us
    The defense appears to be poised to carry the team again
    The offense would still suck with Gino or any other QB behind center
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    Sure I do. And he's had an excellent career and is an all time great in the organization. Not trying to get into some broad Eli debate. But there is no way any knowledgeable, objective football fan would ever argue he played well last year. I get that he was playing behind a crappy line and had no run game, but that doesn't mean he played well in spite of that.

Saying Eli didn't play well last year isn't being a hater. It's just being factually accurate. The Giants went 11-5 because of an excellent defense and Beckham's big play ability. Eli was not driving those wins.

I wonder about the relevance of the initial statement and subsequent defense of it since what you're saying is true for so few QBs in the league.

wasn't the Geno singing supposed to be announced today? might he have failed his physical?
    Last edited by Donnie Yen; 03-20-2017 at 02:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread