+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post

in my opinion he is the best back up in the entire league
    I'm fine with the signing but I don't know about best backup in the league. Matt Moore comes to mind, for one. AJ McCarron? Drew Stanton? Just because Geno has had starting NFL QB experience doesn't automatically make him the best backup in the league. The guy was a total bust as a starter and was benched. He was worse than Mark Sanchez and definitely worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick. How is he the best backup?

Quote Originally Posted by 50yeargiantsfan View Post
    Coming off an ACL makes him questionable. The guy has a case of the swollen head. There are many better backups available. Ryan Nassib should be brought back a much better choice.Smith's performance record is not good.
    +1.....he stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by 50yeargiantsfan View Post
    Coming off an ACL makes him questionable. The guy has a case of the swollen head. There are many better backups available. Ryan Nassib should be brought back a much better choice.Smith's performance record is not good.
    Why is he a better choice than Nassib? Smith has started a lot more games

It doesn't matter who the back up is ... if Eli goes down the team is finished
    Geno is the perfect choice

Disagree. Our team is built around the defense now. Eli was horrible last year, and they still got in the playoffs.

It's not all about Eli anymore. Sorry but that is just not the case. They won games in spite of him last year... not because of him.

Id rather Nassib, but whatever. Nassib is still unsigned, like Cruz and Hankins.
    Spin that Webb young Davis

Banned
    Smith is not my personal choice, but I actually don't know who is left out there in FA. But like others said, Eli has been an iron man at his position. Hopefully the only time we see Smith at QB, if he makes the final 53, will be in preseason or mop up duty during a game out of reach.

Who knows, maybe going to another team and system,with some stability, may be what Smith needs? And no I'm not saying he is going to become a Pro Bowler.

All-Pro
    What is wrong with a back up QB who was a two year starter in the league ?

in my opinion he is the best back up in the entire league

The idea in a perfect world is he will never play

Eli wasn't exactly a difference maker last year, and the offense did little to actually win games. The defense was the reason they won so many games and made the playoffs. The offense ranked 26th in scoring last year, averaging just 19.4 points a game. I don't think starting Nassib could possibly have resulted in much worse results. Before everyone jumps all over me, that isn't a slight on Eli, what I am saying is that it doesn't matter who the QB is, the results would still be pretty bad until they fix the underlying issues on the line.

I have heard many on here say that Brady wouldn't be any better behind this O-line. I don't know that I agree with that, but let's go with that for arguments sake. If that is the case, then it doesn't matter who is at QB, the offense is still bad. So why bother paying the salary for a good one, especially for a backup? So, I agree, it doesn't matter who the back up is, but I don't agree the team is finished if Eli goes down.
    My goal had been to win a championship, work toward the Hall of Fame, have my jersey retired by the team and I`d go in as a lifelong New York Giant, but I`m now resigned to the fact that this won`t happen. -- Michael Strahan, just when you think you're down...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    Disagree. Our team is built around the defense now. Eli was horrible last year, and they still got in the playoffs.

It's not all about Eli anymore. Sorry but that is just not the case. They won games in spite of him last year... not because of him.
    you clearly don't understand the responsibility that Eli holds within this offense

but that's ok ... not many do

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    Eli wasn't exactly a difference maker last year, and the offense did little to actually win games. The defense was the reason they won so many games and made the playoffs. The offense ranked 26th in scoring last year, averaging just 19.4 points a game. I don't think starting Nassib could possibly have resulted in much worse results. Before everyone jumps all over me, that isn't a slight on Eli, what I am saying is that it doesn't matter who the QB is, the results would still be pretty bad until they fix the underlying issues on the line.

I have heard many on here say that Brady wouldn't be any better behind this O-line. I don't know that I agree with that, but let's go with that for arguments sake. If that is the case, then it doesn't matter who is at QB, the offense is still bad. So why bother paying the salary for a good one, especially for a backup? So, I agree, it doesn't matter who the back up is, but I don't agree the team is finished if Eli goes down.
    Because you reload, you have a qb that can win it. Fix the rest of the pieces instead of introducing another unknown into the equation.