+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Someone estimated next years # being at around 35 to 37 or so. Take off JPPs Cap hit of 17 plus and you can see trying to bring back both Pugh & Richberg won't leave much money to do anything else

Of course there will be Cuts and restructuring like always to free up more space but you can see the Giants will not be major players in FA the next 2-3 years in FA at least till Eli comes off books but they will have Odell to re sign that year so.....
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    After losing seasons 2013-15, the giants put up 11 wins in 16.. they are on way Back
    But for now we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, Denver
    4-New York Giants!!!
    5-NE
    Let's make it 5 in 2016 so we can be on a LINE NE again!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by uther99 View Post
    3 years 36 million is a lot for a 35 year old tackle. I don't think that is a great use of cap, but that's my opinion. time will tell.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brown View Post
    Whitworth.

The real answer to all of this is they should have drafted Tunsil when they had the chance. Unfortunately they were scared off because the guy did a bong hit in high school.

Good move there. How can anyone ever trust or respect someone who tried weed in high school? God forbid...
    The Tunsil weed argument is not the whole picture. For one thing he had some flags with his health (Ankle) , he had a DV charge against his mother and father. The weed was no big deal, should have not been an issue , add the pushing his mother charges and step father. Now there is a pattern of bad behavior. With the Josh brown investigation, the giants did not need anymore bad NY press pertaining to violent acts of aggression towards women. They had to pass on him.

You guys need to stop with this he smoked weed argument because there were more facts that contributed to him falling in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by TEM View Post
    Exactly

The Tunsil weed argument is not the whole picture. For one thing he had some flags with his health (Ankle) , he had a DV charge against his mother and father. The weed was no big deal, should have not been an issue , add the pushing his mother charges and step father. Now there is a pattern of bad behavior. With the Josh brown investigation, the giants did not need anymore bad NY press pertaining to violent acts of aggression towards women. They had to pass on him.

You guys need to stop with this he smoked weed argument because there were more facts that contributed to him falling in the draft.
    He was a top three talent who fell pretty far. Sure, maybe it was a risk, but it was also a high reward. The Giants had an opportunity to get a franchise left tackle at 10th overall. If they were picking 4th or 5th and they decided to pass, I get it. At 10th it was worth the risk. I was praying they'd take him on draft day and I still wish they had.

If you're super risk averse then you don't get the reward. Simple as that. Imagine how sick our team would be right now if we had Tunsil on the team entering his sophomore NFL season.

With Fluker that "could" be an improvement. They have also added a FB/TE who is a very good blocker, that will help as well. I hope they don't think Flowers is the answer at LT.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by uther99 View Post
    3 years 36 million is a lot for a 35 year old tackle. I don't think that is a great use of cap, but that's my opinion. time will tell.
    The OL has been more of a fan issue than a team issue. This is the same OL that was involved with an 11 win season and a playoof berth. The real problem was the inability to score TDs, especially in the red zone.

All-Pro
    Whitworth is still a high quality left tackle. PFF graded his signing an A.
    Will they change their grade when he plays less than 8 games next season? That's and incredibly physical position for a 36 year old, and I am glad we didn't pay him.
    Last edited by DandyDon; 03-18-2017 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JameyC View Post
    The OL has been more of a fan issue than a team issue. This is the same OL that was involved with an 11 win season and a playoof berth. The real problem was the inability to score TDs, especially in the red zone.
    How is the OL not a real issue? The offense was lousy this past year. Receivers weren't the problem. If you listen to just about everyone here, the QB is not to blame. OK sure, we lacked RB depth and an elite TE, but that really just leaves the line. It was for sure a legitimate problem. Not just something in the fans' heads.

How is the OL not a real issue? The offense was lousy this past year. Receivers weren't the problem. If you listen to just about everyone here, the QB is not to blame. OK sure, we lacked RB depth and an elite TE, but that really just leaves the line. It was for sure a legitimate problem. Not just something in the fans' heads.
    I wouldn't say the WR's are free of blame. Victor Cruz, in particular.

http://nflsavant.com/game.php?team_c...16&tab=targets

He was just over 50% completion rate for targets caught. Less then our TE's.

That's not WR2 type numbers.

Pretty much every facet of the offense could be improved, not just the Oline.
    my beer drinking team has a football problem

Quote Originally Posted by JameyC View Post
    The OL, while not nearly as terrible as some fans want us to believe, is most definitely a major issue. The 11 wins happened because of stellar defensive play, with the offense getting very little credit, if any, for the wins.
    I write differently from what I speak, I speak differently from what I think, I think differently from the way I ought to think, and so it all proceeds into deepest darkness.
    ― Franz Kafka

Quote Originally Posted by U.S.M.C. VET View Post
    Not to sound like a total downer but I never really get worked up about personnel during the draft or offseason. I used to.I have had high hopes and been disappointed too often and my rule of thumb is wait till they get on the field. Show me something. I get sick of all the talk and hype. Preseason usually gives you a little idea of what you are in store for with your newbies. But as far as speculation goes....shut your mouths till you get on the field.
    This is exactly what many said about the defensive free agents Reese signed last year.